H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

thats in the recent plans for add ons on mine, the gas tank skid, just finished my rear corners. :yes:

how did you tie in the rear rocker slides, just all on the bumper and bolt on bumper or weld to the frame for reinforcement? A pic maybe if you could, trying to figure how to add a tube under my corner guards with out going up out or past them like you have. which i do in deed like, but bed coming off later so not trying to get to carried away with the tube now.

If you look back at pictures from when I added to the rear bumper you will see I added a side brace to the bumper coming off were the bumper bolts to frame(unibody) So the whole bumper still comes off in one peice. Look close its the last thing I did, there are a couple pics that show the brace and gusset. If you also look close you will see how it is connected to the main bumper brackets. Keep in mind my are extended and have about 4 to 5 bolts holding them. You might have to do the same so the angle is right to have the strength needed for hits to the bumper.

Hope this helps, if not, pm me and I'll give you my # and send some better pics and talk to you on phone about it.

Also, the tube is welded to the bumper directly so it is part of the whole rear bumper and comes off all one peice.

Cheers, Jason

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use a skid and keep it all stock capacity. and save the body work. :thumbsup:

I should also point out my leading factor on a cell is getting more fuel capacity. I only get 200miles to a tank currently and want/need more, or I will have to bring jerry cans for some adventures

200 miles?what size tank?stockers are 23gal in a longbed right?

Like mini beast said, my setup is about right for milage per tank. Mine is a shortbed and I have never checked to see what the capacity is (i just fill her up when she needs fuel) and if its the same as longbed.

Between low gearing, big motor, big injectors I can't expect more MPG. Its worth the power (tourque) this motor produces. I get about 12 around town and 14 on freeway if I keep it at 60mph

Really?I thought it was a longbed this whole time! :doh: Ya for a short bed i can see that 200 miles per tank is about right being its only like a 17gal makes much more sense.Besides the fact I thought you had said before you had gotten 12 to 14ish.

my short bed 1987 has a 19 gal tank and with the 37's 4.56 to 1 gears, a 5 speed, big injectors and the old school renox system, i get 16 mpg highway doing 75 mph. i averaged 280 miles between fill ups. i didnt want to use all the fuel and run out. i use to drive it to work and back (140 miles) every day and checked my milage every fill up (every other day) after i hit 270000 miles (it was lifted on the 37's for 150000 miles) i got a neon to drive and save some gas.

my short bed 1987 has a 19 gal tank and with the 37's 4.56 to 1 gears, a 5 speed, big injectors and the old school renox system, i get 16 mpg highway doing 75 mph. i averaged 280 miles between fill ups. i didnt want to use all the fuel and run out. i use to drive it to work and back (140 miles) every day and checked my milage every fill up (every other day) after i hit 270000 miles (it was lifted on the 37's for 150000 miles) i got a neon to drive and save some gas.

Ya my biggest problem is running 35's with 4.88's. The RPM's are just way to high. My other problem........can't keep a lite foot around town. lol. The motor is just to damn snappy with the build sheet on it and the 4.88's

I checked the milage going to seattle and back staying at about 58mph the whole way and got 15mpg!!!! I think I'll go to 4.56's when I swap the 30 out of the front.

Finally got to the gas tank skid today. I didn't take many pictures do to being busy working on it and my tight time frame to get it done in today. Here are some pictures I did take.

I started with a 39.5 x 15 inch piece of cold rolled 3/16 steel. Used the press break to bring 6 inches of each side to a 45. Then 5 inches out in the rear broke it again to 45 making the rear 90 total, so it would have a little angle for any reverse hits to it.

Built a couple brackets on frame side to bolt it to frame and cut down the factory straps and used them on the passenger side of tank. I got it as tucked as possible. It is nearly flush with the frame (good considering it has a xj pump going into the top of the tank)

Here are some pictures of the tank skid and it mounted.

BEFORE....(bashed it pretty good at Elbe)

BUILDING....

INSTALLED....

That skid is awesome. :thumbsup: I think I'll borrow some of your ideas. :yes:

Have you thought about adding a couple of drain holes?

Willy

In the picture along the frame side (showing mounts to frame) you can see its just spot welded. It will drain water, but not dirt. I figured I would see how that works, I don't want holes in bottom to collect the dirt in first place if I can help it.

Figure if they all get plugged up I'll pull it and figure out a better (bigger) drain system.

This area....

Also....if anyone is wondering why the frame side has the 45 in it for a inch or so, unlike the passenger side. Its because it will catch on the bolt for the leaf spring before you can drop it low enough. It gives just enough room to drop it down and then over to passenger side a little to drop all the way out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, getting ready for 5 days at Browns camp this weekend. Got a fire extinguisher, mag light mounts and cb installed. I also did a little touch up on the sliders and bumper to get it all prettied up and ready for the trip.

you leaking some oil there? :hmm:

Haha, No! Glad to say there are no leaks coming from the Manche. That is a area in front of house that alot of cars park, including any car that friends bring over for my roomate to work on...Most of them are leakers...lol.

Heading off to Browns camp,should be a great weekend of wheeling in rain!

Should have half a day of some good weather. Have fun and don't get dirty. :shake:

let me know how the gas tank skid holds up as well. :thumbsup:

Heading off to Browns camp,should be a great weekend of wheeling in rain!

Should have half a day of some good weather. Have fun and don't get dirty. :shake:

let me know how the gas tank skid holds up as well. :thumbsup:

Just got home. Got Dirty, and wet for sure.

Gas tank skid held up amazing. Did waterfall, upper and lower crushers, well we did pretty much everything. Was nasty up there and got worse each day.

Broke a short side inner shaft on front axle on the lower crushers. Got the manche out and put a spare in, fun recovery but went smooth. Shaft broke clean and straight so there was no binding to make getting rig out anymore difficult. I also broke a rear shock off. Clean break on the shaft, not bent at all. I guess its time for a traction bar.

Didn't take many pictrues but will post what I have later today. Gotta do some cleanup of the Manche first.

ALSO...Manche got its first body damage. Small dent on passenger side of bed, right above wheel well. Did it coming out of the upper crushers on the almost impossible to miss tree. :(