rear fender trim

seems like there isnt much info on rear fender trimming, plenty of methods for the front though. any way ive trimmed the front (and hammered the pinch seam...cause i had to) so as to leave just the half inch of flairing stikkn out. this is the look i like, this is how i want my rear to look. my concern is that the bed sides will be as floppy as the front quarters. what is the preferd way to do this style trim?

- I6 4x4 - swb - 3.5re front - soa rear(~5") - 33x10.5 - 4.5"bs

thnx.

Just do the cut and fold method. They are put together just like the XJ rear is. Just cut some relief cuts in them, and fold them over. You don't loose anything with the spot welds this way.

Sorry I can't find a decent pic of how I did it on my MJ, but here are some pics of what I'm referring to shown on an XJ.

bw30.jpg

bw31.jpg

bw33.jpg

bw34.jpg

I went to the bushwacker site and got the specs on how they want you to cut them and cut them to their specs. You can still trim the stock flairs to fit over the opening as i did. Also if you do it that way and realy screw it up you can find some used bushwacker cutouts to hide it! :yes:

I STRONGLY recommend that you not trim any higher than the pinch weld where the inner liner meets the outer sheet metal. The kid from whom I got my '88 trimmed beyond that, and I have found that no matter what I do to try to stiffen it and seal it, there's no way to keep road crap from getting in between the inner and outer panels and accelerating the rust.

You should be okay if you trim as far as the bolt holes for the flare plates, but I would not try to remove the entire bolt hole flange.

the lites just happened to work for it...drilld the mount hole in the section that bends back 45 deg at the bottom of the bumper and used a hole saw to cut the big hole. carage bolt from the front with the nut at the lites mount for a better look. got the lites from a freind and havnt seen them anywhere for sale nore do they have a name on them. picd up some rubber inserts for the edge and lost them somewhere in the garage.

• 9 years later...

In the process of cutting one of my rear fender mounts for my dirtbound armor, I cut a little higher than the pinch weld and I am wondering if it can be rewarded to. I should have just gone the fold fold method. but I'm not sure how to access the top bolts for the armor with the inner wheel well in the way

edit: just noticed this is from 2009. I'm sorry guys :peep:

I am running wider axles and chose the rear 7" Wrangler TJ flares on all four corners. There is some cutting away of the sheet metal and I haven't quite figured out what to do to replace the inner liner for the fronts, but I really like the look. Once I get the rears finished I will post more pics.

IMG_0562.jpg

Edited by jamespwsullivan
Added text

On 9/7/2009 at 3:28 PM, akamcbird said:

i really don't want to fold it.... if i trim can it be rewelded in some fasion?

It can buts its a PITA. The metal is thin and sucks to reweld. You can't really spot weld it back. The only way will have to tack, grind, repeat and finish. Just wondering why don't you want to cut and fold?