metric ton springs on dana 35?

The MT springs are rated for higher capacity, they are a beefier heavy duty unit rather than just a stock spring with different arch.

If upgrading from a 2wd stock spring, you will end up with "lift" from doing this swap. IIRC, there's a 1-2" difference between the normal 2wd springs and 4wd springs, but additionally the higher load rating of the MT springs will compress less under the weight of the frame and bed, resulting in some additional height (which won't ever settle, until the springs wear out and sag). Going from 2wd springs to MT springs might net you with 3" lift after all is said and done.

The Hell's Creek MT springs are a great kit, but honestly, if you're trying to get by on low cost I think there are better options out there. The MT springs aren't cheap, and if you want to do anything serious cargo hauling you'll need quality ubolts, shocks, possibly shackles if yours are rusted... which will easily add another $150-250 to the price. And that's not even considering the D35 or it's smaller brakes.

The MT springs are rated for higher capacity, they are a beefier heavy duty unit rather than just a stock spring with different arch.

If upgrading from a 2wd stock spring, you will end up with "lift" from doing this swap. IIRC, there's a 1-2" difference between the normal 2wd springs and 4wd springs, but additionally the higher load rating of the MT springs will compress less under the weight of the frame and bed, resulting in some additional height (which won't ever settle, until the springs wear out and sag). Going from 2wd springs to MT springs might net you with 3" lift after all is said and done.

The Hell's Creek MT springs are a great kit, but honestly, if you're trying to get by on low cost I think there are better options out there. The MT springs aren't cheap, and if you want to do anything serious cargo hauling you'll need quality ubolts, shocks, possibly shackles if yours are rusted... which will easily add another $150-250 to the price. And that's not even considering the D35 or it's smaller brakes.

Do you have any recommendations for a better option? I don't think there is any other way around it, the 3rd leaf down on the passenger's side is completely broken in half.

• 3 years later...

:offtopic: but is it just me, or is there something weird going on with that brake valve?

very common. when one of our MJ's go on a mechanics lift or the suspension is fully flexed in droop, everything on it get's out of place.

and back on topic...the d35 will die sooner because it will be the failing point when adding that amount of weight that the springs can take.

Is this a Metric Ton spring? Looks a little too wimpy to me. This is an '86 Long Bed, had the 2.8, auto, and still has the D44.

Image Not Found

Something isn't right. The Dana 44 wasn't offered in 1986. The '86 heavy-duty axle was the AMC Model 20.

My old eyes are having trouble seeing your spring clearly, but that spring looks like a 3+1. I don't think that's a metric ton spring. I believe they were either 3+2 or 4+1, depending on year.