XJ Wagoneer grill Assy

Cash for clunkers claims another XJ, But gives me a chance to get a wagoneer grille. Does anyone know what all I will need from it to put it on my 87 2.5? I assume I just need the whole fiberglass header assy with all the headlights etc, but will it bolt to my 87 core support the same? Thanks for the help guys, Ill let you know when I get it, If I get it! :cheers:

Make sure you get it all, as the headlight buckets (and even the side indicator lights by the headlight bezel) are all different and do not interchange with the XJ/MJ. Your best bet is to take the entire thing (including cutting the wiring harness). Yes it bolts right upto the support.

I was told that if I was going to do this, that I should do it quick, so Ive been working during lunch, pulled the grille, the chrome bumper, skid plates, chrome mirrors, visor clips, radio, clock, cig lighter, dual tone horns. It has 6 way power leather seats that are spotless and full center console. Oh by the way, it is a 1986 Wagoneer limited, with 2.8 V6, auto trans and 228 transfer case. It also has chrome door handles, but I don't think Ill be able to get them due to time constraints. RUST FREE!!! :( :( :( Untouched, unabused XJ going to be scrapped. Ill try to get pics later if I can. R.I.P. :(

Don't do it!

Just take the grille, don't take the header and quad headlights. Those headlights are worse than useless. And the take a very non-standard bulb so there is essentially no upgrade path.

You'll be sorry.

I like the Waggy front ends on an MJ; always have. Thought seriously about doing it myself, but I never could find everything I needed in good shape. And Hella makes H4 halogen headlamp shells for the smaller quad-rectangular headlamps for upgrade.

Image Not Found

I also LOVE the look but worry about the poor quality light output.

CW

my buddy (stock XJ) and i parked side by side the night after i swapped the Waggy on....both of our headlights on and mine were brighter by far...including the high beams...mine are since now even better since i swapped in the H4 halogens

We just got back from vacation and I can't find my camera, so I won't be able to get pics of the new parts right away. But the more I see , the more I want to do this conversion. The header panel is even the right color already! Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I like the Waggy front ends on an MJ; always have. Thought seriously about doing it myself, but I never could find everything I needed in good shape. And Hella makes H4 halogen headlamp shells for the smaller quad-rectangular headlamps for upgrade.

Image Not Found

Love the look! I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cibie used to make H4's for the smaller shells?

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/prod ... ducts.html

One of my buddies put a waggy XJ grill onto an MJ a while back. It actually looked pretty nice, but just not my style. There is no reason to cut the front headlight and turn signalharness, IIRC he said it uses the same plug on the drivers side by the airbox non-waggy XJs/MJ's used (except for the 97+ XJ's that had the different harness/plug). It should be plug and play. Even if it is not, I would suggest removing the wires from your old harness and transfering them to the new harness before cutting to avoid the ugly rats nest of crimped/soldered connections.

I found my camera, I'm going to get pics tommorow, maybe even do the swap too if I can sneak the truck in the shop. We havent been very busy so should be no problem! :brows:

If you decide for some reason not to do the clip swap, I'd drive up there and take the parts off your hands in a heartbeat. Been looking for a good Waggy donor for years and no can find. :cheers: