Lift? No Lift? for 31' tires.

I'm 16 and quite new to this stuff so what kind of options would I have?

Put your 31" tires on stock Jeep rims and drive it. Any rubbing will be the tires on the lower control arms, and a lift will NOT help that.

31s on stock Jeep rims will clear the fenders, but not the lower control arms. I'm running Firestone Destination ATs in 31x10.50 on stock Jeep alloys, with Grand Cherokee (WJ) lower control arms, and there's no rubbing at all (unless I'm entering/exiting a steep driveway at an angle, don't ask, lol). I got a set of WJ LCAs off eBay for about $85 shipped, and spent about $100 getting them installed. But like others have said, aftermarket wheels have a different offset, and you'll end up rubbing the fenders. Better to spend the money and get the WJ LCAs, and not rub the fenders, as long as you have Jeep wheels. And yes, a lift won't help the rubbing issue.

In this pic, you can see how the WJ LCAs are fully boxed, and have a slight "S" bend in them, to clear the tires at full lock (I had the 31s on when the pic was taken):

Here's a couple of pics of my stock ride height MJ, with 31s on Jeep alloys:

As for your future mods, some possible suggestions. You can get a muffler that sounds just as good as a Flowmaster, for less than half the price. Go to Summit Racing's website, and check out their Thrush all-welded, chambered muffler for about $30. That's what I'm currently running on my MJ. Here's the link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-1 ... mage=large

As for tires, there are several good alternatives to BFG ATs, for less money. I got a set of 4 Firestone Destination AT's for less than $500 out the door. Also, if you live near a WalMart, check out the Goodyear Wrangler Authority and Uniroyal Liberators. Had I been able to get a deal on either of these tires for less than the Firestones, I would've gotten them instead. Walmart's mounting/balancing and tire warranty runs about $18 a tire, so add that on top of the tires, and you'll get an idea of what the total package will cost. The Uniroyals were $115/tire, and the Goodyears were $130/tire at my local WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=11983156

http://www.uniroyaltires.com/tire-selec ... re-details

Thanks for the info Robert. My local Canadian Tire Had BFG AT's on for 124.95 a tire. Thats pretty dec. Yeah I've been looking around summit. It looks pretty sweet.One question for ya, where did you get your tonneau cover from? Thanks again!

Thanks for the info Robert. My local Canadian Tire Had BFG AT's on for 124.95 a tire. Thats pretty dec. Yeah I've been looking around summit. It looks pretty sweet.One question for ya, where did you get your tonneau cover from? Thanks again!

The tonneau cover was bought by the previous owner. From looking at the receipt, looks like it was ordered from a company called Sportmaster, slant-side snap cover, part #30-410-01, cost was $269. It has three rail sections that go all around the bed, and one for the tailgate, and the cover snaps to the rails, not the bed itself. It also has three cross bows that help keep the cover tight and helps prevent any "low" spots where water could accumulate. Here's a pic of the cover from the back:

It's a little over 2 years old, and has held up very well. The black cover is a little dirty, but all the snaps are intact, goes on and off easily, no rips or tears in the cover, etc. To me, it's a quality-made setup, and I'll probably keep it for a while. Plus, it keeps the bed out of the elements, and stuff in the bed are hidden from view. I keep some items in the bed, like jumper cables, tie downs, tie down extensions, towing chains, hitch receiver/ball, and a fire extinguisher.

31s on stock Jeep rims will clear the fenders, but not the lower control arms. I'm running Firestone Destination ATs in 31x10.50 on stock Jeep alloys, with Grand Cherokee (WJ) lower control arms, and there's no rubbing at all (unless I'm entering/exiting a steep driveway at an angle, don't ask, lol). I got a set of WJ LCAs off eBay for about $85 shipped, and spent about $100 getting them installed. But like others have said, aftermarket wheels have a different offset, and you'll end up rubbing the fenders. Better to spend the money and get the WJ LCAs, and not rub the fenders, as long as you have Jeep wheels. And yes, a lift won't help the rubbing issue.

In this pic, you can see how the WJ LCAs are fully boxed, and have a slight "S" bend in them, to clear the tires at full lock (I had the 31s on when the pic was taken):

Here's a couple of pics of my stock ride height MJ, with 31s on Jeep alloys:

As for your future mods, some possible suggestions. You can get a muffler that sounds just as good as a Flowmaster, for less than half the price. Go to Summit Racing's website, and check out their Thrush all-welded, chambered muffler for about $30. That's what I'm currently running on my MJ. Here's the link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-1 ... mage=large

As for tires, there are several good alternatives to BFG ATs, for less money. I got a set of 4 Firestone Destination AT's for less than $500 out the door. Also, if you live near a WalMart, check out the Goodyear Wrangler Authority and Uniroyal Liberators. Had I been able to get a deal on either of these tires for less than the Firestones, I would've gotten them instead. Walmart's mounting/balancing and tire warranty runs about $18 a tire, so add that on top of the tires, and you'll get an idea of what the total package will cost. The Uniroyals were $115/tire, and the Goodyears were $130/tire at my local WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=11983156

http://www.uniroyaltires.com/tire-selec ... re-details

did you get that painted yet or is that still your plan?

did you get that painted yet or is that still your plan?

Did I get what painted? When I bought the MJ back in Nov, it was already two-tone, I just hit the lower edges of the panels, about 3.5" worth, with some bedliner spray. If it wasn't two-tone already, just one solid color, I would've hit more of the lower panels with the bedliner spray, maybe up to the bottom edge of the black section that's on there now, or about 8" - 8.5".

Hope that's what you were asking?

• 3 years later...

i have also been wondering about this same topic would wheel spacers work?

For what?

Yes, wheel spacers will move the tires out to alleviate the tires rubbing the lower control arms. BUT ... move the tires out and then they'll be hitting the flares, both when turning and when the suspension compresses. To me that's just not a good "solution," since it creates two problems while fixing one problem.

Run stock Jeep rims, don't lift (since a lift doesn't help the LCA problem anyway) and spend your money on a pair of WJ lower control arms.

As already covered above.

What Eagle just said is why everyone specifies that you must use stock wheels. The stock wheels will clear because of the offset, were an aftermarket wheel and/or spacers will push the wheels outward causing problems.

You could use spacers to keep the tires from rubbing the arms but you would have to either lift the rig or start trimming for fender clearance.

I'm doing the same thing as you and what I'm going to do is lift it about 2" using coil spacers in the front and longer shakles in the back. This would give enough room for the tires and the lift won't be extreme so you will not need to get lower control arms or longer brake cables, etc...

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, Rubikahn said:

Do they have to be OEM WJ arms or will Core arms fit if I wanted to lift 3” or 4” as well? 

anything that's not the factory MJ/XJ arm is better for tire clearance.  :L:  It's that dang lip on the side of stock arms that's just a lug grabber :(  

On 1/3/2010 at 7:52 PM, jeeplover88 said:

I'm 16 and quite new to this stuff so what kind of options would I have?

Your best option is to not run 31-inch tires. With those tires, performance will take a serious hit and gas mileage will take a serious hit unless you regear, and then you're talking $$$ unless you know how to set up gears yourself.

As already commented, on factory Jeep wheels you can run 31x10.50-15 tires and the only rubbing will be the tire on the lower control arm. What wasn't mentioned was that e a 3-inch lift doesn't resolve this. Grand Cherokee WJ lower control arms resolve it, though.