Lift? No Lift? for 31' tires.

13 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Eagle,

The portion of the thread you are replying to is from 2010. I assume the individual figured out what they needed to by now.  :D

Just noticed that.

I wish people wouldn't revive threads that are six YEARS old. Most forums have something set that doesn't allow that to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

This is relevant because I'm debating 31x10.5r15 VS 235/75/15, goodyear wrangler authority VS goodyear Duratec.  I'm using the stock jeep steel wheels.  And pulling the trigger today on the purchase.  No lift or mods wanted.  Stock 87 MJ 4x4.  Thoughts?   

4 minutes ago, WesD said:

This is relevant because I'm debating 31x10.5r15 VS 235/75/15, goodyear wrangler authority VS goodyear Duratec.  I'm using the stock jeep steel wheels.  And pulling the trigger today on the purchase.  No lift or mods wanted.  Stock 87 MJ 4x4.  Thoughts?   

How do you plan to use the vehicle?

Having run an XJ on 30x9.50-15s and an MJ on 31x10.50-15s for a number of years, my view is that the larger tires have some usefulness if you'll be off-roading in soft terrain, but they don't help anything on pavement, and they make things significantly worse in rain and snow. A 235/75-15 is almost exactly the same diameter as a 30x9.50-15, but it's a bit narrower both at the tread and at the maximum sidewall width. I would go with the 235s.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this old thread but I just want to confirm some information in it.  I am new to forum, have a 1991 Comanche, going to put on Rusty’s 3” lift.  But even before I lift I am looking at 31x15 BFG KO3 tires to put on Jeep aluminum rims.  My understanding is that if I swap out front lower control arms with WJ LCA’s from 99-04, that the tires will not rub because of the curve in the control arms?  Is this accurate?  There are some on eBay but they are Omix.  Haven’t had luck with their stuff on my 47 Willys.  Are there any after market LCA’s that will do the same job?

thanks

Pat

I had 31s, no lift and WJ control arms with no rubbing. I then lifted 3". There are after market control arms with a bend in them. If you have the money get adjustable arms. My coil spring has a slight curve to them that I believe could be fixed with adjustable control arms. 

Google XJ or WJ adjustable control arms and several pop up with the curve in them 

some MJs have enough adjustment left in the factory system, to let the owner run stock length arms on a 3" lift. 

the factory caster adjustment is in the lower control arm's body-side mount.