8 inches of lift in the rear?

Hello,

I have a front set of 8 inch coils that I got from a buddy for 75 dollars. My original plan was to only go 6 inches but I couldn't pass up the deal. So here is my dillemma. I have everything to complete the lift and to do it the right way. How do I get 8 inches of lift out of the rear? I was told you get 6 inches with an SOA on stock springs. Is this true? If that is the case would a two inch add-a-leaf give the extra two inches for the full 8 inches of lift that I am going for?

Thanks

Personally, add-a-leafs add too much stress on the pack. Your asking ONE leaf to lift the entire truck 2" inches, and force the rest of the pack with it. I would look for a set of metric-ton comanche leaf packs, which I think sit about 2" taller than stock. I think someone on here was just selling a set not that long ago. I think you can also find them on ebay brand-new. That way, you can get the spring over, and a new set of leaf packs :brows: , and get the right amount of lift.

Rob L.

i don't like add a leafs. i don't think the metric ton springs ride that much higher, my truck doesn't sit all that tall. but, i would suggest metric ton springs, and maybe a 1" shackle, and it would probably sit level, i like that look better, my truck sits 2" taller in the back than front, i may just do 2" in front to sit level.

SOA is gonna get you about 5" lift.

that depends on your leaf pack, and how high your perches are.

I have a 2wd leaf pack, with 1.5" spring perches that are 8.5" long. gave me 6.5" lift in the rear.

if I put in a 4wd leaf pack, I'd have around 7.5" to 8" lift in the rear.

if I put in 2" spring perches (make sure they are LONG perches around 8 or 9" long to prevent spring-wrap) in the rear then you would gain another half inch over what I have.

Ok thanks for the help. Another question since I am doing an SOA and can compensate for the driveline angle. Would I need to get an SYE kit and a CV driveshaft? I have heard pros and cons.

Our trucks usually have a long enough wheelbase that its not necessary, especially with a longbed, but if you want the added strength, go for it.

Rob L.

Personally, add-a-leafs add too much stress on the pack. Your asking ONE leaf to lift the entire truck 2" inches, and force the rest of the pack with it. I would look for a set of metric-ton comanche leaf packs, which I think sit about 2" taller than stock. I think someone on here was just selling a set not that long ago. I think you can also find them on ebay brand-new. That way, you can get the spring over, and a new set of leaf packs :brows: , and get the right amount of lift.

Rob L.

so if i get some 1" shackles and use my metric ton springs in conjunction with my sua lift, i could get another 2" or so? without having to use a sye?

I have a 2wd leaf pack, with 1.5" spring perches that are 8.5" long. gave me 6.5" lift in the rear.

if I put in 2" spring perches (make sure they are LONG perches around 8 or 9" long to prevent spring-wrap) in the rear then you would gain another half inch over what I have.

I must be missing something :hmm: I have SOA with 4x4 leafs with 1" tall perches and I'm getting about 5".

1 inch of shackle cherokee lift shackles 1 -1.5 in ours and maybe a 1 inch block for the rear

Cherokee shackles are actually shorter then the Comanche ones. And I wouldn't suggest using blocks for anything SOA; too much concern for axle wrap, corrosion, wrecked leafs, etc.. Personally, to match an 8" lift in front, I'd look for a set of 4wd or metric tonne leafs, and build the perches similar to Jeepco, and call it good. Also, as noted, because of our wheelbases, the SYE isn't necessarily needed, but does add a bit of peace of mind.

I must be missing something :hmm: I have SOA with 4x4 leafs with 1" tall perches and I'm getting about 5".

how old are they they could be sagging

Rob L.

so if i get some 1" shackles and use my metric ton springs in conjunction with my sua lift, i could get another 2" or so? without having to use a sye?

Yes, but only if your MT packs are in good shape, i.e. no sag. The MT packs spring rate gives them a higher arc when unloaded, which is where the lift comes from . Because MJs are SUA, the extra leaf in an MT pack technically would l=lower the rear. The thing to do would be install the MT packs and see how much lift it gives you over regular packs, then add the shackles after and re-measure. Fresh MT packs should give you 2"-3" of lift, whereas "seasoned" packs will only give you 0-1". They'll still have good load capacity if that is important, but the natural arc that provides the "lift" over std spring packs will have settled out. And even if you get the full 2-3" of lift, that amount does not need a SYE at all, especially since you have a long bed IIRC.

*shrug*

I got 6.5" out of a 2wd leaf pack plus 1.5" spring perch. that's what I got, and 4wd packs are def. 1" taller at least

thats wierd.

when you order a lift kit its the same kit for 2wd,4wd,and metric ton. they don't say the springs are different,not to doubt you as I'm sure youve seen the difference and i have not.

i may have to bust out the tape measure,remember i have an RRO lift maybe they can't count :dunno:

*shrug*

I got 6.5" out of a 2wd leaf pack plus 1.5" spring perch. that's what I got, and 4wd packs are def. 1" taller at least

thats wierd.

when you order a lift kit its the same kit for 2wd,4wd,and metric ton. they don't say the springs are different,not to doubt you as I'm sure youve seen the difference and i have not.

i may have to bust out the tape measure,remember i have an RRO lift maybe they can't count :dunno:

that's because the manufacturers don't bother looking anything up. the fact that the spring packs are different is common knowledge on CC

"that's because the manufacturers don't bother looking anything up. the fact that the spring packs are different is common knowledge on CC."

JeepcoMJ, that's not entirely accurate, at least for all manufacturers. We have blueprints for all of the Comanche rear leaf springs. (more later)

"ya, they just make a one size fits all to save money, and make it easier for them by stocking one kit for all apps."

jpdocdave, that is absolutely correct, but saving money is not always a bad thing.

There are seven (7) different rear leaf packs for Comanches, ranging from a 980 lb. capacity 3+1 spring to the 1700 lb. capacity 3+2 Metric Tonne spring. The first 5 springs have capacities of 980, 1100, 1160, 1220 and 1280 lbs. They all are made from the same size steel and have the same length leaves. The only differences in any of these springs is the free arch. They are 7-5/8", 8-3/4", 9-1/4", 9-3/4" and 10-1/4" respectively. Of the other two springs, one has 4 leaves plus the 2nd stage helper and has a free arch of 9-1/8"with a capacity of 1440 lbs., and the other, the Metric Tonne, has 3 leaves, plus a 2-leaf 2nd stage helper pack and has a free arch of 9-1/2" and a capacity of 1700 lbs.

We chose to make our 3" and 4-1/2" lift springs based on the 980 lb. capacity stock springs, but we make them with 4+1 leaves to have the same capacity as the 1440 lb. capacity springs. As jpdocdave said, we are making one spring for all applications. This does save us money over stocking a 3" and a 4-1/2" spring in all of the above capacities. That would be 14 springs in all to stock, hoping that someone would order springs in each category - something that rarely, if ever, happens. This would increase our inventory costs tremendously - costs that we would have to pass on to our customers. As I said earlier, saving money is not always a bad thing, as it allows us to sell springs at a lower cost to you.

We also sell the stock Metric Tonne springs without any additional lift. We are also making add-a-leaves specifically designed for the MJ Comanche (basically a Comanche main leaf with the eyes cut off), and we are going to start making the extra Metric Tonne 2nd stage leaf to adapt regular stock springs to Metric Tonne capacity. If any of you would like to see us make something different, just let me know.

-Tom

^to be clear, i wasn't bashing, but merely stating the fact. i know and am involved in how business runs, it isn't profitable to stock that many different leafs. but when talking about how much lift you'll get from your current set up it is important to know.

^to be clear, i wasn't bashing, but merely stating the fact. i know and am involved in how business runs, it isn't profitable to stock that many different leafs. but when talking about how much lift you'll get from your current set up it is important to know.

I agree with you 100%. My post was not meant as a "comeback", just a statement of facts to help clear things up. I am on here to help, not to argue.

Thanks,

Tom