Bogus story in the news?

Eagle

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum= ... &ck=&ch=ne

ODESSA, Texas (AP) - A sheriff's office says five people died after their pickup got stuck with its tailpipe submerged in a shallow pond in western Texas.

Ector County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Gary Duesler said witnesses called 911 Sunday evening and had to smash a truck window before pulling unconscious victims from the truck.

With the truck's tailpipe submerged, exhaust may have been vented into the cab. Duesler said it may have been 15 to 30 minutes before anyone realized the truck's occupants needed help.

The victims were apparently "mudding," where people try to drive through shallow pools created by heavy rainfall. They were at small horse racing track a few miles south of Odessa.

Autopsies were being conducted to determine cause of death.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

This story is ridiculous. I'ce seen Jeeps drive through ponds so deep the driver had to sit on the back of the seat and push the accelerator with a stick, and I've forded lakes wide enough that the exhaust was under water for at five or ten minutes without interruption. If the engine can breathe, it'll exhaust just fine with the pipe under water. If it can't exhaust ... the engine stops running.

Somethin' ain't right ...

*In the heaviest redneck accent

" I told y'all those sewer pipe stacks would have sure been cool. Who's the dumbass now?" :fool:

If its true, its a shame. I could vagueley see it, but they would have to be alone, in the middle of nowhere, and not have the sense to open up a window while they are waiting for help. :dunno:

Rob L.

So........the news starving for news????? :shake:

:bs:

Question is........if it was a regular cab pick-up ( which it don't say ) How do ya get 5 people in the cab :hmm:

And not one of them want to get out after 15-30 minutes :hmm:

:shake:

Thanks for enlightening my day :D

Don't believe it....

I've had mild CO posioning before... There is no mistaking that headache for anything....

5 people couldnt figure out to open a window?????

I could almost see a rusted out exhaust venting into a cab though...

Having worked directly with the media for years, I suspect this is yet another sensationalized story... What probably happened is the occupants overdosed on crack while the motor was running and the “…exhaust may have been vented into the cab”.

I guess crack overdose in that town isn’t news worthy anymore. :eek:

Don't believe it....

I've had mild CO posioning before... There is no mistaking that headache for anything....

Have you ever been to Odessa? Rocket scientists are not grown there. :dunce:

I could see how a rusty exhaust and a rusty floor board could provide an easier escape for exhaust gases than forcing the water out of the way. But, I'd like to know more details too. It is so hard to find any useful information in the news. :doh:

Willy

Don't believe it....

Have you ever been to Odessa? Rocket scientists are not grown there. :dunce:

I could see how a rusty exhaust and a rusty floor board could provide an easier escape for exhaust gases than forcing the water out of the way. But, I'd like to know more details too. It is so hard to find any useful information in the news. :doh:

Willy

My thoughts exactly. Its Odessa, hell its not even midland. These are people that are not smart enough to figure out how to get the hell out of odessa!

Crappy old truck(prolly 2WD in texas), in a mud pit with a crappy exhaust and floor.

Mix in some bud light and lethal levels of CO probably built up by the time the three remaining brain cells could figure out what was going on.

My thoughts exactly. Its Odessa, hell its not even midland. These are people that are not smart enough to figure out how to get the hell out of odessa!

Crappy old truck(prolly 2WD in texas), in a mud pit with a crappy exhaust and floor.

Mix in some bud light and lethal levels of CO probably built up by the time the three remaining brain cells could figure out what was going on.

Sounds like the kind of party minibeast would be at. I bet he's even gone wheeling with those guys before.

Sorry for you losses Roger.