H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

what type of trim is that around the fender wells have any idea?If you have a close up could you post it?don't go out of your way though not a must see thanks.

Its only on outside of fender. does not wrap around like door trim would. I would probably try JCWhitney first, they tend to have this sort of stuff.

Here is a couple pictures. Hope it helps.

what type of trim is that around the fender wells have any idea?If you have a close up could you post it?don't go out of your way though not a must see thanks.

I'd guess it's Protekto-Trim.

DSCF0056_4.JPG

Man that looks great!Ill search that thanks guys

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how good does that stuff work cuz i flex out a lot and slice the tread on my tire. trying to get some more life out of my tires

Try more trimming or better yet some proper bump stops. Trim like that is for appearance and to protect yourself from getting sliced, not your tires

well i don't wanna cut too much cuz then it will be obvious if i were to get pulled over easy ticket for him. however i also put a bigger lift on so slicing may not be a problem anymore i was just curious but i may do fiberglass fenders? iuno yet looking for like a temp fix.

Started work on modification of the rear bumper to better protect the bed. Did a little cardboard template to get idea of what I wanted.

Then moved on to starting to cut the steel (3/16 plate) Got to use the press break too..

Killed the blade on the band saw so called it quits for the night.

Well I'm still stuck waiting on a new blade for the bandsaw. Should be in tomorrow and bumper work will begin then.

For today...... The passenger seat would not go back all the way due to the speaker box that was in the truck. I know, I know...its the passenger so who cares....ha. Well I guess after a 2300 mile drive and some passenger seat time I decided it needed to have full range of motion with such small interior space. So modded the box and sunk the speaker in. Was happy to see the Kenwood woofer was a slim design and the mod would work well and still have good sound.

Because we all love pictures here are some for you guys. Forgot "before" pictures, but sure you can imagine.. the speaker sticking out further.

Seat now goes all the way back on slides and full tilt to window. :)

I can't wait to see your progress on the bumper. It was one of the things that always bugged me before on this truck. It looks like you have a great design laid out.

Thanks, and ya I agree. The first thing that astetically(sp) bugged me was the bumper. It just doesnt flow with truck at all and the 10g steel sides will not protect the bed well enough against rock ledge drops in places like Moab or the Rubicon (places I wheel yearly)

I can't wait to work on it (looks to be all day tomorrow I'll have bumper time!!!)

Well, got going on the bumper today. My friend Luke and I spent the day making it come together. Here is a little overview of the work we accomplished.

Started by setting the angles for sides and upper bumper.

Then added the connection to existing bumper.

Started filling more in from there.

Began checking and mock up for lower bumper section

lower bumper section.

Lower section in place and filler pieces starting to make it come together.

Our humble shop space.

Made some inner supports for bumper. Installed them.

More test fitting.

Buddy Donnie stopped by to see our progress and made the end caps while I did a lot of grinding to get the bumpers looking presentable.

Ready to be tacked in place!

My welder Luke.

Yours truly....very excited about the progress.

In place....

Now for some support for the sides of bumper..

Bumpers on. Hopefully get a coat of flat black on it tomorrow. Still trying to set a quick turnaround date for powdercoat with the powdercoat guy.

Well I thought I had a exhaust leak but finally started looking into the noise more today and realized the "ticking" I heard was coming from under the valve cover. Opened it to find the rockers are hitting the valve cover.

How could you fix the rockers hitting the valve cover? :???: Grind alittle where its hitting for clearance is all I could think of...

Looking for a taller cover, but my temp fix was breaking tack welds on side closer to contact and pushing shield up a little and re tacking it.

Bravo man that thing is just sick! :ack: don't stop keep goin but take some time and get some wheeln in.don't forget pics though.

Don't worry...it will get wheeled!! And I'll get some pictures. First trip will be Memorial day weekend. Wish it was sooner but got to finish my planned body protection. I learned my lesson on my Grand when I fixed $800 in rocker damage that I did the weekend before my rock sliders arrived.

Got pulled over a couple days ago for no mudflaps. I knew it was gonna happen. I work downtown by the Capital so there are state patrol all over. They always hit guys for flaps. The sheriffs and local oly cops never bother me with any rigs I've had. The WSP always pull me over.

So I bought these removable mudflap brackets. They were big enough to be used behind a dually so I took down the mounts, shortened the brackets on both ends and redrilled for pins. Then cut down some flaps that were fender shaped. This is what I came up with. There just to legal limit on length (center of axletube) Of course easy removal at the trailhead is a must with flaps.

Did they say anything about no fender flares?

Willy

The WSP that pulled me over was cool, I showed him receipt for mud flap brackets and he just warned me. He did comment on flare coverage but basically said that the key is rear tire coverage from behind. So....If you have rear flaps and get pulled over for not having flares the cop is being a fool. (edit...haha. d1ck says fool on here)

I have never ran flares on any rig I have owned. I have personally never been pulled over for not having flares, I also always have mudflaps on my wheelers. I ordered the brackets for flaps as soon as I got the truck home. I knew no flaps would never fly around here. I was pulled over within a week for no flaps. I doubt I'll get pulled over again now that they are on the rig.

here in southern California they pull you over for no flares and no flaps. calif law says tire can not stick out more than 2 inches past the fender coverage (and that's to the bulge not the tread) and from the ground up to lowest rear coverage can not exceed 12 inches. there prity much d--ks down here too.

Worked on the sliders today. Wanted to get a little more protection and distance from truck on them. This is what I came up with. Buddy Wes has a dimple die and plasma table. So hit him up for some help. We didn't get enough time to get to the tubing for rear bumper. Hopefully next week.

Here is some pics of the work and finished sliders.

Started by bending up some 1 1/2 dom tube.

Welded that up and connected bottom with 1 1/4 flat plate to bend

Then Wes drew this up on tourchmate (He has a plasma table too)

Did some dimple die work and tacked it in place.

Did all the finish welding to original sliders and plate.

Got them home and threw a temp coat of rustoleam on them to keep the rust away.