What color should I paint my truck?

Rymanrph

What color should I paint my truck?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What color should I paint my truck?

• Rescue Green
    • Silver or Gray
    • Metallic Blue
    • Orange
    • White
    • Moss Green
    • Other Blue
    • Gunmetal
    • Two-tone?
    • Something else?

When I sell my TJ, I'm going to start getting some quotes on repainting my '97 conversion. I can't seem to pick a color. Here are my guidelines though.

1. No Black

2. No Red

3. Body color bumper, black bumper end caps

4. Black fender flares

If it was yours, what color would you paint it? Body color grill or black?

I'm still waffling on what colour to paint mine. My short list:

- black

- silverstone (dark silver-grey)

- citron green (TJ medium green)

- steel blue (colour of my 2001 XJ)

- some shade of burgundy - forget the late XJ paint name/code

- white

This has been a citron green week. If it doesn't end up green it'll likely end up silverstone. I'll paint it Honda silverstone (vs Jeep) so that the Jeep matches the S2000 race car on the trailer it will be towing. :)

I would do it black, since that would be the much cheaper option.

BUT.... next I would choose a gunmetal color. It would look very sharp and look as if I came from the factory with a rare paint job. Its not black...its not silver... Silver looks good too, but for some reason it seems a bit "Look at me" on an MJ to me. Maybe I am just used to my TJ which is about 1/2 silver and 1/2 black.

I am glad to chose to eliminate red though... We don't need two of us on the forum ;)

Patriot Blue or my next favorite color is Inferno Red.

Inferno is like Chili Pepper Red but has more pearl and is gorgeous when it is clean.

I try not to pick colors I've had before. Here is why I'm not going with red:

The SRT-4 was mine. Its the car I sold to do all the work on the Comanche. I rebuilt it after it was totaled and painted it Inferno Red. The Challenger is my brother's. I just bought a Miata back in February. It's red too.

I think gunmetal would look great, but there are already a couple on this site. Patriot blue is nice, but I don't want to go that dark. Most days its going to be Rescue Green, but my mind is easily swayed.

Ok, I got a little bored and played around in Photoshop. A solid color would be a lot easier and cheaper, but I thought I'd give creativity a try.

Rescue Green with Black accent and gunmetal wheels:

Blue with Silver Two-Tone:

Silver with Black Two-Tone:

Black with Red Two-Tone and gunmetal wheels (I know I said no black or red, but this is just for fun):

And a crazy White with Red accents:

I really like the first two. I'll keep playing and messing around until I get tired of trying to pick something.

I think painting the plastics looks like crap too. Maybe looks okay on a late model car, but not on a square bodied MJ. Ryan, why don't you just repaint it your original color? I think that would look super. With a chrome grille. :cheers:

The reason I don't want to paint the plastics is I want to hide the fact that the rear flares don't match the front. My rear flares aren't in the best of shape either, so if I did paint them it would just draw attention to all the imperfections. I like the contrast of the black anyway.

As far as painting it the original color, every time I buy a black vehicle, I tell myself I'm never going to buy another black vehicle. If I'm going to spend a couple grand on a nice paint job, I want it to look dramatically different than it did before. Black with a chrome grill looks great (somebody else on these boards has one with bushwackers), but I'm partial to color.

I have two grills and two sets of headlight buckets. One will be painted body color and the other will stay black. That way I can swap them out as I feel like it.

I have a NOS chrome Laredo rear bumper sitting in my den right now in the box. I'd rather have a black one since I don't have any other chrome pieces, but maybe a chrome grill up front would balance it out...?

Deciding on a paint color for my SRT-4 was one of the hardest things I had to do on that car; this isn't much easier.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm not talking about painting the plastics, you would want smooth end caps and flares for that, rather I am talking about repainting the flares, end caps, and bumpers satin black(like they were OEM). I like the contrast of the black bumpers and end caps with a bright color.

But thats me.(did I mention I was partial to yellow and red?)

I have a NOS chrome Laredo rear bumper sitting in my den right now in the box. I'd rather have a black one since I don't have any other chrome pieces, but maybe a chrome grill up front would balance it out...?

If you have chrome up front and none in the back or vice-versa; looks bad. BUT since you have a NOS chrome rear bumper, the 97 front cries out for a chrome grille. That would look great in any color, especially black. Marvelous, simply marvelous. :cheers:

Didn't the Laredo MJ chrome bumpers have silver end caps?

Image Not Found

BTW, who's truck is this? I love it. MJOTM!