Stinky

Hello all- Getting around to introducing my truck...

At the end of 2000 I bought an ‘89 MJ SporTruck 4.0L, AX-15 NP 231 as a daily driver while I re-did my ‘01 XJ. I bought it from a 75+ year old man who primarily used it for fishing and hunting trips – had 60,000 miles and I purchased it for $4,500. Not too soon after I christened it “Stinky” as I think he piled the dead animal carcasses and catch on the floor of the passenger seat. I worked like hell to clean the carpet, but there was no getting rid of the stench.

I drove the Comanche to 100K and decided I wanted to bring it back to “new” condition. So I got myself paint/ body certified and began working on the MJ nights and weekends. Completely stripped and painted it back in 2002…then let it sit for close to 4 years thanks to marriage, kids, work and life. Fast forward to 2010 and I’ve started back to work on it in a slightly different direction. Removed all the Renix wiring and running gear to go H.O. Basic plans and WIP are: 4.7L H.O. conversion, 4.11 D30/D44, 3.5”/4.5” lift, 97+ XJ door windows, Eliminator/ XJ Limited interior, Hurst AX-15 shifter, CRL power slider, modified XJ overhead console, XJ ebrake, r134 AC, etc. I’m in no rush to get the MJ done as I am an insane stickler for detail.

Currently I’ve stripped/ am re-doing the chassis undercoating and am finishing up painting under the hood. Don’t know that you’ll see much activity with this project posting because as I mentioned, I’m slow moving… Below are progress photos over the years. I’ve definitely taken steps backwards to go forward. (The only “before” Comanche photo I have shows the Grizzly rims I swapped on pre lift -- The MJ originally had Jeep 10-spokes and camper shell).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

It's been a while since I've updated project Stinky...Finally getting back to work on it.

Stripped the "frame" / uni-body down and used bedliner to coat it. I then clear coated the bedliner material for UV protection and easier cleaning. Painted the underside of the truck bed satin black on all panels, even the between the double wall. In place is the 4.11 Dana 44 on Metric Ton leafs. A TeraFlex disc brake kit and cross-drilled rotors will hang on the axle shafts. As for a rear sway bar, I went with Addco's 1" WJ bar set up. 

The engine compartment was scrubbed and painted as well. The sunlight makes the color look a bit orange, but I repainted Stinky factory Colorado Red. Currently under construction is a hidden winch that keeps the factory bumper in its original location with the fairlead tucked behind the license plate. The winch will be cab controlled using the factory switch pod to the right of the steering column and oem switches. One for power, one for winch in and out. The truck will never see dirt, but I just wanted a hidden winch. (Building a second one for my gray '92 MJ as well). I'll be using a Warn 8K winch.

The big news is I took delivery of a Hesco stroker, complete with Edelbrock aluminum head. Once I get it dropped in, there will be an assortment of goodies to go with it. Some items include: '00 XJ intake manifold, bored TB, relocated CPS (Hesco kit), cold air intake, Borla header, etc. 

I'm a slow mover and stickler for detail, so the updates will have serious spans of time between them. 

I'm a slow mover and stickler for detail,.....................

Yes, you are. Damn G, does that mean we have to wait another six years for the next update? :yes:

I'm anxious to see/hear how that new Hesco motor with the Edelbrock head works. C'mon man, step it up!  :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Any progress on this one?  I like the jack stands there.  Did you build them or buy them?  

Also, I am curious about that hidden winch bracket you mentioned.  I plan to stuff a winch behind the bumper of my XJ and am interested in different mounting methods.

The gray jackstands? I got those on Northern tool. ESCO brand jackstands. I like them because they have a thick rubber isolator on the top to prevent damage.

This truck will have the same hidden winch as my other project 'Son of Stink'. I have photo's of that hidden winch carrier in my other build thread.