engine blew today

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellas, IMO, it doesn't sound like he has the time to do his first ever engine swap in the dead of winter when he needs to be plowing and generating revenue.

The Vo-Tech idea is an excellent one. Other than that, seems to me if you can find either a cheap MJ or XJ with a decent engine, you jump on that and get back to plowing. Once you're done with that, do the engine swap (either yourself or someone else), and sell off the parts or the whole non-running MJ/XJ and recover some of your investment.

But, the fastest solution to your problem is, like you said, to switch the plow over to your other MJ just to get you through this winter. I would hope one plow season will not effect the truck much, if at all. Assuming you've been plowing with the 88 for some time now, it appears you take good care of your truck/equipment for the 88 to still be in that good of shape. Get through the winter, keep the $$ coming in, start setting some aside for the job at hand when you're ready to fix the 88.

Oh, and because we're all MJ vultures around here, I call dibbs on the 88 if you want to sell it, because, as previously noted, it is nearly identical to mine. :oops: ;)

Fellas, IMO, it doesn't sound like he has the time to do his first ever engine swap in the dead of winter when he needs to be plowing and generating revenue.

The Vo-Tech idea is an excellent one. Other than that, seems to me if you can find either a cheap MJ or XJ with a decent engine, you jump on that and get back to plowing. Once you're done with that, do the engine swap (either yourself or someone else), and sell off the parts or the whole non-running MJ/XJ and recover some of your investment.

But, the fastest solution to your problem is, like you said, to switch the plow over to your other MJ just to get you through this winter. I would hope one plow season will not effect the truck much, if at all. Assuming you've been plowing with the 88 for some time now, it appears you take good care of your truck/equipment for the 88 to still be in that good of shape. Get through the winter, keep the $$ coming in, start setting some aside for the job at hand when you're ready to fix the 88.

Oh, and because we're all MJ vultures around here, I call dibbs on the 88 if you want to sell it, because, as previously noted, it is nearly identical to mine. :oops: ;)

you are right about the revenue needed, and time for my first swap. :headpop:

step one: swap everything to the 92. It's clearly the fastest way to get back up and running

step two: keep an eye out for a donor XJ, either to steal the engine, or to use it as the plow rig

step three: formulate a plan for this engine swap. even if it never happens, it's important to have a plan of attack, so you can pounce on an opportunity

i found an engine w/100k on it for $300.00! at a respected junkyard

i found a mechanic to install it fro maximum amount $750

is this too expensive....i AM in a jam since snows here and not going anywhere for a while.

You try the local techical schools yet, or even the local high school?

Rob L.

what just call them and ask?

plus i would think that they would take way too long cuz its a school project.

mechanic said 2 days max

Well, as for that, you are going to have to compromise... This is usually my guide to that:

If its good and fast, it won't be cheap. (Professional shop)

If its good and cheap, it won't be fast. (Vocational School)

If its fast and cheap, it won't be good. (Shadetree mechanic)

You just have to find your compromise. You can apply that motto to most things...

Rob L.

For a thousand dollars, you could buy a pretty nice Jeep.

Thats what I'm saying there.... Find you another one...

Even though there are a lot of them out there, I wouldn't want to "have to" find a $1000 MJ/XJ in only 2 days. Too many other problems that may occur, whereas he KNOWS he's up and running in 2 days for $1000 or less and hopefully gets another 100k out of the replacement engine. It's a work vehicle, so that's the cost of doing business the way I see it.

I will say this. Of course I'm biased, but the 88 looks way cooler than the other MJ, being a rare Laredo and all, so if it were me I'd make the white one the permanent work truck and keep the 88 for your DD/toy. Hell, then when spring hits, find a donor engine for the 92 and swap the HO in to the 88! A little more work since you'd have to swap all of the HO stuff over, but just another idea. Anyway, your 88 is way too nice to be getting hammered as a plow truck, and with so many new parts recently, it would last a long time as your DD/toy. JMHO...... :thumbsup:

step three: formulate a plan for this engine swap

pffft.....about 6 hours and a case of beer (and pizza)

how close are you to the greater Philly area? Come springtime, my wife and I are due a trip up there to visit her kin. I can take a day and swing up and swap it for ya :D

park the 88 and start gathering parts now. Do it, you know you wanna :brows:

Jeff

sometimes, what ya want to do and what you gotta do are two different things :thumbsup:

i say go ahead and do it.... when the 2.5 blew in mine i was very tempted to get rid of it for parts cause i have too many vehicles and no time, but once i looked into doing the 4.0 swap and how (relatively) easy it is i decided to keep it, mostly cause the body was too clean to just sell it to someone who would cut it up.. i picked up a motor from mike (comanche87) and a parts donor xj from someone in CT for $200 and i'm doing the 4.0 and 4x4 swap and ive been making time to work on it...