1987 Jeep Comanche Chief

Hey Guys,

This is my 1987 Jeep Comanche Chief 2.5L 5 speed,

As some of you know, my Uncle didn't want his Comanche anymore so he was going to give to one of his students at the college he works at... Well for my 4th of July trip to Alabama, I gave him a dollar and it's now mine. :) I plan on using it to commute to school, because gas in my TJ is just horrible. I do plan on doing some minor touch ups, like the gauge cluster, steering wheel column, and oil leak around engine, and also fix the veering to the right situation (any help?)..

I have some pics of when it wasn't clean, I cleaned the carpet and everything up in AL, but it's not in my hands yet, because I need to get some insurance on it first and then I'll try and drive it the 10 hours from AL.

Hope you guys like it!

Mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Ok, sorry it has been forever, but I still have not gotten the MJ...

My Uncle was going to 'lend' it to my cousin's boyfriend, who is a plumber, who does his own work, but doesn't have a vehicle. And I was like well ok, but I still want it no matter what, but when I told them there is a huge oil leak, like huge, dripping from the bottom of the engine bay, they decided to call it off. And I will HOPEFULLY be picking it up next weekend, depending on when I start work..

I will be towing it from Athens, AL to Fort Mill, SC (about a 9 hour trip one way). We will be using a dolly. What do I have to do to set it up on the dolly? Like disconnect anything and what not.

About the oil leak, could it be a bad valve cover gasket even though it is going all the way down to the bottom of the engine bay and dripping off?

Thanks !

Mike

Ok, I don't get it. It's a Chief supposed to be the top of the line for Jeep.

So why then doesn't it have power locks, windows, Dana 44, 4.0L, Auto, Full Gage cluster, buckets, center console, cruise etc. (EDIT: oh it has cruise!!)

I am not hatin' but curious that the top line Chief model seems as stripped down as any other MJ.

Hey, if it helps that front brush guard was a factory option, and I see that your interior lights work!!

Nice truck and good luck with building it, let us know if we can be some assistance.

I'm not sure why it doesn't have all the upgrades. It was prob the cheaper one of them. It does get where you want to go. And I'm glad it's a 4 cyl. College student driving a Tj with very low gas mileage and work weekends isn't good on the bill.

I live in white grove. I went to nation ford high school. I live on the other side of Baxter village (where fort mill high is keep going down that road)

Ok, I don't get it. It's a Chief supposed to be the top of the line for Jeep.

So why then doesn't it have power locks, windows, Dana 44, 4.0L, Auto, Full Gage cluster, buckets, center console, cruise etc. (EDIT: oh it has cruise!!)

I am not hatin' but curious that the top line Chief model seems as stripped down as any other MJ.

Hey, if it helps that front brush guard was a factory option, and I see that your interior lights work!!

Nice truck and good luck with building it, let us know if we can be some assistance.

The Chief package did not indicate top of the line as one may think (although Chief owners normally think so even though deep down, eliminators are SLIGHTLY better :clapping: ) It meant body graphics, minor interior upgrades, carpet, etc. If you wanted the 44, 4.0, etc, you still need to explicitly order it. I have one and my original window sticker is posted on this link if you are curious. The options that are included with the Chief package are listed.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21903

That is nice!

I always wanted black interior. I might go searching for some buckets and center console once it arrives.

Thanks for the complements. I always liked the Tan interior. :yes: Tan buckets should be pretty easy to find. If I were you, that and a center console, would be the only thing I would change. Black is very rare.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news!!

We are finally making the trip to tow her! We are leaving about 5am on Saturday and making the trip back on Sunday. I will be sure to take pictures and update this more often...

Question: what should I do to tow with a dolly?

Great news!!

We are finally making the trip to tow her! We are leaving about 5am on Saturday and making the trip back on Sunday. I will be sure to take pictures and update this more often...

Question: what should I do to tow with a dolly?

Front wheels on the dolly, then disconnect the rear driveshaft at the pinion yoke and tie the driveshaft up below the tub securely.

My '89 2.5L blows oil out the dipstick tube, as do many other early 2.5L's from what I've been reading on here.

Great news!!!

Hauling it back.. She rides good. :rotfl2:

the floor boards are crystal clear! No rust at all!! I'm so happy. I have a question though. If it was converted to amsoil cause it burns oil is it possible to convert it back?

Here are some recent pics of her!

Just some surface rust. Yes!

All strapped on, strap on the wheel wasn't tight enough so it started coming lose.

Picture of it at night in the driveway where it will sit and get cleaned until we get the tag.

Here is the front bumper (one with the trailer ball on it) that my Grandfather made for it to load/unload his boat in.. It is bolted to the tow hooks on the front, pretty stout. The other one is the factory front bumper with the fogs (on went out, notice the different sizes.

This is the bed, Uncle moved some stuff and never cleaned it, but it a drop in bedliner thing, plan is to herculine it in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed.

Projects for the week:

Take the camper top off (selling, comes with light,questions feel free to ask)

Wash her

Figure out what shape the engine is in (will run, just oil everywhere)

and clean underneath

• 1 month later...

So it turns out, my valve cover is all screwed up, tried many different ways to fix it from leaking... Even bought another valve cover, but it still cracked in two places... Hopefully I can figure it out and be done with it and start driving it..

Also, I put it on the lift at work and noticed my tires are dry rotted to hell... I need some new P235/75r15's soon, whenever I get enough money... lol I do need an alignment soon and to fix my steering wheel wobble... I want to get all the mechanical stuff done before I buy the tires because I will want to drive it with dry rotted tires and forget all about the mechanical stuff...

Anyone know what part I need for the steering wheel wobble problem??

Anyone know what part I need for the steering wheel wobble problem??

You should be able to take your column apart and tighten the bolts inside. there's a write up somewhere if you want to search for it. I would, but coffee break's over.