I'm building another trailer.....

CWLONGSHOT

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man that trailer looks great. them are some nice lookin welds wish i could weld that good. and what kind of welder are you using

THANKS again guys!!! I really appreciate the compliments!!

I have two welders, 99% was from my Hobart 140 mig with .035 flux core wire. I finished it up with .030 solid core wire.

CW

Yesterday I picked up a 6X8 canvas tarp and some HD 5000lb rated pull tabs.

I need to figure out some "bows" to keep water from pooling on top of the tarp. Also need some more bungies of the correct lengths for firm support.

CW

• 5 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but I see CW lives somewhat near me as I live in Central CT as well ( Near Lake Pocotopaug without giving out too much personal info)

That trailer is a real nice piece of work. My friend has 3 of those rims sitting next to his abandoned boat as well. I never knew what they fit but if they are Jeep rims I'm gonna go on the hunt for the 4th!. My XJ is in dire need of a new set to replace the beat set on it now.

It would be great to meet another local MJ owner so if your up for it drop me a line sometime. My MJ is awaiting some sheet metal for a new floor as my budget allows but hopefully this summer she will be on the road and hopefully soon she will be converted to 4WD with a 4.0 and AX-15.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy neighbor! Sorry I missed your post?? Wallingford area here!!

I got the 33" mounted up today. I put them on but the fenders aren't going to work as they are...

I also scored a BRAND NEW 3500lb axle, springs, hanger kit, 10" electric brakes and hubs... 50$!!! :brows: :eek: :brows: :eek: SO, its going under the knife so to speak... Getting the new axle that's also wider by almost 7". If you remember I am running 2.5" spacers on this axle to get 61" WMS. The new axle should be just shy of 63" WMS/WMS. Another NICE addition, I will no longer need the spacers!!!

I am going to look into mounting a shortened fender to the axle, so I can keep it tite to the tire, and never worry about contact. Then add flaps out back for safety.

Stay tuned...the trailer is getting modded!!

CW

Thanks guys!!

I spent about 4-5 hours last night and all I got was a bloody forehead! I have been chasing an electrical gremlin. the pass side stop lite doesn't work....

Tonight I decided even rhos everything was new last year, I would buy all new and re-install the lites and wiring. After I got everything pulled out I discovered the problem. Inside the tongue, where the bolt passes thru to stop the bed from swinging up. It must have nicked the wires and eventually cut the wire to the stop lite and damaged the one for the marker lites.

Now I have a brandy new set of LED lites and they work perfectly!!

Then my 3500Lb hubs arrived from Northern Hydraulics!!

I had to throw back on the fenders and chop off the front edge for clearance. I will remove and re-install with the new axle later on. I have a "favor" to do with the trailer Sunday and don't need to get pinched for running without fenders.

Just a bit "hack" but legal. . .

CW

Is there a reason behind the fact that you have your shackle pointing forward instead of towards the rear? Seems like under a lot of weight your spring would possibly go opposite of what I "think" it should depending on where the weight was.

I am ignorant and know nothing of trailer suspension setup; so I apologize in advance. Just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Its all in the build. (3/4 of the way down page 4)

Short story. I used XJ leafs, the flex quite well and if I set them up as you would expect the shackle to be, it will snap over with as little as 4-5hundred pounds in the bed. This was I get over 1300lbs before it begins to get where you would expect it to be.

The trailer is very light, Trailer springs are very stiff. Not so with the XJ leafs. I haven't had any issues with them snapping open, they don't get any shorter, but extend quite a bit when weight is added. I really need a longer shackle, but don't want it any higher....

CW

Today I added a Cooler basket/rack to the front of the trailer. I bought this for the TJ couple years back and didn't really like it as it sat so high it wasn't really useful. I used most of what came with the rack, only cutting down the gate mounts to 5" "pins". I welded these to the base of the front of the trailer so I can remove the rack should I not need it.

Image Not Found

I marked out the rail for pin position and clamped them in. Then i checked level and plum before tacking them in place.

Then I dropped it in place to see how it sat.

I would have liked to drop it down a couple inches over the tongue. But the way the front supports are bent, I couldnt get it lo enough. half way down didn't make any appreciable difference, So I left it full length. This almost perfectly lined it up with the top of the box and looks good and will be lo enough to use the coolers if left in place.

I like how it came out!

Next is a brace for the canoe racks!! the front is simple Simon. Just a "T" but the rear is going to come out of the receiver, rearward with a cradle for the seat of the canoe. So it will always be loaded the came. won't be able to shift front to back and should be safe.

CW

OK, I decided to lower the basket as much as possible. I was only able to get 4.5" but it does look better and makes it a bit easier to access the cooler.

Then I want to balance the tires as I got some vibes when I used it over the weekend. I know most people never balance trailer tires, but if it makes it better, its a small price to pay. I also need to play with air pressure as the tires are rated for 2500+ lbs each, so with little to no weight in the trailer its rolling on about 2" of the center of the tread. I dropped the pressure to 20lbs and we will see what that does...

Then with the tires off, it was a good time to toss in the new axle! That was a snap. Only issue was the perches where about a half inch wider on the 3500K... I didn't think it was enough to worry about for a trailer so I just pulled the springs and put it in. It works out to a quarter inch each side. Looks fine.

Old and new. (Old has the spacers on.)

Also the new axle is just under a half inch wider than the older axle.

CW

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the trailer allot in the past two weeks... Mostly because its on the MJ daily... Anyway, I need a place to keep ratchet straps, tie downs and the like. I have a bunch of 50cal ammo cans, but just don't like the mounting options, I had a 12x8x16" box bolted in the back of my TJ for many years. It was nice for anything that needed locked safely and securely. Well, it came out last year and its been kicking around the garage. Today it got a new home... the trailers left side!

I welded in a 12" piece of 1/8" x 2.5" angle iron to the side of the frame for the box to sit on.

Then a 1.25" X 3/16" steel welded from the front upright to the next one back, 26" away.

I drilled and bolted the box with 3/8 bolts and nylock nuts. Finally I put a weld on the threads to secure the box. I could cut it off if needed. I was going to weld it on, but decided against it at the last minute.

Then my last tidbit of security before adding the pad lock:

CW

love the sticker... where did u get it? jamminz.gif

I don't remember!! :( :( :( I have been looking for more for some time!! I'm looking right now!!

I THINK it was in a parts store called pep boys, but cannot be certain.

If anyone else has seen them PLEASE let us know!! If I find some, I'll let you know.

CW

love the sticker... where did u get it? jamminz.gif

I don't remember!! :( :( :( I have been looking for more for some time!! I'm looking right now!!

I THINK it was in a parts store called pep boys, but cannot be certain.

If anyone else has seen them PLEASE let us know!! If I find some, I'll let you know.

CW

Theres an army surplus store near here that I bet would have them. I havent been there in a while though. Ill try to check next time I'm through.

Took the trailer out Saturday AM for a six hour round trip drive to my place in upstate New York. We used pops WJ, so had to flop a 6" drop hitch to a "rise" hitch just to level it out!! :roll: Damn lo riders... It was loaded up with about 800 lbs of "junk". It took the trip like a trooper. I tightened the bearing nuts just a bit and greased it up upon our return. Otherwise, it was perfect.

I also had a chance to make the gate chains today. I want to be able to use the gate as a shelf, should I need it. I took some HD chain and cut out two links. Then flattened one side on each so that it angled out toward the other end of the chain. Then welded them on.

Then cut a lighter piece of chain, a bit longer than needed and welded that to the top/end of the box. I was going to weld a second set of link then attach the chain between, but at the last moment decided to just weld the end link instead. I figured that I could always cut/grind it off if I don't like it after some use. I still need to pick up a set of "S" hooks and cut the rubber to go over the chain.

Then I bent up a piece of 3/16X1" flat stock to mirror what I did on the MJ's hitch. This one is more for reinforcement than a safety chain mount. I welded it in the same.

CW