the MJ Registry can now be found in the DIY forum

Automan2164

I've been thinking lately, about some sort of MJ registry. It would be nice to have a list of MJ's, where they are at, what they have in them now... You know, just be able to keep track of how many are on the road, and how many in the junkyards. I was thinking that the mods could set up another section, "MJ Registry" with subfolders for each year. Use the VIN as the title, and put the description with some details about the truck. Maybe what the original combo was, (If known), the build date on the door, any kind of notable options, current set up, location (optional, but I would like to see where they all are), and a "still on the road" or "Junked"...

Here is what I am thinking, I'll use one of my trucks as an example

1J7FJ66S2NL223002

1992 Comanche Eliminator

4.0L HO / AW4 / NP231 / D30 / D35 / SWB

116,000 miles as of 5-2010

Build: 4-92

Current location: Northern IL

Notes: Has full skid plate package, factory hitch, and Factory rollbar (not original). Has the original Eliminator interior with wingback buckets, aftermarket stereo and speakers. Non-original horn button. Floors, cab corners, and rockers have been repaired. Rust through on bed. Hunter green metallic in color.

Owner as of 5-2010, Automan2164 AKA Rob L.

What do you guys think? Anything to add? Any concerns? I would like to keep the VIN thing, because it would be nice to have, as the VINs are sequential (IE, 321334 then 321335). Be really cool to see if your MJ rolled off the line in front of another member's. 8) Having it in the "forum" format, and keeping it here would keep the database search-able, and you could trace an MJ once its registered.

Discuss!

Rob L. :cheers:

I don't know sounds like a lot of work for some of us..lol I would have to let you know about the 10 I have sold and the 8+ in the yard. LOL others on here have more then me to deal with... it all sounds like a good idea but i would be a day walking in the yard gathering info then :typing: it all out... :doh:

call everyone that I sold a mj too and see it they mind... :smart:

anyway yes it would be a great thing to do but i think it shold be a closed thread so that its not full of bla bla bla..

so yeah do it up but like I said do it so that the info is sent to soemone and they put it on the thread...

Wasn't there a clickable map link on the old Yahoo group CC where any MJ owner could enter the location and details of their vehicle(s)? I have a single live brain cell that remembers this.......................

i have been thinking about this for a couple of years. (since i got into mjs, actually). mostly because of the mopar registry, which admittedly i know very little about. i think this is a very good idea to the point of even being important.

it seems like the details of your example might be too many and could easily complicate the program. the vin would be #1 in importance, year, bodystyle, engine size, and status. all mjs should be registered even if you are about to cut it up and send to scrap metal.

so ya, great idea. I'm not sure how the mopar one works but ive always liked knowiing that people were doing this. ive kinda secretly always considered mjs to be a final opportunity for me to have a cool, collectable vehical for little cash outlay (at least as far as the initial purchasing of the vehical goes) -it all seems to change after that -lol.

Are VIN #'s really needed?

What's the point, then? How would you track them....everyone would just have one from certain years, leaving no way to account for them. The idea is to be able to account for what MJ's are left, vin numbers, condition, original engines, etc.

I don't understand this fear of posting VINs. You can walk up to any car anywhere, look at the windsheild and write down the VIN. Kinda like people who blur their plates! Eveyone sees it when you drive down the road, whats the difference? I can't say thet I beleive the stories some people tell about why they do it. Its like one of those friend of a friend of a friend stories that is probably an urban myth. If someone had ill will, and wanted to do something with the info that these numbers can or can't give you, why would they chose some random person on the internet, when they could just get the info on a walk through any parking lot?

I don't understand this fear of posting VINs. You can walk up to any car anywhere, look at the windsheild and write down the VIN. Kinda like people who blur their plates! Eveyone sees it when you drive down the road, whats the difference? I can't say thet I beleive the stories some people tell about why they do it. Its like one of those friend of a friend of a friend stories that is probably an urban myth. If someone had ill will, and wanted to do something with the info that these numbers can or can't give you, why would they chose some random person on the internet, when they could just get the info on a walk through any parking lot?

i totally agree !!! - thats the kind of paranoia that ive never understood.

I think the terrorist have won. LOL

I'm wondering if this was moved to too obscure a place in the forum and maybe should be its own section or something.

i also think that people should be encouraged to write down VINs that they find in junkyards.(and maybe that could have a sub-section).

whoops- spoke too soon. maybe i should have a look b4 i post-lol.