H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good coat of wd40 on the underside/suspension prior to mud fun makes it alot easier on cleaning that part. ive been meaning to go to stratoline, looked like a good time

I use pam cooking spray, old show car trick. Problem is that it was just to much mud. I still got some cleaning left to do in the engine bay. After wheeling I simple green the axles and such, let sit for 15min then house down and re-grease all zirks.

a good coat of wd40 on the underside/suspension prior to mud fun makes it alot easier on cleaning that part. ive been meaning to go to stratoline, looked like a good time

I use pam cooking spray, old show car trick. Problem is that it was just to much mud. I still got some cleaning left to do in the engine bay. After wheeling I simple green the axles and such, let sit for 15min then house down and re-grease all zirks.

also....on stradaline...I would hold out for them to get more done. At $15 per rig and $ 5 per person ($20 by yourself total) there just isn't enough to do there yet.

awesome! I love cage work, its one of my favorite things I have done on my XJ. Bending and welding tube is by far one of the most enjoyable things I do with my spare time. :banana: I have some ideas floating around for them MJ when the time comes...

Throw the ideas at me, I'm open minded and have yet to decide exactly how I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'll be working on the MJ today after work. Was heading home last night to a all of a sudden popping of the motor. Looks like I got a leak at the header gasket or crack in the header.

...and yes somehow I will attribute this to the mud. Just one more reason to keep me from every doing the stupidity again. :rotf:

Well got it tore down. bad lifter, and cam. Also notice the timing cover had some clearance issues.

As of now, I'll reorder the same comp cam and lifters and hope it is failure due to improper break in or simply bad cam/ bad luck.

For 12k miles it seems to have a lot of carbon buildup on cylinders too.

Any comments??

can you spot the bad lifter? :thumbsup:

Its running comp cam 68-231-4 and 822-12 lifters. They were from Summit, and I reordered new ones from Summit.

I ordered the same cam and lifters for rebuild. I don't believe there the cause for the failure. It could possibly have been a small piece of debris that caused lifter to fail. I believe though that it was to switching to mobil 1 and lucas additive...It became the first time the truck was run without zinc in the oil. I didn't realize or know to see if the lucas additive had zinc. Flat tappet motors need zinc, especially when the compression has been bumped up. I am putting this repair on myself to lack of knowledge to the motors needs and running a low zinc content oil. They have taken zinc out of most oils because it is a cataytic converter killer. Race oils still contain zinc and you can also get zinc addatives for your oil to fix the issue of our old school design motors needs.

Also something to note. A buddy of mine built a 4.6 stroker and had the same failure, same lifter, and same cam lobe flattened. It was right when they were starting to take the zinc out of most oils.

I have spent a lot of time on Jeep Strokers the last few day. Great info site except not having a search engine. Although once you put a header in a post it will show you possible posts that might be similair before your able to type your post. So kinda a search engine that can be used by starting a post and then not actually posting anything.

No one on the forum seemed to think the carbon on cylinders was that big of a deal or to out of the ordinary for strokers.

Was the proper break in oil used? There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about the removal of zinc from current oils. After sorting through the SPOBI I've found most reliable sources concur that the lack of zinc isn't an issue after break in.

Willy

Was the proper break in oil used? There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about the removal of zinc from current oils. After sorting through the SPOBI I've found most reliable sources concur that the lack of zinc isn't an issue after break in.

Willy

Yes it did have proper break in oil. Have the reciepts for it. I do not know however if the cam/motor was broke in proper. But if it was, I doubt it would have made it 12k.

Well I continue to keep researching. At this point I'm still leaning towards zinc being the issue. I don't deny I could be wrong though. I think either way there will be zinc in the oil from this day forward just to be on the safe side. Cats are a lot easier to replace than cams.

Cats are a lot easier to replace than cams.

I don't think you need to worry about your catalytic converter. For over 30+ years almost all of them survived hundreds of thousands of miles each. :thumbsup:

Willy

Willy

Yes it did have proper break in oil. Have the reciepts for it. I do not know however if the cam/motor was broke in proper. But if it was, I doubt it would have made it 12k.

Well I continue to keep researching. At this point I'm still leaning towards zinc being the issue. I don't deny I could be wrong though. I think either way there will be zinc in the oil from this day forward just to be on the safe side. Cats are a lot easier to replace than cams.

WOW! The ole MJ looks great! I'm super impressed with the finishing touches you've put on it an even more excited to see you wheelin' it! I'm just getting back into the Jeep scence as I took a break over last 6 months. I stumbled across your build thread from my old build on JF.

I am sad to see the cam/lifter failure, BUT as you said I feel like it was due to improper oil useage as well. I can testify that motor was broken in correctly (this wasn't my first motor rebuild) using Comp Cams Break-In oil. I can't speak to what oil the second owner ran but I had been running the Comp Cams 10w30 Muscle and Street Rod oil which has higher levels of zinc. I know it's more of a hassle to run it because you can't just run down to the parts store to pick it up but I felt it was worth it for the added peace of mind. Just an FYI, you can order it by the case from Summit, part number 1594-12.

Again, you've done a AWESOME job with the truck and I look forward to seeing it back on the road. I don't get on CC much any more but feel free PM me and I'll give you my email address if you ever have questions.

Willy

WOW! The ole MJ looks great! I'm super impressed with the finishing touches you've put on it an even more excited to see you wheelin' it! I'm just getting back into the Jeep scence as I took a break over last 6 months. I stumbled across your build thread from my old build on JF.

I am sad to see the cam/lifter failure, BUT as you said I feel like it was due to improper oil useage as well. I can testify that motor was broken in correctly (this wasn't my first motor rebuild) using Comp Cams Break-In oil. I can't speak to what oil the second owner ran but I had been running the Comp Cams 10w30 Muscle and Street Rod oil which has higher levels of zinc. I know it's more of a hassle to run it because you can't just run down to the parts store to pick it up but I felt it was worth it for the added peace of mind. Just an FYI, you can order it by the case from Summit, part number 1594-12.

Again, you've done a AWESOME job with the truck and I look forward to seeing it back on the road. I don't get on CC much any more but feel free PM me and I'll give you my email address if you ever have questions.

Thanks for the kind words. It feels good to know the builder likes were I'm going with the truck. Its an amazing rig.

PM sent.

Cheers, Jason

Cats are a lot easier to replace than cams.

I don't think you need to worry about your catalytic converter. For over 30+ years almost all of them survived hundreds of thousands of miles each. :thumbsup:

Willy

Actually, looks like the cat was new with motor. If so it only made it 8k or so. It failed on me and is why I ended up doing the whole exhaust over to go with a slightly quiter muffler at the same time and route it a little different.

Thanks drcomanche!

Got all my parts compiled. Pulling the oil pan tonight and doing all engine clean up. Should be starting rebuild tomorrow morning!

Excited to get the MJ back up and running.

Amazing MJ man. I subscribed to the build on JF and its nice to see its carrying on. Sorry to hear about the engine trouble but those lifters are pretty :D. Looking forward to seeing where the build goes. Keep up the great work

RockMJ

Thanks RockMJ.

Got the motor up and running and broke cam in.

Once it idled down after break in I have a rough idle and rough respose right off idle. Once its to about 1500 it smooths out. The problem is once I actually drive the truck it shudders under any load. I can put along but if I try any amount of real acceleration it shudders and runs rough with no power (seems its running lean)

I think I have traced it down to the cam sensor and ... sensor not being exactly in sync.(injectors and spark not exactly in sync) I have tried a few things and sadly feel I might have to just bring it to the local Jeep dealer and see what they can do on a scope and with there special distributor. I made an appointment for friday but will continue to mess with it tonight and tomorrow probably.

Any ideas will be listened to.

Cheers, Jason

Thanks Partsmj.

So the update. ITS RUNNING! and better than when I bought it.

So, I finally brought it to jeep. They tuned the ECU, and replaced the plugs with basic Champions and replaced the Accel Coil with a Mopar one.

They were great (loved the jeep) and allowed me to be there each step of the way. Was interesting watching everything imporove on the programmer readouts with plugs and then improve even more when the coil was replaced as well.

I guess some things are better not being "upgraded".

It will be in the lakefair car show tonight.

Thanks for your guys links and help. All was appreciated!