H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

You think the broken shock was caused by axle wrap? I don't see how the axle could wrap enough to cause so much binding that the shock would break like that. :hmm:

Willy

I'm blaming it on axle wrap and shock location., however I could be wrong. Thing is there is no damage like rock rash or anything, its not bent at all, and the bumps are perfect length (look close and you can see by mud that they don't bottom out). ...and truck has pretty bad axle wrap to top off my reasoning.

If anyone has ideas throw them at me cause I don't want the next ones doing the same. Ill be upgrading so don't want to blow the $ and. Break another shock.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off, I am glad you are using the truck.

second, i would have to agree in saying i don't think there could be enough wrap to cause a shaft to break like that. i have the same shocks with the same mounts. although i have wheel hop and wrap, my shocks have held up. i would think your wrap would have to be REALLY bad for it to cause that.

The more I look and such....I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad shock (shaft) I'm gonna replace with same shock and see what happens. Probably start fabing up a traction bar ( I get both wrap and hop) after looking more there is no way shock could hit anything under axle wrap. Who knows..

are your rear bump stop set up properly?

do you run any limit straps? to prevent the rear suspension from tugging on your shocks.

As I said above, the rear bumps are perfect length. I do not have limiting straps but have cycled the suspension and the rear won't drop, flexed or jumped enough to hit end length of shocks (stock springs sprung over, only 4 inch uptravel on shocks) Also, notice shaft broke 1/3 up from bushing.....very interesting spot. I will however say that both bushings are mounted same direction (I personally consider this a no no) so that could bind the shock in flexed position and caused the damage to shaft.

Well, really don't want to be having a repeat of last weekend on the crushers.......so I bought this today...

Narrowed High Pinion Dana44 (60 wms) ARB locker, Warn Chromo shafts, Warn premium hubs, Warn Diff gaurd, Flat top knuckles...etc etc.

I'll be pulling the ARB out and having it refreshed along with trading out the 4.10's for 4.88's to match my rear 44, Then I'll start the work on brackets, fresh brakes, etc.. Maybe even do the air bumps while I'm at it. This is gonna be fun and a great upgrade.

(upside down in picture)

Am I the only one in the PNW who hasn't had a HP 44 fall in my lap? :fs2:

Nice find. If you happen to come across another I've got a good home for it. :thumbsup:

Willy

Ya I scored....$1500. I gotta thank buddy Wes, he saw it on Pirate and noticed it was in Portland and called me with the number. If it were not for the gear ratio I could drop it right in. Good deal though considering the parts list, narrowed and clean and ready for brackets.

In response to set89......I'll be building the brackets. I'm lucky to have a buddy with a plasma table and program for the brackets I'll need. I will modify though to get the link mounts up a little and change track bar mount location to line up perfect with drag link (high steer will allow a straight track bar! :)) I will also make changes for proper length bump stops while I'm under there.

:ack:

x2 on the D44 upgrade :yes:

broken shaft, very stumped by that myself. perhaps just was a bat situation and it just was kinda a freak thing, i put a another plain jane shock on it and run it and see how it holds up and keep a eye on it and see how it works then go from there and upgrade the shock.

and here's that pic as well tires turned to right a bit but can get a good idea...

Well, really don't want to be having a repeat of last weekend on the crushers.......so I bought this today...

Narrowed High Pinion Dana44 (60 wms) ARB locker, Warn Chromo shafts, Warn premium hubs, Warn Diff gaurd, Flat top knuckles...etc etc.

I'll be pulling the ARB out and having it refreshed along with trading out the 4.10's for 4.88's to match my rear 44, Then I'll start the work on brackets, fresh brakes, etc.. Maybe even do the air bumps while I'm at it. This is gonna be fun and a great upgrade.

(upside down in picture)

well done! jamminz.gif I think this was one of my first posts in your thread upgrade the front axle.If it wasnt I was gunna post it. :D

:ack:

x2 on the D44 upgrade :yes:

broken shaft, very stumped by that myself. perhaps just was a bat situation and it just was kinda a freak thing, i put a another plain jane shock on it and run it and see how it holds up and keep a eye on it and see how it works then go from there and upgrade the shock.

and here's that pic as well tires turned to right a bit but can get a good idea...

Thanks for the pictures.

Well after 2 1/2 hours of cleaning I remember why I have not hit a mud bog in over 7 years. I spent an hour on the engine compartment alone and still have more to do there. Got all the main mud off whole rig and cleaned my winch line. I figure I still have about 5 hours of cleaning to go, then re do the diffs and all lube points. Mud just isn't worth it. The gal riding with me thought it was though, but probably because she isn't cleaning it....lol.

Here are some pictures, we went to stradaline orv today. We had heard that promoto promotions had taken it over. They are adding a few area's specific to 4x4's. There isn't to much yet but it should continue to get better as they keep cutting more new trails. I didn't get pictures of the rocks or trails, but did get a couple from when we were playing in mud and on parts of the tough truck course.

Cleaning.....

But.....had to save the best picture of the day for last.....

Well mud is showing the toll its taking on my MJ. I work on Monday nights at a local tavern bartending and upon leaving my volt gauge dropped to nothing. Got up at a rough 7am (worked at Skep and Skien till after midnight) to try and clean up the alt better and see if I could coax it back to life....but to no avail. I had a buddy pick me up a new alternator today since I'll be here at my regular job till after 7 tonight. Should be putting it in by around 8:30 tonight and hope to have it up and going again in the am.

The good, the battery and such gets taken out for ease of alt instal. This will allow some good time to clean up the engine compartment some more tonight and let it dry out for a early morning install of new alt. Ugh, late night and another early morning since I work 10 to 7-8 every night this week.

Got mud? Keep it, I'm no longer interested in it.

Cheers, Jason

On a side note, I've been eyeballing a Metric Ton comanche running around my side of town. Finally saw it parked yesterday and left a note, the guy responded today with....its worth $900 to me, if its worth that to you we can work something out. I'll be looking at it friday. What I know now.....It has a d44 rear, 4.0, Puegot 5sp thats tired. Motor has 265k (or at least the chassis does) and its 4x4 and a long bed. I'll post a couple pics I took shortly. It looks straight and clean

Mud sux! I hated to see your truck like that but the dents were ok. :D Keep plugging away man your not alone with the long work days its the way I feed my addiction.

Thats so funny you say that. I was talking to the gal that rode with me and telling her I would have prefered the passenger door damage than the mud, that it would have been easier than what the cleanup on the mj will be for me due to being so anal. (two guys mashed there passenger doors on the rock section)

Mj is getting a steering fluid flush tonight, new serpentine belt, and hopefully the tranny, t-case and axles on thurs or friday.

Guess the mud has been good for the MJ in the end. She will be looking good, and well lubed when I'm finished. The 10 min. of mud has will end up being 12+ total hours into cleaning and lube, etc.

Looking at the Metric Ton on friday around 2!!