H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....blew up the 4:1 Tera low case yesterday. Got my stock case in the truck now. Glad I brought it with. Heading out for another trail today so might tear into Tera tonight and see what happen to it. Kinda screwed till tuesday since Tera is closed for holiday.

Couple pictures...

We ran Green Day yesterday and a little bit of Upper Hellderado. Starting to hit the hard trails now, so its getting fun. Group as whole had to broken axles and one broken track bar bracket for the day.

Ran green day and part of upper hellderado backwards today. I got very light driver door damage and broke 2 axles today. Flipping great day. I don't think I would have broke the shafts with 4:1. With stock case tourque converter is loading up so flipping bad. Calling Tera tomorrow to see if I can get parts before trips over.

I'd like to know which line, with pictures, you took to get in to Upper Helldorado. :thumbsup:

Willy

Willy, I'm guessing what your asking is my line through each of the difficult spots in the trail?? I assume you don't mean the way to the trail head. If you do we head towards BFE but before getting there hit the riverbed by going under the little bridge. We wanted to see Britney Spears so we took the long way.. Holy $#!&...Brittney Spears is about a 100 Yard loop that is just nasty. I can't imagine anything but a buggy in there or a REALLY beat to crap rig.

Here is the lines I took through the major obstacles since I think that is what you meant.

PS....EXXON, yes I tried to drive the fall but did have my winch line attached with min. slack. Just isn't safe not to on that with our size rigs.

First obstacle, drop straight in off top and then straddle the v crack all the way out. Points were you softly go driver or passenger are the key to this, cause if you fall in its a b*@$£ to get out and especially un scathed. On the way out you basically run your driver slider along rock on right and just miss the ledge on left with your pass. front corner

Second obstacle ( we all hit the wall a little ) You run in and cut hard left sidehilling the wall and keep it as tight as possible. The problem is the wall you climp out pushes you towards wall so basically if you have any tail hang its going to hit. If you want you can always get a truck up above and winch your rig off the wall, but we wanted to see if we could use body weight this year instead. With winch 3 out 5 got damage last year. 5 out of 5 this year not using winch for help.

Ill go back to download a few more pictures and post the rest of the major obstacles and how I got through them.

Cheers, Jason.

I have so many photo's on computer its running crazy slow. Once I get home I will get the pictures all organized and get some of the good ones up on here along with finishing Willy's obstacles on Upper Hellderado.

Cheers, Jason.

Ive been trying to get to Moab for nearly 10 years now. Everytime I start planning the trip something comes up lol. My wife actually asked me the other day if we want to start planning a trip out there for when the MJ is done. Awesome pics man and I'm looking forward to some more

RockMJ

Thanks rockmj. Ill get more pictures up.

Ill tell ya right now.....make those plans happen, bring spare $ because your bound to break and come for at least 10 days, anything less and you will just be mad you could not hit the trails you really want to. I've never came less.than 12 days.

I'd like to know which line, with pictures, you took to get in to Upper Helldorado. :thumbsup:

Willy

Willy, I'm guessing what your asking is my line through each of the difficult spots in the trail?? I assume you don't mean the way to the trail head. If you do we head towards BFE but before getting there hit the riverbed by going under the little bridge. We wanted to see Britney Spears so we took the long way.. Holy $#!&...Brittney Spears is about a 100 Yard loop that is just nasty. I can't imagine anything but a buggy in there or a REALLY beat to crap rig.

I was last there in 2004, so my memories aren't the clearest. I only saw the entrance to Upper Helldorado as we were doing Strike Ravine. I remember that we were following a dry creek bed, passed by where Lower Helldorado used to be on the left, then came to the Upper Helldorado entrance. As Strike Ravine took a left Upper Helldorado continued in the creek bed. There was a huge triangular shaped boulder in the middle of the creek. You could go either left or right. Neither looked at all friendly to a full bodied rig. The middle boulder tipped you into the rocks on either line.

Willy

Willy. Yup thats right. I dropped straight down were black jeep in your picture is sitting. I then basically ran the rocks like a V crack. The key is keeping your tire up on the right side rock on the way out so you don't drop in. Some people don't trust staying up on that rock and there rear end falls in the crack and then they get all kinds of messed up in there. 3 out of the 5 of us didn't trust the line and got damage in there due to falling in. The white jeep and I stayed right and walked it clean with no problems.

looks like you got the anti-rock on the front? you like it?

Got any more pics from Rusty Nail?

Ya, I got the xj currie anti-rock. It was an easy instal and made a great difference. The setup was just to soft and wishy washy side to side with the stock bar disconnected. Its great offroad and on. I'm digging it.

Here are a couple more pics from Rusty Nail (no left turn)

Heading to Portland area tomorrow to pick up my D44 for the front of MJ.

I ended up selling the one I had right before Moab because I found this one already set up with ARB and 4.88 gears and brackets to bolt right in along with Chromo's and the 5 on 4.5 pattern. So just to easy a swap into MJ over other axle. Only downfall.....Low pinion. Oh the sacrafices we make to simplify our lives.

Hope to have it in by Monday night.

So....blew up the 4:1 Tera low case yesterday. Got my stock case in the truck now. Glad I brought it with. Heading out for another trail today so might tear into Tera tonight and see what happen to it. Kinda screwed till tuesday since Tera is closed for holiday.

Have you had a chance to open it up and see what happened?

Willy

Willy

Ya, it was the planetary. Ordered new and will put it back together.

Willy

Are you going to continue to run the Tera low case, or sell it? :hmm:

I hope you took pictures. Documentation of carnage is always welcome. :popcorn:

Willy

Willy

Willy

I have yet to decide what I'm gonna do. I will fix and either sale and buy Atlas, or put back in, or add a 231 double kit to it, or .....

I'll take a picture, not much to see, just a couple of the welds broke on planetary case that holds on gears. Doesn't look bad.

Willy

Willy

I have yet to decide what I'm gonna do. I will fix and either sale and buy Atlas, or put back in, or add a 231 double kit to it, or .....

I'll take a picture, not much to see, just a couple of the welds broke on planetary case that holds on gears. Doesn't look bad.

Sell it and go with an Atlas. You'll like it much better and it will be cheaper in the long run...unless you like replacing the planetaries every wheeling trip. :no:

Willy