engine blew today

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man thats a PITA but why don't you just get another engine for it and swap? instead of destroying your 92. mauybe its related to the trouble youve been ahving lately?

thanks alot for the advice....i did just what u said :bowdown:

:hmm:

Rob l.

thanks to everyone who told me to just throw a new engine in....it was the best route to go...man you guys don't understand ...it was hairy for a sec

anyways, here's an update on the 88

leaving for the shop now

look how salty it is

anyway....i was like "itll be ok girl, your getting heart surgery......." when i was steering it onto the flatbed...... :shake:

i hope the new motor is ok....a little worried

anyway, here's pics of the blown motor and some of the trucks

oh yeah, a pic of my rim painting trial 1.....i didnt scuff it enough to get the primer to stick......

well here's the pics of the new engine going into my 88

my mechanic was all pissed cuz they cut it out like cavemen

instead of pulling plugs, they just cut the wires like 3" from the clips, just hacked it off the frame....thats what you get for $300....right?

oh well....i wished my mechanic good luck.......really wish i was doing it myself but......

oh yeah...if you can see, there is some nice plumbing work there, PO must of been a plumber!!!!

I think ur doing the right thing. If ur not comfortable with it and don't have the facilties to do it, I wouldn't attempt it either. I am doing my first 4.0 swap, and I wouldn't say it was easy in the least bit, and I just got out of a year of votec auto tech! That year has about a mile of vaccum hoses to figure out. labeling helps, but overall, it is not an "easy" swap IMO.

any suggestions where to find engine?

check your local craigslist for cheap 87-90 XJs. :D then you'll have LOTS of spare parts. :D and you'll gain valuable experience taking out the XJ engine. plus you can probably find a running-but-rusty XJ for as much as a separate 4.0.

:doh:

any suggestions where to find engine?

check your local craigslist for cheap 87-90 XJs. :D then you'll have LOTS of spare parts. :D and you'll gain valuable experience taking out the XJ engine. plus you can probably find a running-but-rusty XJ for as much as a separate 4.0.

:doh:

I'm ok i got one for 300 bucks

next time

ok i got the truck back on wed.......today....tons of snow

no time even to take the truck for a test run after the swap

this morning, threw the plow on and went

engine feels great......

apparently, i threw the crankshaft through the block

huge hole and cracks everywhere

my oil pressure gauge never worked right

mechanic said oil pump went

sensor didnt tell me.....wham!

whatever water under the bridge

here's some pics for no apparent reason of the truck after 9 hrs of plowing, and idling

car wash.....salt is the enemy>>>>>>> :wall: