serious beer question

dunl

I am going to say might freeze... Its a fridge... Not a heater. It won't heat up if it gets too cold.

Rob L. :dunno:

would they heat up if it were 100* outside? :shake:

No, but that's because the fridge is constantly maintaining temp.

And I hope your effing with me.

Rob L. :roll:

If though it's a fridge... it shouldn't freeze unless it's really cold in the garage for awhile. It's not a heater, but it is insulated.

I'll give you that, but it will eventually freeze. No fridge is 100% insulated and efficient, otherwise you could put a bag of ice in, and the compressor would never come on.

Rob L.

Because refrigerators remove heat, they don't ''cool'', they can only make things colder, not warmer, they cannot add heat. If the temperature in the fridge is already below freezing, then common sense states that they would freeze. The A/C in our car works the same way, that why car A/C systems are less efficient the cooler it is outside.

Depends on the alcohol content. 3.2 will form crystals at -45. At -60 it will freeze hard enough to pitch a can thru a truck windshield. Tuborg, 12.2 % alcohol needs -65 to form crystals. These figures from the unofficial Thule Greenland Beer analyzation society. Jim Oshel President and chief analyzer. With a whole bunch of help from the Royal Danish Navy.

:cheers: image_209027.gif :cheers:

Will it freeze,if left in a small fridge in an unheated garage? :dunno:

Yes.

If the fridge is running it will happen faster.

if its off it will act as an insulating hotbox, but the beer will eventually freeze.

This is all assuming the garage(ambient) is cold enough to freeze beer in the first place, like if you were in Canadia.

NO it will not!! (@ least not till temps got so lo it wouldn't matter as you couldnt stand them to go out there to check!)

#1 it has alcohol in it.

#2 Its in a pressurized bottle. Even water in such a condition resists freezing to temps in the upper teens.

#3 The fridge works both ways, keeps the temps at the setting, in heat or cold. Pretty much regardless of our side temps. (Again with insencible range.)

Years ago, I drove refer trucks and even in wind chill temps to 50-60 below zero the refer unit kept the eggs and milk from freezing. Point in fact, if the temps where much blow freezing, and that refer unit was on the fritz, that truck couldn't go out!!!! Its kinda screwy when you come in from that kind of frigid cold, wheeling in product directly into a "cooler" that's warmer then where you just came from. Screws with your brain a bit!!

DISCLAIMER: This is to a sensible temperature. Say 20 below zero or so. Not wind chill, but actual temp. Below that the refer unit likely wouldn't be able to run anyhow. if the temps are near zero outside its likely your garage will be warmer then that. Esp if it shares a wall with your home. Mine doesn't and my $100 Home Depot fridge, runs along nicely keeping my beer chilled all year round!!

CW

NO it will not!! (@ least not till temps got so lo it wouldn't matter as you couldnt stand them to go out there to check!)

#1 it has alcohol in it.

#2 Its in a pressurized bottle. Even water in such a condition resists freezing to temps in the upper teens.

#3 The fridge works both ways, keeps the temps at the setting, in heat or cold. Pretty much regardless of our side temps. (Again with insencible range.)

Years ago, I drove refer trucks and even in wind chill temps to 50-60 below zero the refer unit kept the eggs and milk from freezing. Point in fact, if the temps where much blow freezing, and that refer unit was on the fritz, that truck couldn't go out!!!! Its kinda screwy when you come in from that kind of frigid cold, wheeling in product directly into a "cooler" that's warmer then where you just came from. Screws with your brain a bit!!

DISCLAIMER: This is to a sensible temperature. Say 20 below zero or so. Not wind chill, but actual temp. Below that the refer unit likely wouldn't be able to run anyhow. if the temps are near zero outside its likely your garage will be warmer then that. Esp if it shares a wall with your home. Mine doesn't and my $100 Home Depot fridge, runs along nicely keeping my beer chilled all year round!!

CW

CW, I repair reefers from time to time, and the older units will actually use defrost as a heat setting to keep things at the same temperature... A reefer unit is a completely different animal in refrigeration. Newer units have heat.

Rob L.

#1 it has alcohol in it.

CW

With all due respect CW, how does a typical household refridgerator "warm" up something? Every one that I have owned is only designed to remove energy from the inside objects and disperse that energy to the ambient air.

While the alcohol and pressure will lower the freezing point inside the bottle or can, popping off that cap will cause an instant change in state from beautiful delicious amber liquid to a foamy solid that mocks you :rant: .

The temps inside my freezer run about minus 8 degrees. It will freeze a room temp bottle of beer in under an hour. This has been proven many, many times. :ack:

I think I will take from this discussion that the fridge will act as an insulating unit, but will only do so for a few degrees of temperature change. It stands to reason that it will adjust it's thermostat to cool as needed, but on the other hand it won't actually create heat to increase the temp.

The second thing I think I will take from this is that beer in a fridge does not freeze in an unheated garage - in the lower part of the US.

Like Sir Sam (I think) pointed out, I'm in Canada. I was thinking more along the lines of "upper teens" like CW mentioned, not our usual freeze the balls off a brass monkey type of cold. :D

Wow...didn't think I'd get so many replies. :clapping:

This IS a very serious topic. :D I always keep my beer in a dedicated fridge in the garage. It never freezes, mainly because it's not in there long enough and the garage is attached to the house, so I do get some radiated heat inside the garage. Plus this is Alabama. But I did the same when I lived in VT, CT, and VA. It never froze. The trick is to keep the turnover rate high. :cheers:

Of course they do not "HEAT" ids a freakin' fridge... We are talking about the fridge part...NOT the freezer part too...

Auto,

I remember now. Of coarse you are correct. I did say USED TO do that.... :doh:

All I can tell you is my 40 + years experience. Beer in the fridge, in the garage, has NOT FROOZE here in Connecticut! Its been in the teens LOTS, been in the single digits a few times but not extended. Some of my beer is out there now and its just fine.. I JUST CHECKED IT!! We got a foot of snow yesterday and the temps now are right @ 20, my beer is fine.........

CW

Hi my name is Colby. I'm new here. Anyways I live in South Dakota and right now the temp is -2 degrees and has been colder the last few days and not above freezing for awhile. i just went out to my uninsulated garage and checked the mini fridge and the beer isnt frozen. Hope that helps. Great forum you guys have. :cheers:

Hi my name is Colby. I'm new here. Anyways I live in South Dakota and right now the temp is -2 degrees and has been colder the last few days and not above freezing for awhile. i just went out to my uninsulated garage and checked the mini fridge and the beer isnt frozen. Hope that helps. Great forum you guys have. :cheers:

Well geez...was this a scientific test? Did you actually crack one open and swill to be sure there was no freezeage?

I believe we all need to do the test....put the beer out there tonight and check it in the morning. We could even doa test sample (can) all the way outdoors and see if it freezes faster then the ones in the icebox!

:brows: :cheers: image_209027.gif

Well geez...was this a scientific test? Did you actually crack one open and swill to be sure there was no freezeage?

I believe we all need to do the test....put the beer out there tonight and check it in the morning. We could even doa test sample (can) all the way outdoors and see if it freezes faster then the ones in the icebox!

:brows: :cheers: image_209027.gif

I didnt go all the way out there in the freezing cold to see if my beer was frozen in the middle of the night and come back empty handed. Of course i cracked one. three actually.