My Below the Knee Amputation - Iraq

Comanche County

Sorry to hear bro. This sounds almost exactly like my father. 2 tours in Vietnam and came home fine. Then while doing construction had his leg crushed and lost it in almost the exact same place as yours. He recently broke it in an accident and had to have alot of rods and screws put into it and was just fitted 2 weeks ago for a new prosthetic due to the old one not fitting after the surgery. hope your recovery is quick bro.

:USAflag:Freedom,Democracy Thank You!

My cousin lost a leg, don't remember which one, pushed the clutch with his left crutch, when he drove you would have never known that he was an amputee, he was so adapted to having one leg that he never used his prosthetic, most of the time never even used his crutches unless he had to.

Hey guys, thanks for the continued well wishes. I need em.

I'm doing a lot better now and I'll fly to the States on Monday or Tuesday and I'll finish my in-patient recovery in the Temple, TX VA hospital....its close to home and Mom and Dad will be able to visit often. I tried to get into the Center for the Intrepid in San Antonio but unfortunately they are overbooked with amputees coming back from the wars,,,,since I'm not active duty anymore I'll have to settle for the VA but they've got a good relationship with the CftI for the latest info on prosthetics and I'm confident I'll get good treatment and something state of the art to walk on.

If not I'll need someones machining skills...I'm thinking I'll need at least one or two 'novelty' legs for S&Gs anyway,,,,maybe a couple of Jeep crank rods or machine gun barrel legs. :banana:

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd just give a quick update.

First thanks for all ya'lls comments, I appreciate it. Its been a major life changing event.

I stayed in Landstuhl about a month, then from Nov to May was spent in the VA hospital in Temple. During that time I still had a lot of nerve pain in the perinial (?) nerve. The main nerve that is sort of like a fiber optic bundle for the entire lower leg. Anyway, it feels like a badly tingling funny bone that never stops. It was giving me extreme insomnia, just impossible to sleep. Its gotten better over the last month or so and I'm able to sleep better now. During that time though I was taking so many painkillers that now I've got some sort of stomach issue that's my current main issue. But I'll get over it soon enough.

Although I'm not as "ranger-ific" as I used to be, I did manage to walk (drive really) through a JY and found a gem. I'll post it up asap.

Since I've got a little more time now (and internet access), I guess I need to get started on my MJ build page.

I did find a comfortable ride. I wanted a WJ but found a 98 5.9 ZJ Limited in Austin and the guy practically gave it to me. It had 219K on it and I've added 5K more. He had his own helicopter so he knew the importance of preventive maintenance and kept the ZJ meticulous. It runs like a top, only issue with it is I can hear a faint bearing noise coming from the "Super" D44. This thing is a torque monster, there's no loss of traction, it just puts you in the seat and goes,,,,,I've already knocked off a new Mustang with it.

I've got a set of 4.10 and 4.56 axles for it and the old lift components from the MJ will go in it once I get my new RockCrawler long arms on the MJ. I haven't decided which set to use,,,,I'm leaning toward the 4.10s since it's main use will be as a DD and to haul the MJ.

4686667853_00b8a84123_b.jpg

I removed the pimpdaddy running boards - I think it looks tons better without them.

4687306594_1d53cfaedc_b.jpg

4687307518_dae3cb948e_b.jpg

4686668095_face1d8d28_b.jpg

:USAflag: Let me repeat the others in thanking you for your service :bowdown:

Nice ZJ, looks WAY better without the running boards. Though swapping out that NP249 should definitely be on a to-do list.

Thanks again!! :cheers:

I picked up a NP241J for the MJ. Its got the 4:1 low ratio. When I get it in the MJ, the MJ's 231 w/ 2-Low will go into the ZJ....at least that's the plan. I've also got a 242, but I think the 231 will be the way to go since I'm in the south now and there's no snow driving to worry about. I do like nailing the throttle with full time 4 wheel drive though.

4687306984_3f65b6d831_b.jpg

my 360 dakota is wicked fast and our awd Libby is as surefooted as anything on the road in inclement weather. I can only imagine if I got to combine the two together. :drool: Nice Jeep! :cheers:

Man , thank you for the service ! Its kinda ironic that the injuries I had were all non combat related , I got a spider bite back in Ft. Benning during AIT , I still have the scars today

over ten years later . Those little fuggers are nasty , I think a bullet wound heals better . Nice to see your still alive , if you ever come up to CO give me a shout .

Airborne INF , HOAH !

Man , thank you for the service ! Its kinda ironic that the injuries I had were all non combat related , I got a spider bite back in Ft. Benning during AIT , I still have the scars today

over ten years later . Those little fuggers are nasty , I think a bullet wound heals better . Nice to see your still alive , if you ever come up to CO give me a shout .

Airborne INF , HOAH !

will do!

Thank you for your service! :USAflag: If you are ever in the northeast and need a place to crash or anything else, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Beer's on me, too.

Glad to see you're doing as well as you are, I don't think I could take that kind of injury with the attitude you have.