H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its been a bit since ive been back to check your thread had to read couple pages.Great choice on wheels those are one of the sets I was looking at when my buddy became a dealer for them.Exo cage will be great on that truck protect the pretty girl and make her even more beautiful. Will you call me so I can tell you how to do it Id hate for you to ruin the looks. :D

Great Job man have fun in Moab!

By the way I see you sold the new GY and replacing with coopers?What was the reason for that maybe you already said but I missed it if you did?

Wheels are 17's so GY would not fit. Coopers are a great tire on both road and wheeling, I have always liked them. Bought a used set for Moab, but it will get a fresh set after Moab (probably 37's since I'll finally get a 44 in the front after Moab)

I'll call ya about the cage image_209027.gif . I hate exo's.....so if there is any it will only be over the cab and will disapear into the front fenders, kinda like the main hoop in rear does.

you running the A pillars through the front fenders and down to the rock rails? If so, tie it into the door hinges and the cowl as much as possible. Thats what I did on my XJ and I skipped the piece of tube running across the bottom of the windshield. It looks alot cleaner to me that way and being tied into the cowl, door hinges, and rockrails, it won't go anywhere.

IDK if you are doing a roof halo or how much interior cage you're doing but here's some pics of mine... I'm sure you have your own ideas that will look good...

I know the 97+ hinges are alittle different

I think each one of those A pillars had 4 bends in it, but sitting inside the jeep, you can't even see them.

obviously, mine doesnt have a bed so you're on your own there!

Keep it nice and tight and tie into the body anywhere possible. :thumbsup:

Exxon: Thanks for the pictures. You pretty much did what I'm planning for the cab area (no interior cage). Have been looking at how I want to do it for awhile because like you I don't want to try and fit around wipers and such....and it just starts looking to bulky. I like yours, and mine was planned very similair just a plate on sides and going up towards inner fender as well. I won't get any of that done till after Moab though. I ran out of time for jeep and have to be here at work till thursday when we leave so my buddy Wes is getting the bed area finished up for me while I'm working today and tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the pictures. I always like input.

BTW..I'm running all inch and a half, yours is inch and three quarters...right?

:group beer: . I hate exo's.....so if there is any it will only be over the cab and will disapear into the front fenders, kinda like the main hoop in rear does.

gotcha. :cheers: rear hoop is nice

Thanks.....I always hope when you see the work I'm doing you like it. This was your baby first, I don't want to corrupt it, just continue to raise it into the adult wheeler it should be.

Cheers, Jason

OH...and thanks for a great starting point. Your time to detail on interior, engine bay and especially wiring (I hate doing wiring) Its so nice to add to rather than fix a rig. :cheers:

yeah, its all 1 3/4. My cousin and I split the cost on the bender and die so we had to agree on a common size. I did tube bumpers and stuff too and personal preference just wanted 1.75 tube.

I'm going to cage my MJ probably next year, I just couldnt believe how much it stiffened up the unibody on the XJ and I feel so much better wheeling it. Without some sort of hybrid cage, basically any actual roll (not flop) would destroy our rigs and all the work starts over swapping stuff to a new jeep. Now I feel like it has a fighting chance of surviving my bad driving!!!!

Well were in Moab. We left thursday at about 6:30pm and drove straight though. We arrived to our condo at 3:30 friday. Pretty much unloaded, went to dinner at Bucks Steak House. If your in Moab and there open you gotta eat the buffalo burger with duck bacon on it...amazing.

Today were pretty much just getting everything ready to go and buttoned up. We will do a mellow run this afternoon up the Moab rim trail.

The MJ is looking good, I got the cage done and everything buttoned up before we left. Got my spare strapped down to and my spare driveline (thanks Cody) and my axleshafts secured to the cage.

I forgot to get my cage pics downloaded so I'll do that later, but for now here is pictures of the drive to Moab and a shot of the condo. Were right by the new aquatic center here in Moab. Nice location.

Cheers, I'll try my best to keep the updates coming each day with pictures from our trail runs!

Did Moab rim today and it went well. Here is a couple pictures. Was girlfriends first time on real rocks. She loves it, just wants to drive...lol.

We plan to hit Pritchet Canyon and run it both directions. Will be a long day tomorrow. I'll try to be better about getting pictures.

The MJ did great. Only issue I had was the tires caught the straps I use to hold sway bar up and ripped one loose. Duct taped it and removed the whole swaybar when I got back to condo. I had kinda kicked around getting the Currie xj anti-rock. I've decided its a must...I tried to order one today but could not get ahold of the place I want to get it from...so I'll be ordering one monday morning out of Utah so I should have it by tuesday or wed.

I love Moab. Rocker Knocker is fun isnt it?!! We ran half the Rubicon today.

Ya, Rocker Knocker is fun. I almost made it straight up it, but its early in the trip and I was getting a foot plus of air trying to do it. Gotta baby the 30 a little. They bend easy...lol. I think I'm most looking forward Upper Hellderado. Love that trail!!

I'm trying 350grams of air soft bb's per wheel for balancing.

How did you figure out how much to use per wheel?

Thanks,

Willy

Dyna beads says about 8 ounces. So I went heavy to be safe and did 350 grams. Figured heavy over light. Dynas sight shows what you need, I just knew I figured over was better than lighter.I got $23 into my airsofts, my buddy has $90 into his dyna beads.

Did Metal Masher today. Was stoked when the jeep walked Widow Maker.

Here are some pictures from yesterday and today.

Oh...and my beautiful girlfriend Kate got to drive a little yesterday at Hells Revenge.