HR 1925 Bill Closing MOAB!!!

pilotblake

Please read this and follow the "Just click here" at the bottom to email your representative.

This involves a politician from New York trying to close Moab to ORV's, horse back riding and bicyclists :no: . I for one have not been able to go to Moab yet and am really looking forward to it :bowdown: .

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6807-OffRoading-Examiner~y2009m9d30-Will-Moab-close

I had to edit my text a bit, because as a non-citizen, I do not actually have a right to vote, and don't technically have a representative. But I still sent off an email, as I do live in the USA and this does affect me as I'd like to make it out there at some point in the future.

Too bad we have a new guy in there, because I personally knew the last one :(

I have been to Moab, once, for a day. Drove over early one morning when I lived in Colorado. Was a blast and would like to go back out and further explore the area.

You will be hard pressed to find any endangered species at Moab. Any more than likely the idiots on Capital Hill wouldn't even know where to look. This bill is just the democrats trying to get more restrictions placed on the public while everybody is all worked up about health care and Afghanistan. I think the Obama administration is going to be much harder to deal with than the Clinton administration was in regards to public land accessibility. Ultimately the bill will try and get the 9 million acres completely UNMANAGED. While this would work on a large, continuous scale, there is just no way the ecosystems can restore themselves with so much fringe encroachment.

what the heck is that bill trying to protect? The rocks? The sand? The sand on the rocks? :dunno: Moab is endless stretches of rock. Last I checked, rocks weren't on any endangered list.

Moab is full of rich and exciting things, the Jeepin' being one of them.

What is at most risk are the ancient Cryptobiotic soils. These are 'living soils' that cover 70-80% of the Colorado Plateau. These knobby crusts provide soil stability by combating wind and water erosion. They contribute to atmospheric nitrogen and carbon fixation, provide other plant nutrients, and aid in soil-plant-water interactions with increase in water retention. When a single foot step or bicycle/motor vehicle breaks the crust, it could take hundreds of years to repair.

The slick rock we all love was created during the Jurassic period (205-140 million years ago) when western Utah rose causing the Moab area to change from sand dunes to river floodplain. The southern part of Utah eventually was covered by deep sand dunes followed by petrifaction. This formed the famous Navajo and Entrada sandstone, seen along the Slickrock trail and at the top of the Moab Rim and Poison Spider Mesa trails. It certainly is old, but no recreationist will ever do any harm to the sandstones.

Maybe the worst impact wheelers have out in Moab are in the potholes. You know, like the hot tub. They are just depressions eroded in bedrock that do not define the large scale watersheds of the area. These things can be few inches across to more than 50 feet deep that contain hundreds of gallons of water. Really these things are only important because they are ancient environments inhabited by ancient organisms, aka “Mesozoic lifeboat niches”. They are full of plants and critters from millions of years ago. But still, a foot step or tire through them and they are severely damaged.  

I am sure somebody would argue for these points. But, by simply staying on the trail your Jeep can do no harm. You venturing out on foot (which would still be allowed by HR 1925) can be MORE disruptive to the ancient ecosystems.

here was my email i got back...

Dear Wade:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opinions on legislation before the 111th Congress. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know your views.

Your thoughts and recommendations will be important as my colleagues and I confront the important issues facing our nation. In the meantime, if you wish to share additional information with me concerning this issue, please feel free to contact me by calling, emailing, writing, or faxing me. Please be advised that mail sent to my Washington office is subject to an additional two-week delay due to increased mail security. You can also receive regular updates on what is happening in Congress and the 1st District delivered directly to your e-mail inbox by signing up for my Instant News Updates. To receive the updates, visit my website at www.house.gov/ryan and click on the Instant News Updates graphic on the right side of the screen for this free service.

Thank you again for contacting me on this issue. If I can be of further assistance to you regarding this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am always happy to respond and be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Paul Ryan

Serving Wisconsin's 1st District

Here's the one I got:

October 1, 2009

Dear Mr. Van De Vusse,

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1925, a bill that would designate certain Federal portions of the Red Rock Canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah as protected wilderness lands.

As you may know, H.R. 1925 was introduced by Representative Maurice Hinchey on April 2nd, 2009 and has been referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources. This bill requires a legal description of each designated wilderness area and will ensure that these areas are protected from exploitation so that Americans can continue to enjoy their natural beauty. Because I am not a member of the Natural Resources Committee, I will not have an opportunity to vote on this bill unless and until it comes to the House floor. Please know that I will keep your views in mind when that occurs.

In the meantime, I believe America is home to some of the most breathtaking natural scenery in the world. Many of our natural landscapes draw international attention as well as visitors from all over the world. Without question, Congress has an obligation to protect this natural beauty.

Thanks again for taking the time to get involved. Please don't hesitate to contact me again in the future.

Sincerely,

Zack Space

ehlers

Dear Mr. Freeman:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 (H.R. 1925). I appreciate knowing your concerns.

The America's Red Rock Wilderness Act would designate as wilderness certain federal portions of the red rock canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah.

As you may know, I have a strong environmental voting record on both the state and federal level, and I believe that we must conserve and protect our precious natural resources and be good stewards of the environment. For these reasons, I have decided to cosponsor this legislation.

This bill was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources, Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands for review. At this point in time, the Subcommittee has not considered this legislation. Should this bill come before the full House for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind, especially as they relate to off-road vehicle use.

With best wishes, I am

Sincerely,

Vernon J. Ehlers

Member of Congress