Identify metric ton

Is there a sure fire way to ID the metric tonne package? Seems I read someplace, thot it was here but can't find it, that they had 4 leaves as compared to 3. However all 4 of my MJ'S have 4 leafs. one '88 and one '89 has Dana 44's original. One '89 has 44's been added. and one '88 has the Dana 35. Would think the GVW label would say but it's illegible. The VIN for the '89's give the GVW but not metric.

:agree:

5 leaves VS 4 standard, D44, also, the vin will give up the Metric ton package in the "model" numbers of the vin. I have rarely seen the Metric ton badges... I wouldn't rely on those. The last couple years of the MJ were weird too, because short beds could be found with the D44 also...

As a rule though, with jeep, there are no rules. :D

Rob L.

:agree:

5 leaves VS 4 standard, D44, also, the vin will give up the Metric ton package in the "model" numbers of the vin. I have rarely seen the Metric ton badges... I wouldn't rely on those. The last couple years of the MJ were weird too, because short beds could be found with the D44 also...

As a rule though, with jeep, there are no rules. :D

Rob L.

Hmmm... I see one of those "rare' metric Ton badges every day on my tailgate... :nanner:

But OP.. its in the VIN number.

1986 F,G,H,J In position 8 is metric ton.

Renix era F,R,U In postion 8 is metric ton. But a 1 in that position is custom ordered so that also could be a metric ton.

Chrysler era.. don't know for sure

Yeah how does she ride? I stiffened up the front end with the XJ Upcountry springs (rides like a truck should). Want to match the rear as close as possible and I like overbuilding stuff.. :brows:

Do they provide any lift vs OEM 4x4 non MT springs? Is there a difference in ride height between 2wd and 4x4 MT springs

My 86 metric ton never struck me as rough riding, nor was it much if any higher than a regular 4x4 MJ. But individual results will vary as widely as the sag in 20 year old leafs. A shortbed does have slightly less steel back there to hold up. :dunno:

I probably gained close to 3 inches of lift over my stock 4x4 leafs with 100K on them. I haven't wheeled the truck, nor do I plan to. But looking at the leaf pack, I doubt it flexes much as it has 2 thick overloads on it as part of the factory MT pack in 89. To balance things out in the front (in terms of ride and height) I am running OME 934 coils with a 3/4" spacer. Looks good with a slight 'rake' to it's stance. I've driven on it with the new suspension all of 2500 miles before I parked it close to 9 years ago. It handled great in the turns, but I don't think that's what you're going for...

I am currently getting back to work on this truck and have plenty to do. Most everything is gutted and in progress.

I probably gained close to 3 inches of lift over my stock 4x4 leafs with 100K on them. I haven't wheeled the truck, nor do I plan to. But looking at the leaf pack, I doubt it flexes much as it has 2 thick overloads on it as part of the factory MT pack in 89. To balance things out in the front (in terms of ride and height) I am running OME 934 coils with a 3/4" spacer. Looks good with a slight 'rake' to it's stance. I've driven on it with the new suspension all of 2500 miles before I parked it close to 9 years ago. It handled great in the turns, but I don't think that's what you're going for...

I am currently getting back to work on this truck and have plenty to do. Most everything is gutted and in progress.

'k. I am looking for about 1" more lift over my current set up after I add about 300# of tubing witht he same flex. Right now I have a stock MJ leaf pack with an XJ main leaf in there and it flexes REALLY good but it doesn't take weight well (soft).

I have MANY various leafs at the house including the same leafs you have (S-10, XJ, regular MJ, 1 ton MJ, etc.). I was thinking about removing the two (ridiculous) overloads and putting a bunch of regular leafs with arches. I will eventually post up my findings.

Thanks!

MT springs sound like the perfect solution for my rig. 2wd 102k springs to new MT's would effectively yield near 4" of lift if I read that right. And would get rid of my slight negative rake... :oops:

Right now I have a stock MJ leaf pack with an XJ main leaf in there and it flexes REALLY good but it doesn't take weight well (soft).

I'm thinking of doing exactly that. I have a couple of sets of XJ spring packs here I can cannibalize. Did adding the XJ leaf produce any lift at all, or just increase the spring rate?

Right now I have a stock MJ leaf pack with an XJ main leaf in there and it flexes REALLY good but it doesn't take weight well (soft).

I'm thinking of doing exactly that. I have a couple of sets of XJ spring packs here I can cannibalize. Did adding the XJ leaf produce any lift at all, or just increase the spring rate?

It was about an 1.25" of lift.