Would you rather fix rust or dents?

Automan2164

Hey all, just had someone approach me with an MJ for sale... I don't know much about it, except its been pretty well picked over. Its a LWB like I need and has minimal rust, but was a "farm" truck, so its pretty dented up. The owner of it now says it has some good MJ stuff, like a bench and some various things... He wants $250, but I'll most likely low-ball.

My main question is, the pics it doesn't look rusty, but very dented... Do you think it would be worth it for me to buy it, so I can fix a dented bed instead of a rusted out one, and use/part the rest, or just pass on it, and fix my rusted out bed?

Pics:

What would you guys rather do, and should I just buy it anyway?

Rob L.

I say if it is rusty cut it out and weld some expanded metal for floor, or put bigger tires in place if it is fenders. for rockers get some 1/8 or 3/16 and make some nice rocker panels. Lets face it.. unless you have an ultra rare MJ, with extremely low miles... these things really are not worth that much money to invest in doing loads of body work.

I say if it is rusty cut it out and weld some expanded metal for floor, or put bigger tires in place if it is fenders. for rockers get some 1/8 or 3/16 and make some nice rocker panels. Lets face it.. unless you have an ultra rare MJ, with extremely low miles... these things really are not worth that much money to invest in doing loads of body work.

Basically; if it's beat up don't bother restoring. If there's a few dings/generally straight then fly at it. But in that picture, no, it's not worth fixing that. There's better stuff in the junkyards.

Guy with the MJ's came down to $200, here is his message:

"It was a 4.0 6 cylinder, not sure about trans, 2 wd long bed. The fender and both doors have been changed. The windsheild is still good, back window is still good, nice seat, drive side door glass and passenger side is down in door. The box is very solid and dent on other side is not as bad as passenger side. This was a farm truck, so it got beat up, but came from southern Illinois so no rust or very little. Not much left of it, but what is there is solid. Got four steel white spoked rims, stock jeep rims.No title, I will take $200 cash that is what I paid for it, but now got custody of my kids and got bigger truck so don't need comanches no more."

So, based on the drivetrain, I am thinking it has the possibility to be a Metric Ton. I might just have to go and take a look at it...

Who knows? Could have a D44 hanging out underneath... :brows: Up for a road trip whowey?

Rob L.

Ive been waiting for a call to bring the trailer. If he REALLY doesn't want it and doesn't have the title... I would still offer him less. No title means having to do a bunch of sawz-all work to dispose of it.