FIAT !!! The new owner of CHRYSLER

Red 1989 MJ

We will have an Italian company for all the good asset of Chrysler. :eek:

Which will be the direction of the new head office ?

The good part JEEP will survive for the moment.

The bad part, this is a foreign company with foreign preoccupation.

We will see what the futur will reserve us. :popcorn:

From what I've heard, they are interested in chryco's van and suv line. Fiat doesn't have much of a stronghold in that market overseas, so it was rumored they are going to take the vans/suvs back home, and give us some more econimic cars on our end. I think this will be a great thing. Jeep is probably very desireable for them. Fiat came back from the verge of bankrupcy, and now they know the game, and will bring us back to the top.

Rob L. :thumbsup:

Daimler sold Chrysler to Cerberus a couple years ago. I guess Cerberus is scr3wed.

Cerebus Capital took a beating on the deal. But this is the gamble they take. Sometimes they hit it big.. Other times not so...

This is the third time a foreign auto company had a major interest in Jeep. Didnt really work out to well for Renault or Diamler.. Will Fiat do any better?? Time will tell.....

Supposedly, Fiat coveted the Ram Pick-ups, the Caravan line and Jeep. Look for them to jettison everything else.

I also think its great because oversea's they already embrace diesels, and economic "smart" cars. The US compainies dug their own graves. They kept building suv's and pickups and concentrating on those, while letting the small car shi+box market be owned by the forigners. When gas prices jumped, everyone traded in the suvs/truck for shi+boxes. Who had them? Forign automakers. I think there is nothing but good things to come from Fiat. Maybe some viable economic cars, diesel offerings, all good things. And the fact that they love the SUV's can mean nothing but good things for jeep.

Rob L.

It will all be made in China before it's over. :redX:

It could go two different ways, at least as I see it. They will be made where labour is incredibly cheap (China and India are the strongholds for that right now), OR they will be made in fully automated facilities.

Same goes for just about ANY assembly line job. And the western world was/is stupid to not see it.

Hence, I work in an occupation which is probably impossible to be replaced by automation (if automation gets that far, nobody will have jobs anyways), and very unlikely that it could ever be done effectively overseas (again, if it comes to that, well I'll cross that bridge when I get there).

Oh, and, I'd almost say I feel sorry for Fiat for acquiring Chrysler. Maybe they can turn it around if they're selective enough about what they produce. But, they might have a tough time if they wind up competing with GM who WILL be on the bailout bankroll from now on :shake:

Products planned by the new Fiat-led Chrysler

By The Associated Press – 20 hours ago

New products from Chrysler in 2010:

_ Redesigned, lighter and more fuel-efficient Jeep Grand Cherokee sport utility vehicle.

_ Reworked Chrysler 300C large sedan, which had been a top seller for the company until it was caught and passed by newer vehicles from other automakers. Has a sleeker look, more luxurious interior.

_ New Dodge Durango full-size SUV to be made on the same platform as the new Grand Cherokee.

_ New rechargeable electric vehicle — either a minivan, a sports car or one of two Jeep models — that can go 40 miles on electricity before being recharged. It will have a small conventional engine to generate electricity and keep it running past 40 miles.

Fiat SpA products likely to be sold in the United States:

_ The Fiat 500, an iconic European minicar, to be built in the U.S. starting in late 2010.

_ Fiat-designed compact and midsize cars, including hatchbacks. No time frame specified.

_ Relaunch of the sporty Alfa Romeo brand in North America. The new Alfa 149 midsize five-door hatchback, to be unveiled next year, would be built in North America.

_ Fiat engines and transmissions for a variety of Chrysler applications, including small gasoline, diesel, natural gas and ethanol engines. No time frame specified.

Products planned by the new Fiat-led Chrysler

By The Associated Press – 20 hours ago

New products from Chrysler in 2010:

_ Redesigned, lighter and more fuel-efficient Jeep Grand Cherokee sport utility vehicle.

_ Reworked Chrysler 300C large sedan, which had been a top seller for the company until it was caught and passed by newer vehicles from other automakers. Has a sleeker look, more luxurious interior.

_ New Dodge Durango full-size SUV to be made on the same platform as the new Grand Cherokee.

_ New rechargeable electric vehicle — either a minivan, a sports car or one of two Jeep models — that can go 40 miles on electricity before being recharged. It will have a small conventional engine to generate electricity and keep it running past 40 miles.

Fiat SpA products likely to be sold in the United States:

_ The Fiat 500, an iconic European minicar, to be built in the U.S. starting in late 2010.

_ Fiat-designed compact and midsize cars, including hatchbacks. No time frame specified.

_ Relaunch of the sporty Alfa Romeo brand in North America. The new Alfa 149 midsize five-door hatchback, to be unveiled next year, would be built in North America.

_ Fiat engines and transmissions for a variety of Chrysler applications, including small gasoline, diesel, natural gas and ethanol engines. No time frame specified.

Great, Keep the Jeep name and kill the wrangler (I am assuming this since I do not see it on the list). With Hummer sold off to a Chinese company, and G.M. also BK I can't imagine Ford wanting to buy the rights to the Jeep Wrangler.

In the factory circulated magazine thats distributed at the dealers, there are rumblings of an electric Wrangler, which is one of the two Jeep electric models they are talking about. And Fiat won't kill the Wrangler... its too valuable of an asset, seeing as its now being sold to militarys around the world again, and what is the Jeep company without its Iconic Wrangler? I hope our dealer gets some of the new Fiat 500's! If its as good as they say it is, that may be the replacement for my Hyundai Accent.

Just to be clear on this; FIAT only has a 20% share of Chrysler right now, they do not "own" Chrysler. They can not even hope to gain controlling interest in Chrysler until all of the government loans are repaid.

The local Jeep dealers have NO NEW JEEPS on the lots. Three days ago there were around 15JK's and some of the others. These are also all loosing their Jeep dealership. Sad news. No more Jeep Jamboree every year that had been a huge event since the early 80's. Nearest dealer is at least an hours drive.

At this point I do not have much attachment to what happens to the Jeep vehicles. After all, I have the two Jeeps I need... and they don't even produce parts of the MJ any more. The future will be interesting that is for sure. Lets just hold on to our hats and hope for the best.