fixing my 88 mj

hello my names jon, this forum is inteanded for my 88 mj. it needs alot of work but i have alot of time on my hands bein out of school for a few months so its ok. first off i bought my comanche a few days ago and only paid $50 for it. it has a salveged title but I'm retarded and forgot to ask why and if its been fixed. its ok tho the guy i bought it from is a friend so its not like I'm never going to see him agian. its been rooled and I'm pretty sure thats why it has a salvaged title, when it rolled it busted out the front window and bent the a-pillars. the po decided to cut out the a-pillars completly and instead of replacing the just weld in steel tubing. so now i have to go to the junk yard and cut some out and try to line them up the best i can. if anyone has done this and could tell me alil bit about what to expect it would be much appresiated:). i havn't gotten it started yet, when i bought the truck the po said that the fuel fiter was clogged and needed replacing. since i could hear the pump working i didnt think anything of it. after replacing the filter and still not getting any gas through the lines i took out the gas tank( its a really smart idea to siffen the gas BEFORE you take out the tank cause if you don't your going to have alot of fun....also move your mouth before the gas comes out of the tube, you don't have to but its probably a good idea old gas doesn't taste very good, actually i don't think any gas tastes very good :doh: ) and took off the fuel pump noticed a hose unconeected on the pump, and wasn't sure if i knocked it off taking the filter out or not so i put it back in the tank and tested it and its pumping :clapping: . so tomoro I'm going to get the tank back on the truck and hook all of the lines back up. i can't wait i havn't had this truck a week and have only heard it run for a few sec.'s and I'm already upsesed. I'm still not sure if I'm going to completly fix this truck up or find one that doesn't run for cheap thats in better shape and just swap the parts. ill post some pics of what she looks like as of now though

yea i need tires really bad

some pics of the costome a-pillars that need to be cut out

tell me what you think. and be honest

Throw on the biggest mud tires you can fit, then wheel the snot out of it. When the rear leaf springs break in half, then find another one to swap parts on. (Pass side top leaf looks fubar)

EDIT: Is it even 4wd? I don't see any T-case shifter.

That thing is rough.

I would see if you could find another and swap everything that's decent over. Suspension's junk, rear axle looks bent, cab is too much work to make legal.

I think that's your best option. The bed looks savable though.

Oh, and What the HELL is on the valve cover bolts?

BJA814: No it's definitely not. You can see in one of the pics the front is definitely not a D30.

Throw on the biggest mud tires you can fit, then wheel the snot out of it. When the rear leaf springs break in half, then find another one to swap parts on. (Pass side top leaf looks fubar)

haha i got it started today and found out it has a blown head gasket. so since i live about a house away form miles and miles and miles of desert. i think I'm just going to take a few things off it, and with 3 blown tires and a doughnut see how far i can get in it before it blows up or i roll it. I'm prolly gunna put my dirt bike in the back so i have a way home but it doesn't sound like to bad of a plan :banana: . and i just got kicked out of my house tonight and need to leave in the morning so it seems like a good way to blow off some steem. i havn't even changed the title over to my name so i don't really have to worry about gettin in trouble for it bein in the dessert someone named joe will haha

What are your plans? Are you trying to get it street legal? Or is it just a wheeler?

i was thinkin about street legal and then noticing how much work it would take i was thinking about a wheeler and now I'm thinkin its pretty much trashed lol. I'm gunna buy another one tho. i found one on craigslist and need to call and ask the price, but its going to have to wait till i get some stuff figured out. i love these trucks though, and I'm almost positive I'm atleast goin to have a few more.....hopefully they'll be in better shape then this one though

That thing is rough.

I would see if you could find another and swap everything that's decent over. Suspension's junk, rear axle looks bent, cab is too much work to make legal.

I think that's your best option. The bed looks savable though.

Oh, and What the HELL is on the valve cover bolts?

BJA814: No it's definitely not. You can see in one of the pics the front is definitely not a D30.

the rear leaf spring is pretty much trash the axles good, its just on a jack in the pic from when i was taking the gas tank off to get to the fuel filter.

haha good question i have no idea. there actuall bolts to there not just a cover for them. if anyone nows please tell me I'm kinda curious. i like the red anodized though it looks kinda cool when there shined up

nope she just a little 2 whl model. it does have the power transmison tho to change the ratio or somthing i guess its like 4 hi and 4 lo. not sure exactly tho or if it even works or not lol

nope she just a little 2 whl model. it does have the power transmison tho to change the ratio or somthing i guess its like 4 hi and 4 lo. not sure exactly tho or if it even works or not lol

That's for changing the shift points on the AW4 transmission. Most early XJ and MJ's came with this button.

And PLEASE don't leave it in the desert. It's just not a responsible thing to do. Atleast sell the taillights to make your moeny back and call someone to get it for scrap.

Matter of fact, if you're willing to take them time, I'm sure you could sell some body parts to those of us up here in the northeast and the rustbelt. Bed is in decent shape minus the rear quarter...but the wheel arches are perfect, the rockers and cab corners look good too.

I saw the K&N sticker on the airbox, so if it's still in there you basically got a nice air filter wrapped in a beat-down truck. If it's not in there, you paid $49 too much, and I'm the type of guy that thinks anything that runs and rolls, no matter how bad, is worth $500.

Like everyone else said, sell off as many parts as you can, you'll be ahead by a few hundred bucks probably and help you buy a fixable truck.

haha i got it started today and found out it has a blown head gasket. so since i live about a house away form miles and miles and miles of desert. i think I'm just going to take a few things off it, and with 3 blown tires and a doughnut see how far i can get in it before it blows up or i roll it. I'm prolly gunna put my dirt bike in the back so i have a way home but it doesn't sound like to bad of a plan :banana: . and i just got kicked out of my house tonight and need to leave in the morning so it seems like a good way to blow off some steam. i havn't even changed the title over to my name so i don't really have to worry about gettin in trouble for it bein in the dessert someone named joe will haha

If you are serious you are a moron. Please do not abandon it in the desert. I hate looking at and cleaning up trash left by idiots. :fs1:

Willy

don't worry I'm not going to leave it in the dessert. I'm going to take a few things off it and sell the rest to pick-a-part for $75 and atleast ill be getting a profit on it haha. if i had sometime i would definatly sell the parts to people on here and jf. you guys are great but unfortunatly i just need it out of here and i need the money very bad. srry guys

Yah, its rough.

However... I KNOW that there are people who would be very very interested in getting those un-molested and clean rocker panels, cab corners and possibly floorboards out of that truck if you decide to part it out. My guess is that they would last all of about 5 minutes if you posted them up for sale in the classifieds with a reasonable price tag on em...

Speaking from experience here, it would be in your best interest to get a good solid starting platform for a project. The amount of work you have on this one is too much to justify saving it. You will be ahead quite a bit of time AND money by buying another MJ...

Best of luck, if you are patient you should be able to find one cheap - at least thats the story for around here. They pop up now and then, just keep looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Man ,you got a prerunner right there,just cage the cab ;) .On the other hand ,I see a truck- load of parts there.Where are you located?,I'll take those valve cover bolt's,billet hose clamp's, let,s see what else,oh, what's up with those seat's?

I'm sure theres someone on here that wouldnt mind having the bed off of it either. Sell the bed, and make back all the money you paid for the truck.!

REMOVE THE TAILIGHTS AND KEEP THEM FOR YOURSELF IF YOU REALLY PLAN ON FINDING ANOTHER MJ!