V8 in a Comanche?

Anyone put a v8 in their Comanche? We had a 04 Dodge that had the 4.7 V8 and we loved it. I would like to have something with a little more go than the 88 I-6.. It would be going in soon to be mine Red Comanche that is currently motorless. If I where to ask my cousin he would just say put in a 454...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

it's been done. :thumbsup: to varying degrees of success/failure. be prepared to spend tons of money, and then fight to keep the beast cool even after spending tons of money (mjs and xjs suffer from a small radiator opening and a tiny engine bay).

You would in better condition to do a high out put 4.0 swap in and put a turbo on it. Most likely cheaper and less work then trying to put in a V8. That would be fun...

Brandon

Go through the projects section, youll find several builds where people are doing this, either with 5.2, 5.9 MOPARS, or Chevy small blocks. I think Advance adapters makes mounts for the Chevy motors, but like Pete said, its gonna cost ya, and youll still have problems. Another option would be to get a stroked 4.0. Several companies build and sell them including MOPAR, but you may have cooling issues with one of them as well. If you need more power than the good ole 4.0 puts out, you just need a bigger truck.

Go through the projects section, youll find several builds where people are doing this, either with 5.2, 5.9 MOPARS, or Chevy small blocks. I think Advance adapters makes mounts for the Chevy motors, but like Pete said, its gonna cost ya, and youll still have problems. Another option would be to get a stroked 4.0. Several companies build and sell them including MOPAR, but you may have cooling issues with one of them as well. If you need more power than the good ole 4.0 puts out, you just need a bigger truck.

just to let you know i have stroked my 4.0 to a 4.6 and don't have any cooling issues :brows: i do have a 3core radiator in it this may have some impact. now if i can find some time to drop the d44 in it and a small lift i call it good. you can go to the jeep strokers sitehttp://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers/ and see what they have done :idea:

good luck

5.9L V8 Magnum is going into my '88MJ. It fits with room to spare, but I will be making completely custom engine mounts for it. I suspect cooling may be an issue, however, this engine came out of a 1998ZJ that had a similar engine bay and grill opening size and no cooling issues. I will be using a very large, high flowing electric radiator fan to keep the temps down at idle.

I hope to have the engine mounts completed by the end of this week.

I have a build thread, here: http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =7&t=15010

Around the end of page 2 is where I decided to change the course of the project and drop in a V8. Here is a summary of the project:

I will be using a 5.9L V8 Mopar Magnum engine and 46RE transmission out of a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited. The interior is going to be converted to the 97+XJ style (I have a '99XJ Sport donor). The exterior will also be converted to the 97+XJ style. I intend on using the body and engine harness from the '98ZJ 5.9L Limited and I will splice that into the interior wiring harness from the '99XJ Sport. I've done quite a bit of research on this and have talked to some other people that have done similar swaps and it looks like it can be done and the XJ instrument cluter will talk to the ZJ PCM over the Chrysler CCD Bus network (at least that's the hope).

The gas tank is still up in the air, but I believe that one out of a Dodge Dakota will work and I can adapt a fuel pump to work - I just need to check to make sure that my operating pressures are where they need to be.

Cooling system is still iffy, but I'm still researching that and have some ideas.

The engine mounts are going to be entirely custom and I intend on using as many factory tie-in points that I can to minimize the amount of drilling into the body/frame. The transmission cross member is out of a '98ZJ and was slightly modified to bolt up to the factory mounting locations.

Axles/gearing is another in-the-air item, but I'm thinking either 8.25 or D44 in the rear and a D30 up front with 4.10 gears.

Once the swap is complete and the vehicle can move under its own power and is running flawlessly, a Powerdyne supercharger and all accompanying modifications will be added to the engine. Tuning will be done via my SCT handheld device with the engine tunes coming from a professional tuner in North Carolina (Sean Powell). O2 readings will be continuously monitored and recorded with a Innovate Motorsports wideband and logger.

I was talking to one of my gem members today he said a Crown Vic. Electric fan moves massive amounts of air.. He put a V8 in a Toyota and had 4 of those Crown Vic fans on the radiator.. he said i stayed cool very well.. Next time i see him i will ask again see what he says.

The electric radiator fan on the 1998ZJ 5.9L Limited also moves a good deal of air. It's able to keep the 5.9L cool in the ZJ engine bay (which isn't much bigger than the XJ engine bay) so I should be okay with that. Some other good alternatives are the electric radiator fans out of a 4.6L V8 Thunderbird or a Ford Taurus. There are some options - just need to figure out which will be best...

5.9L V8 Magnum is going into my '88MJ. It fits with room to spare, but I will be making completely custom engine mounts for it. I suspect cooling may be an issue, however, this engine came out of a 1998ZJ that had a similar engine bay and grill opening size and no cooling issues. I will be using a very large, high flowing electric radiator fan to keep the temps down at idle.

I hope to have the engine mounts completed by the end of this week.

glad to see the 5.9L magnum fits well...I'm considering the same. though, I'm wanting to mate it to an NV3500 tranny to keep the manual shift :thumbsup:

I was looking at some V8 at Car-Part.com.... as i was reading i saw one that said "runs good" and another that said "ran Good" so is the second one not running any more?

May be a stupid question but i have no idea the what the going price is but is $700-$850 a good price for a Jeep/Dodge 5.9L?

I was looking at some V8 at Car-Part.com.... as i was reading i saw one that said "runs good" and another that said "ran Good" so is the second one not running any more?

May be a stupid question but i have no idea the what the going price is but is $700-$850 a good price for a Jeep/Dodge 5.9L?

Maybe it ran good before he pulled it, and has no way to test it currently as it is sitting on a skid?

I bought a 5.9L, trans, PCM and engine wiring harness for $600, I think. Defintely wasn't over that though.

I can't remember if you said yours came with a tranny or not.. where you doing 2WD or 4WD?

i am going to call before i drive over to get it from the JY.. even if it is only 15 min away

i don't remember but there were a few. i think mostly mid 90s from dodge ram vans and trucks. i would check the local JYs. the ones near me always have a mini warehouse of complete motors on skids and thats how it looked in the pics online