engine blew today

man my 88s engine blew today.

plowed all night with it, worked great.

driving down the road today for about 6 miles....no warning...POOF!

RAT TAT TAT

called AAA

towed it home

oil leaking from the bottom

sounds like there is a socket set thrown in the engine

@ 278,369 miles on it

man I'm really screwed now since that was my work truck

now I'm going to try to put the plow on the 92

i don't want to but i have no choice....need to keep company making $

also the add a leafs

front coils

all 4 shocks

tires

and its gonna snow within the next week

maybe smitty can come help!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man thats a PITA but why don't you just get another engine for it and swap? instead of destroying your 92. mauybe its related to the trouble youve been ahving lately?

i can do some stuff, but an engine is way too big of a project for me

i wouldnt even know where to start, even to buy one for the right price, you know not getting ripped off

and where to get it installed

its a shame too, theres alot of $ invested in it, everything is new except the body and engine

i dig my 92 so much.....i don't want to turn it into a work truck at all......but i think i have no choice

:wall:

Where to get it installed? Do it yourself.

Engine swaps really aren't that hard if you're swapping an identical, complete engine without doing anything to the donor motor.

i wouldnt even know which bolt to take off first. I'm not ignorant with vehicles, but that seems very intimidating.

i need to take it somewhere to get it done....I'm not comfortable doing it myself, i understand that it would be easy, but i have no puller, or any right tools

where would i go to get another engine?

would i need an 88, exact as the other one?

or maybe buy another 88 or above for a work truck....there like below 2000.....

man I'm freakin out

Sorry to hear about your 88!

Motor swap won't be hard. Start by unplugging eveything and labeling evething with masking tape. Remove the engine accessories like AC and power steering and lay them to the side. Unbolt the exhaust manifold from the down pipe. Break the motor mount cross bolts loose as well as the belhousing bolts. Sippet the front of the transmission with a stable floor jack and remove the belhousing bolts in order. I stick them in the top of a cardboard box to keep them in order. Get the engine hoist chains hooked to the head/block and remove the engine mount cross bolts. Pull forward the up to get the engine out.

Get the intake and exhaust manifolds bolted to the head. Repeat backwards to get the new engine in.

don't look at it as one big job just several small ones. I have done several on old cars from the 70`s and was scared to do one with all the crap these 4.0`s have but once I started it was no problem quite simple. And remeber theres allways tons of help on here! It may be less work than pulling all the items you listed.

check your local craigslist for cheap 87-90 XJs. :D then you'll have LOTS of spare parts. :D and you'll gain valuable experience taking out the XJ engine. plus you can probably find a running-but-rusty XJ for as much as a separate 4.0.

At the very least, buy yourself a Haynes shop manual. :thumbsup:

Doesn't hurt to put up a WTB thread in the classifieds. There's a lot of New England guys on here who might have one/know where you can get one.

Yeah, but he's from PA. :D Lots of CC members there; stick a post in the WTB and you'll probably get a good engine very reasonably. You can rent an engine puller too. That's what I did when I put my stroker in. :cheers:

I didn't see a WTB add yet.........

But, your about 5 hours Southeast of me, I know it takes 4 hours to get to Binghamton :brows:

I have a '88 re-man 4.0 in a XJ with about 40K on it, with the paper work :D

But, if your in the neighborhood............stop by, I got everything for doing an engine swap :yes:

PA, like NY are part of the "Mid-Atlantic" states.