factory hidden winch photos

Here ya go Rob, some decent photos of your new baby. :D feel free to swing by anytime and pick her up. :thumbsup:

and because I can't just leave my truck naked (my bumper was part of the swap and the local code guy already has it in for me :fs1: )

(the winch is in the garage)

any questions? :D

Thats probably the only one in the country. You would think Jeep would have actually spent a little money and designed a different bumper for the winch option. Instead of just tacking on some extra stuff to fill in the gaps.

So the side brackets are just the tow hook brackets, with the bumper mount in a different place.

A winch set-up for a ARB bumper would be set-up to pull exactly the same way(out the bottom of the winch)....

and because I can't just leave my truck naked (my bumper was part of the swap and the local code guy already has it in for me :fs1: )

I dunno... looks just as good on your truck as it would on Rob's! :D

If you saw the condition of the truck, you wouldn't be so sad. At one time it was most likely a nice MJ, but that one time was a few owners ago...

3kd3ma3o75V65R45S2b32e443bdfc682a14d2.jpg

3nb3p83o35Q35R45S3b32f0989f9f6310158c.jpg

Better to save what you can and say goodbye.

Rob

Yeah I also saw it in the add but still its sad :(

Brandon

it's designed for bone stock rigs. also, it's made by amc. the stuff they built was either bulletproof, or it might kill you. :dunno:

With those little brackets on the bumper, one has to wonder if it had a factory brushguard also... Anyone know how those mounted?

Rob

I can see the little brackets on the front of your bumper in the brochure photo of the brush guard. same location anyway, though they look slightly different in the photo. I'll post the pic tomorrow.

also, this is the 6k lightweight model. there was also an 8k version.

week and flimsy.

I'm going to clone that for the 3800, using a '97 front bumper...but stronger brackets.

and you're damn right that wouldn't hold up. try a side pull with the fair lead running through that flimsy stamped sheet metal bumper...

Yep. I wonder what that truck looked like when it left the dealer's lot back in the day. Must have been one heck of a beautiful sight, with one proud owner behind the wheel. Brushguard, hidden winch... Who knows what else they might have checked... D44? 4.10's? LSD?

Damn shame.

Rob :(

So the side brackets are just the tow hook brackets, with the bumper mount in a different place.

Yes.

If you look closely, the factory tow hook brackets (unlike the aftermarket brackets from Rusty's, C4x4 and Quadratec) have two sets of mounting holes. One set is for a standard setup, the other set pushes the bumper forward by 4 inches (or is it 6 inches?) to make room for the winch. The winch plate itself actually mounts through the standard bumper bracket holes in ends of the uniframe ears.

Finally, some detailed pictures of the setup! Seems like nobody else ever wanted to share.

Can you tell how the spool leaver was accessed when on the truck? I assume through the opening on top of the bumper, but I want verification. Is the fairlead centered on the bumper? Is the space left on top of the bumper offset to one side of the other?

no, I completely got distracted by the winch and forgot to grab the vin. :(

also, this is the 6k lightweight model. there was also an 8k version.

Are you sure about that? The only references I've ever seen were for 5000 pounds or 6000 pounds.

got the numbers from the 86 accessories brochure. :dunno:

Finally, some detailed pictures of the setup! Seems like nobody else ever wanted to share.

Can you tell how the spool leaver was accessed when on the truck? I assume through the opening on top of the bumper, but I want verification. Is the fairlead centered on the bumper? Is the space left on top of the bumper offset to one side of the other?

I'll get that info when I get back home.

The fairlead and top access were centered. The winches were "clocked" 90 degrees, so the mounting feet were pointed back toward the radiator and the operating lever was facing up. I didn't see any on the 2010 trip to Chile for Christmas, but the last time I was there (a few years ago) it seemed like every Cherokee I saw had the hidden winch. There's some quirk in their registration laws that a vehicle with a winch gets classified as a work truck and pays lower taxes, so it was a popular option.