New Here with my recently purchased 1st MJ

Welcome and congrats on the new purchase its good to see more cali members aswell as other 2.8 manches running around :waving:

O SNAP U GOT A CARGO LIGHT !!!!!!!!! that just trippled the value of the truck :thumbsup: jamminz.gif

NICE; the '86 XLS was my 1st MJ too. Your gonna love it...but...the V-6 2.8 :ack: I made the mistake of dumping money into having mine rebuilt...then I learned about the motor. Bad fuel economy + an aweful carb setup + NO POWER = motor swap! And DON'T even think about bringing it up to elevation in the Sierras, especially in the winter...moving there is what made my final decision after having the carb messed with seemingly endlessly, I gave up the battle and sold the truck.

As long as it runs good, might as well keep her going. I'm just saying if/when the time comes, don't dump tons of $$$ into it, there are some great conversions out there with LOTS of info.

Anyway, any plans for lift, body, paint, etc? Keep us updated!

James

Very nice rig with a lot of potential, the XLS is the first MJ that got me interested in these trucks. There is a wealth of information on upgrading to a 3.4L on this board to compensate for the lacking of a 2.8. Do you have the full time 4WD or the part time?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L8BTRutV0uk/S ... d+1986.jpg

And welcome to the club!

I'm going to have to say I have the part time since there is a vacuum system that pulls the front axle into 4WD. Not to familiar with this kind of system. Any good threads here about the vacuum system? All I have done for a week is read posts in the project section about everyone elses builds. Lots of cool and unique ideas.

I'm going to have to say I have the part time since there is a vacuum system that pulls the front axle into 4WD. Not to familiar with this kind of system. Any good threads here about the vacuum system? All I have done for a week is read posts in the project section about everyone elses builds. Lots of cool and unique ideas.
There are lot's of threads related to the vacuum system, many folks do away with it and use a device called posi-lok which is a manual system.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html

-Pull the cover on the CAD (central axle disconnect)

-move collar over to lock axle shaft

-use one of the plethora of ideas for keeping it there

-re-install the cover

-remove the rats nest of vacuum lines and cap the start point

Done. :D Your Jeep will be set up just like the rest of modern Jeeps. 4wd is now available any time you pull the lever. No more problematic CAD.

Well, I just finished installing the rebuilt tranny, new fluids, changed the oil and took it out for a maiden voyage of about 1 mile round trip. WHAT A DOG!!! This 2.8 really lacks in the HP dept. Overall, it drove pretty well. Still need to bleed the clutch master cylinder a little. Still wanting to shift hard and grind a little. Its late, I have to work tomorrow, so maybe by tomorrow night I can get that clutch adjusted in a little better.

Well here are the pics I promised of the floors. Pleasantly suprised at the results. Made a light repair with a wire wheel, rustoleum primer, and a little red paint I had in the garage.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

And here is the nicest AM/FM cassette I have seen in a while. It works too!!!! :clapping:

Image Not Found