1987 Jeep Comanche Chief

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be easier just to switch out the steering hweel column with another that doesn't wobble?

Changing the whole column is probably easier than taking it apart.

Yeah I figured that.. What would I have to take off?

Did the LED dome light upgrade about 2 days ago.. I love how bright they are now. I haven't been really busy on this due to work and stuff around the house, but my valve cover came in (from a 94 or 95 wrangler) and will hopefully been hooking that up some how...

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile... I have been driving this thing a lot lately, it is starting to have some issues, and my TJ's muffler just went out, started rattling today, so I'm stuck on both, but I have done a few upgrades, I got my valve cover situated. I just wish I could get a 4.0L :( any free ones out there? lol near me? lol

Here's some pics of the valve cover.

Had to jimmy rig, some parts. lol

It is from a 2.5L wrangler... So I went to the dealer and asked for this part, it was $10..

Also did the LED lights.. :) ohhh me likey. (And yes, my headliner is held up with multi color needles.. lol)

I wouldn't sit in your truck if I was paid to... I'd be too afraid of sitting on needles! Just cut a piece of 1/4 wood about 3/4" too ling width wise and stick it between the a-b pilar trim or just take the headliner out and spray the backerboard with 3m adhesive! There's a few diy threads on headliners out there :thumbsup:

I hardly ever see needles stick out the headliner lol. I'm been wanting to do the headliner, but with my other jeep and money just won't let me. I got some pads and rotors today, I should be able to install them tomorrow.

I agree on how easy the headliner is to do. I got material from Wal-Mart (on clearance rack) 3M adhesive and had less than $10 total cost. I just pulled the headliner down scuffed all the old foam off and glued the new stuff on. I would venture to say it might have taken the same amount of time as organizing and "installing" all those pins LOL. I used a fleece type material which gave the appearance and feel of the original foam. Time and money well spent. Just a thought

• 3 months later...

I will have to go to walmart or get some from work tomorrow..

I finally fixed the wobble in my steering column. My friend and I did tonight, it took us awhile, but it was our first time tackling it... Everything is tight and I'm happy with it. Now I just need to go to the JY and get a ZJ tierod and some new tie rod ends..

I gave him a dollar and it's now mine. :)

That's probably the best dollar you'll ever spend. You lucky dog ;-).

BTW, did you ever get some bucket seats. That bench seat sure looks to be in good shape and I could sure use a new (to my 'manche) one.

later, Jerry

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile, but I have been busy. I did the cheap 2" lift. I got the Chevy Drop shackles from Auto zone for $40 then got a set of 1.75" coil spacers off ebay for $35. I'm very pleased with it. I also put some used 31's on (265/75/15). I need to do an alignment soon and start driving this thing till the 2.5 goes..

Just noticed that my mud flaps are very close to the 31 inch tires.. lol

Pics (From cell):

With the 31's and 2" lift

With 235/75/15

• 1 month later...

Got this at the Junkyard this morning, only $25. From a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was a pain to get out (took about an hour, had to take the fuse box out) and my line wrenches didn't fit the lines, but I should be going to harbor freight this weekend to get some tools to finish the job.

Here it is:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Been awhile since I have updated..

I still have my track bar bothering me (ordered a mount the other day by a member, hopefully it will get here soon). I am in the process of doing the JK shock upgrade. I got some brand new (230 miles) shocks from a 2012 Wrangler for $50. I have the rear JK shocks installed (got done tonight) and I'm waiting for the sunshine tomorrow to do the front. I'm glad I'm getting new shocks because my old ones were leaking pretty bad..

Not much more to update (I forgot what I did to it)

Oh! I took my carpet out, clean as a whistle on the floorboards! I put some bucket seats in from a junkyard MJ and I've been getting some extra parts for the truck also. I did the WJ control arm upgrade too (works great, very pleased!)

That's all I have,

sorry for no pics in awhile, been busy with getting engaged to my girlfriend for 4 years!

Any nice places for a honeymoon? We were wanting to go to a beach somewhere private..

Thanks for reading!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much to it.. Got my new speakers in from onlinecarstereo.com and going to get an amp soon.. Went to pick a washer and dryer today and I got tired of the plastic bed liner..

And just for some pics here is the washer and dryer we got for $100 (for the pair)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Well, it's time to update this thing.. Over the past 3 years, I've sold the comanche to a friend, then bought it back. Bought a 4.0L AW4 231 drive train and in the middle of a engine swap (keeping it renix for now) and 97+ front end. Hopefully I can get some pictures tonight. 

It's good to be working on the Jeep again.