H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

I have spent a lot of time on Jeep Strokers the last few day. Great info site except not having a search engine. Although once you put a header in a post it will show you possible posts that might be similair before your able to type your post. So kinda a search engine that can be used by starting a post and then not actually posting anything.

Isn't there a way to use Google and limit it to a specific site? Like :site: in the search somewhere? I am computer functionally illiterate but I thought there was a way...

EDIT: Found it!

Type site:website (space) search term

So here it would be

site:comancheclub.com tj flare

to search Google for a TJ flare posting here.

Might help someone...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably don't care since I'm about a month late, but the amount of carbon buildup in your engine is not normal, even if a handful of folks on the JeepStroker forums say otherwise. It wasn't the cause of your bad lifter/cam, but could very well be the cause of your failed catalytic converter. The excessive carbon buildup (especially after only 12K miles) suggests you were initially running a very rich mixture. Once the carbon forms in your combustion chamber, it has a tendency to extinguish the flame front that would normally occur when the spark ignites the fuel/air mixture coming into the engine. This results in incomplete combustion, poor engine efficiency and excess air leaving your combustion chambers. Your O2 sensor is pretty dumb in the sense that it will see that excess oxygen and will tell the PCM to compensate by adding more fuel (you can see this is turning into a vicious cycle). Catalytic converters don't do so well when you throw excess fuel at them and may be the reason why yours failed at only 8k miles.

What I've noticed with a lot of Jeep people who do stroker builds is that they put together an engine that flows more air than a stock 4.0L, therefore needing more fuel than a stock 4.0L, but they expect the PCM (designed for the air/fuel flows of a stock 4.0L) to compensate and everything will be fine. The engine may run and it may sound okay, but you really have no idea what's going on inside. I always recommend that if you're going to change the air/fuel flow characteristics of an engine (by stroking it, in this case), you need to have a wideband O2 sensor before the catalytic converter at the very least. It will go a long way in determining if you're running too rich or too lean.

Now, when the guys at Jeep were tuning your ECU - how were they doing it? What did they do? I would guess that they pulled some fuel somewhere in the fuel map. What size injectors are you running? If you're anything over stock, you're mostly likely going to be running rich when you're idling.

You probably don't care since I'm about a month late, but the amount of carbon buildup in your engine is not normal, even if a handful of folks on the JeepStroker forums say otherwise. It wasn't the cause of your bad lifter/cam, but could very well be the cause of your failed catalytic converter. The excessive carbon buildup (especially after only 12K miles) suggests you were initially running a very rich mixture. Once the carbon forms in your combustion chamber, it has a tendency to extinguish the flame front that would normally occur when the spark ignites the fuel/air mixture coming into the engine. This results in incomplete combustion, poor engine efficiency and excess air leaving your combustion chambers. Your O2 sensor is pretty dumb in the sense that it will see that excess oxygen and will tell the PCM to compensate by adding more fuel (you can see this is turning into a vicious cycle). Catalytic converters don't do so well when you throw excess fuel at them and may be the reason why yours failed at only 8k miles.

What I've noticed with a lot of Jeep people who do stroker builds is that they put together an engine that flows more air than a stock 4.0L, therefore needing more fuel than a stock 4.0L, but they expect the PCM (designed for the air/fuel flows of a stock 4.0L) to compensate and everything will be fine. The engine may run and it may sound okay, but you really have no idea what's going on inside. I always recommend that if you're going to change the air/fuel flow characteristics of an engine (by stroking it, in this case), you need to have a wideband O2 sensor before the catalytic converter at the very least. It will go a long way in determining if you're running too rich or too lean.

Now, when the guys at Jeep were tuning your ECU - how were they doing it? What did they do? I would guess that they pulled some fuel somewhere in the fuel map. What size injectors are you running? If you're anything over stock, you're mostly likely going to be running rich when you're idling.

I do care :cheers:

I'm not really sure what they were doing but I do know that it is now running 4% lean(when I brought it to them it was at 18%). I knew it was running rich when I purchased it, but never had it checked and don't know why it started running lean once I rebuilt it :doh: . I didn't really look into how to go about fixing the problem beyond pricing the possiblility of a stand alone ECU and having it tuned on a dyno. It seems to be running better now than when I bought it, I'm not sure however if the milage is any better due to less fuel being dumped into it or what to compare it to from before it failed. (24lb blue ford injectors)

I'm always up for comments or suggestions. If you have any comments or ideas on what else I could do to know what my motor is doing.....I'm listening. I will say even though everyone said it was fine I as well felt for 12k the cylinders looked bad.

I'd have to look at what size the stock injectors are and how they compare to the 24lb/hr Ford injectors you have, but if they're larger, they'll flow more fuel obviously. I see that you have a larger TB to allow more airflow, but it's usually not that simple - not with fuel injected cars anyway. The old school carb'ed guys could get away with modifications like that since they'd just turn an adjustment knob here, tweak something there...and they'd still run pig rich :D

I'd take a look at your fuel mileage and see how you're doing there. There should be a noticeable increase. Although, without really knowing what the O2 readings are, I can't really make any suggestions. Not that my suggestions would really be helpful anyway - since you can't tune and reprogram your ECU.

I'm going to assume the Jeep guys knew what they were doing, although I must admit, that's the first time I've ever heard of a dealership being able (both technically and legally) to do a custom tune on a vehicle.

I'd have to look at what size the stock injectors are and how they compare to the 24lb/hr Ford injectors you have, but if they're larger, they'll flow more fuel obviously. I see that you have a larger TB to allow more airflow, but it's usually not that simple - not with fuel injected cars anyway. The old school carb'ed guys could get away with modifications like that since they'd just turn an adjustment knob here, tweak something there...and they'd still run pig rich :D

I'd take a look at your fuel mileage and see how you're doing there. There should be a noticeable increase. Although, without really knowing what the O2 readings are, I can't really make any suggestions. Not that my suggestions would really be helpful anyway - since you can't tune and reprogram your ECU.

I'm going to assume the Jeep guys knew what they were doing, although I must admit, that's the first time I've ever heard of a dealership being able (both technically and legally) to do a custom tune on a vehicle.

I'll try and stop by the dealership on Monday and talk with the guy. They set me up with there "best guy" they have, or so I was told. He did seem to know what he was doing and there is no question that it runs better now than when i brought it in.

I'll try and stop by the dealership on Monday and talk with the guy. They set me up with there "best guy" they have, or so I was told. He did seem to know what he was doing and there is no question that it runs better now than when i brought it in.

I'd be most interested in the device they used to tune the vehicle. I'm going to assume it was the DRBII scantool, but I've never known that to be able to edit fuel/timing maps on the stock ECU - but I could be wrong. I know that Chrysler issues firmware updates to the PCM every so often and you can do to the dealership to have your PCM "reflashed" but that's a canned tune from Chrysler and I'm not sure that the dealerships have the capability to edit that. I could be wrong though and it'd be very nice to know that there are Jeep dealerships out there that can do this kind of work.

Well decided it was time to put fresh u-joints in the 30 along with the aluminum outer seals and fresh fluid.

This is what I found when I dropped the diff cover...

Will order some fresh 4.88's monday and get them going. Hate putting $ into the 30, with my 44 sitting on the garage floor. Looks like I'll be running the 30 for Moab so gotta get it fresh for the trip. I have to many plans for the 44 swap to have it done by Moab.

Did get my AEV rear 44 Diff/Driveline gaurd installed and got both the covers painted black and fresh Lucas installed in the rear diff. Some good came of the day. 44 Looks much better without silver diff covers. I like the clean simple look.

I really like the slider and have wanted one for ever! I just can't get over their cost.

Doesn't look like that D30 was geared by an expert.

I feel ya....I picked this one up used for $100!!!! I liked that price.

Ya, they will get set up this time by someone that I know can do them right. I'm guessing that it broke from the shock load when I broke the short side shaft. Glad it was showing when I opened the diff or might not have known. Took me awhile to find the peice that broke off. It was one chunk completely in tact. I wheeled on the ring gear twice!! Guess I never hit the week point under initial power. LUCKY

That looks way too familiar. :(

Willy

Considering its high pinion and I was reversing (front end buried on lower crushers) uphill I'm not really suprised. Broke shaft and I'm sure the torque load on coast side of gear upon breaking of shaft was not very nice on the ring gear that was on half tooth of pinion.

30's and my foot don't get along well....lol.

I really like the slider and have wanted one for ever! I just can't get over their cost.

x2

Ya, got lucky. My buddy is throwing Rock Jok 60's under his Rubicon for Moab. I was able to pick the slider up from him for $100. Couldn't pass that up. It only took a hint of modification to make it fit.

J

Did you ever get down to the dealership that did the tuning on your rig? Still curious as to what they used to tune the thing.

The mechanic that worked on my truck had the day off when I stopped by. I'll have to try running by there again next week.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks till I leave for MOAB......hell ya!

Picking up a 231 with Terra 4:1 and SYE tomorrow, and ordering a 2low kit for it. STOKED!

Even better,....MY girlfriend is able to go for first 9 days of trip and then will fly home. So excited she will get to experience Moab. Hot truck, Hot girl, Hot weather, Can't wait!!!

Did you ever get down to the dealership that did the tuning on your rig? Still curious as to what they used to tune the thing.

I was wrong, he was just using a reader, he was not tuning through the device. I finally caught him thursday and we talked a little. So he was just using the tuner and then making it run better by changing plugs, coil, and basically just kept checking to see what was and was not helping it to run better.

J.

Got a Tera Low 231 thursday, called up tera and have a 2low kit on the way. Hope to have time for install on next thursday. Stoked for the lower gearing and 2low in Moab. Less than 2 weeks till we leave!

Maybe you will remeber this truck from a couple months ago. I had looked at it but at the time decided I didn't need it. I was picking up the Bushwacker flares I won at don't fear the Jeeper and started talking with Jeff that works there. He has a beautiful red restored MJ. (I'll get pics up soon of it) and still needs a tailgate and wants a 44 for it. So I told him about this truck I passed up a couple months ago. Luckly I still had the guys text messages in my phone...cause I threw him a text and he still had it. Said he would take $800 now for it. Well I hum hawed and started texting him about trans....well long story short. He needed it gone cause he was getting harrased by home owners assoc. for it being parked on the street.......end result for me.......$600 for a 87 Jeep Comanche Pioneer Metric Ton. 4X4, 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 44 rear, and 260,000 on the odometer. No rust, solid floorboards.....WOW. So of course Jeff is stoked. He now has a tailgate and 44 for his MJ. and will throw the 35 out of restored MJ in this one and use it around the property and dump runs. SWEET! Anyway....the good stuff (pictures)