EXO cage tree protection...

ge OK guys, I'm looking for pics and ideas for some bed side protection. I am NO fan of exo cages and feel there is a fine line between cool and gaudy. Exos are way cool while off road on a all out rig. but scream mall crawler when on the road. ESP when on a otherwise clean rig like my MJ.

My club has a couple pieces of property for wheeling. its New England and its in the woods. Ad to that mix lockers and the off camber the rolling hills found here and you end up with tree contact. Last week end we had a trail run on one of these pieces and try as I may, i ended up in the trees all too often. Most times I was able to winch or get pulled off with mere scratches. But one time I dented the drivers door, front fender right in front of the windshield pillar and the tail, just above the tail lites.

Image Not FoundImage Not Found

Let the ideas and pics flow. I intend this to be hashed out thoroughly before the build begins, sometime after the first of the year. For the spring runs to follow.

My ideas so far...

Some 2-3" angle iron for the bed side tops. The horizontal piece on top of the bed side while the vertical on the inside of the bed. Attach to that5-6, 3" wide 1/4" thick "stand-offs" with some 1 1/4" poop pipe welded to that. So it sits approx 2" off the bed side just below the top of the bed side. Then a 90 degree bend wrapping around the back terminating in another 1/4" thick piece that gets bolted in to the latch for the tail gate. Up front I plan another 2-3" wide piece of 1/4" stock running between the bed and the cab welding to both sides and bolting to the bed. Also considering another full length piece of 3/16" thick, 3" wide flat stock ON the bed side and welded to the inside of the pipe running the length of the bed. Finally two removable cross pieces that will get installed when wheeling and out for DD purposes.

Know that I am no good at any of the drawing or cad programs to show pics of what I am describing.

What I would like to see and hear is your ideas or pics of parts of exo cages you liked or where impressed with.

CW

This picture is horribly small and I can't find anymore pictures of it, but I like the idea of protecting the cab and the bed more so than the front end. The front end stuff is easier to come by, plus I don't think it will look as bulky. My next project is rock sliders, so the plan is to have them stick out enough to tie the cage into and also then build my rear bumper to wrap around and tie the back of the cage in.

http://www.jeep-comanche.com/images/jeep-comanche4.jpg

This picture is horribly small and I can't find anymore pictures of it, but I like the idea of protecting the cab and the bed more so than the front end. The front end stuff is easier to come by, plus I don't think it will look as bulky. My next project is rock sliders, so the plan is to have them stick out enough to ty the cage into and also then build my rear bumper to wrap around and ty the back of the cage in.

http://www.jeep-comanche.com/images/jeep-comanche4.jpg

THX for the pic, I'll size it up for better viewing.

My own rock sliders seem to work well, (home built, CK my build) even so, I will also be extending them a bit. Maybe just under the doors as a pseudo step of sorts...

CW

Wasn'T your bed full of rust holes? Why don't you just get a new bed, and start over. Maybe you could bob it while you are switching beds. The long bed has a ton of rear overhang which is part of your problem.

It had some pretty bad rust around and over the wheel wells. That's now gone. I also had some on the sides under the diamond plate. that was cut out before the diamond plate went in. there is a bit inside the bed, in the very back. But this has been stripped, cleaned and repainted. In the last 3-4 years the holes are small and have done nothing.

I thought about bobbing, but that's not where I want to go with this rig. Its a long bed and its staying that way. That's why I built the rear protection. I went thru a hole where a good deal of the weight was off the rear tires, because the bumper was on the ground before we got thru the hole!! The protection worked perfectly and slid right over with no hangups!! Other than the tight turns, the length isn't really a huge negative. In our woods wheeling here, everything seems to be off camber. Add some rain like its done here all month and lockers. As soon as the tires spin the vehicle heads down hill into the trees on the side of the trail. So just like rock rails protect our rockers, this rail will protect my bed lines.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW

i feel your pain CW, my ONLY body damage was caused by an offcamber slide into trees where i could not get off them.

:cry:

have you thought off some 4-5" wide rock rails behind the wheel openings? that wouldn't help for right above the arch though

What about a slider that runs along the top of the bedside. I have wanted to do this to my truck for awhile now. One of the guys in the club I run with has this setup and it seems to do well.

This is pretty much what I am thinking. Only dropping it just below the bed line as the bed is at its widest point there.

Can you get me pics of his setup? I'd love to see exactly what others have done.

Here is a pic of a hand drawn pic, its a work in progress:

Its a view from front to back, (Or back to front :roll: ) If you can follow it. I added a piece of 1 1/2" or 2" steel running lengthwise under the tube. With additional standoffs welding to it. (Not welding to the bed box anywhere) What it doesn't show is the 90 degree bend at the back that wraps to the rear above the tail lites or the cross piece running between the cab and bed. Both will stop or resist deflection from heavy contact. While at the same time spreading out the forces over a larger area to further resist damage to any one point. Again, removal is something I want to incorporate. For painting and repair.

The ideas are GREAT keep them coming!!! jamminz.gif :bowdown: :popcorn: :popcorn:

CW

I'd rather just see some flat plate armor bent to fit the upper bed corners, and maybe the rails.

Kinda like those goofy diamond plate aluminum 'rail' protectors, but out of something that would actually protect the bed (and isn't shiny :D ).

If you look at these old pics, I used something similar to support the tire/gas can/cooler rack on the old MJ:

(first pic they run the full length of the rails, second pic I had cut them)

It was too late for bed protection for that MJ, so I didn't build the ft/rear corners (I eventually cut it down to make the rack easier to remove & store), but it could easily have been done.

The ends themselves would probably take a few pieces welded together to get the angles right, but I think it could be done nicely.

I used diamond plate for these rails, but would probably use flat plate if I did it again.

If you made top rails like this (also maybe wrap them around a little further down the side), flat plate corner guards & rock rails, and your bed would be pretty well protected.

Personally I'm more concerned about the A pillars on the cab.

I'd like to wrap them with plate, or tubing running from the roof to the fender.

I'd also like it clean, so would probably want to cut a hole in the fender, and have them go through it @ the A-pillar, instead of continuing to the front bumper, or rock rail.

On the roof side, I'm like 50/50 on building a short/clean looking rack, and tying them into that, or just cap them off at the roof line somehow.

Good stuff!! Lots to think on for sure...

I have been surfing looking for pics and ideas for this project. Today was my first chance to put steel in hand and see what could work on the MJ. I was going to mock up a couple feet based on my drawings. I saw some flaws right off. I fear the issue will be strength. I cannot make it just like I have in my drawings..... I have a guy in my club who has done something very similar thing to his SR5. I know about it, but haven't been able to get good pics or get him to respond to my PM's... :wall:

Any how, I came up with something else. Same bar, moved down just a bit. If you envision a profile of the bed side. There is the top, then a 1"-1.125" wide piece followed by a 4" wide piece almost vertical. Then a narrow 1/2" wide strip jutting out followed by the actual side of the bed. First off, I eliminated the angle iron at the bed top. Then scaled down the rail diameter to 1" pipe. Now I've added a wider 3" X 3/16" thick flat stock. Run this centered on the 4" wide part of the bed, full length, front to back wrapping around and ending at the tail gate. Then using 1" tall pieces of round 1" stock as stand offs. Now weld these to that 3/16 X 3" flat stock, in say 5 places down the length of the bed. Birds mouth them to accept the actual bed rail. This will run from just behind the doors at the cab, back to the tail lites finishing with a 90 degree bend around the back.

I think I will make a mock up of one side from plastic, just to be sure its what I like.

Using the same ideas, I may also have something in store for the front... :brows: :brows: :brows: But I gotta leave something for a surprise...

More to comer!1

PLEASE keep the comments and ideas coming!!

CW

It says "pipe bender". Does it have the correct molds for tubing? They are NOT the same thing.

Not specfically, Its expressly designed for poop pipe! :yes: :D :brows: But thats fine with me, for what I want its just fine. I'm not protecting life and limb, (thats what my 45 is for :shake: ) I'm protecting sheetmetal.

The key is having the material fit the mandrels correctly. Today I polished the 1" mandrel. its nice and smooth and fits my pipe almost perfectly.

Next week I'll pick up some material and start practicing bending it!

• 1 month later...

CW! I saw a Toyota the other day and immediately thought of you. ;)

He had some homemade bed-sliders that were super simple and functional. I didn't like the idea of "bed sliders" but once I saw these things, I just might have to make some myself.

I hope this helps you.

Hey CW., don't know if this will help , but there is a shop here in the Springs that makes all kinds of armor.

I don't have a link but, its ARMOROLOGY.com . You may have seen them but, they have allot of great ideas.

Everything they make is way BEEFY.

CW! I saw a Toyota the other day and immediately thought of you. ;)

He had some homemade bed-sliders that were super simple and functional. I didn't like the idea of "bed sliders" but once I saw these things, I just might have to make some myself.

I hope this helps you.

Darren, this is EXACTLY what I am thinking!!! Mine will extend out about 1-2" farther, but thats it!! THANKS for the pix!!!

DJM/78,

I haven't herd of them. i WILL check it out!! Thx...

CW

Darren, this is EXACTLY what I am thinking!!! Mine will extend out about 1-2" farther, but that's it!! THANKS for the pix!!!

CW

Anytime, kid.

:wavy:

I like the compliment, Don't get me wrong. I just done generally receive them from people 20 years my junior... :rotf: :dunno: :shake:

If I had had any curtain climbers, they would likely be about your age by now... :shake: :shake: AND better behaved!! :doh:

CW

I like the compliment, Don't get me wrong. I just done generally receive them from people 20 years my junior... :rotf: :dunno: :shake:

If I had had any curtain climbers, they would likely be about your age by now... :shake: :shake: AND better behaved!! :doh:

CW

:rotfl2:

Sorry CW I call everyone kid, usually without thinking about age.

CW

:rotfl2:

Sorry CW I call everyone kid, usually without thinking about age.

Its all good, :D :cheers: I have found myself doing it as well...

Peace and Merry Christmas!!

CW