my mj project. current name "project over"

are the TRE's any stronger than stock and does the tie connect both knuckles or is it like stock

Yes the TRE's are stronger and the tie does connect to both knuckles

Lostissues....sorry bro i'm bored so i decided to answer for you :cheers:

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you look like you're having as much fun with your 'manche, as I am with mine....aint rust grand? BTW, those rockers "rock"! jamminz.gif I share your "PO pain" I found some interesting stuff too....I'm eventually gonna post some stuff, just need to snap some photos and make some more (always more 8) ) parts lists....

Man, you look like you're having as much fun with your 'manche, as I am with mine....aint rust grand? BTW, those rockers "rock"! jamminz.gif I share your "PO pain" I found some interesting stuff too....I'm eventually gonna post some stuff, just need to snap some photos and make some more (always more 8) ) parts lists....

Talking about PO messes,, I found a thing of weed and a pipe under my console... :roll:

No rust but I think the bed is full of filler,, which is going to suck to grind out and pull the dents out,, I can't stand when someone just spreads bondo instead of pulling dents..

• 2 months later...

well not much to update here, I'm very, very, very slow at getting anything done.

recently I have fixed my sticky throttle by adding a spring to help return the throttle back to idle.

also a little while ago I ended up getting a new battery for my car because it had a warranty on it and it ended up leaking acid into the top of the case and created a path from the negative terminal to the positive terminal and that ended up draining my battery after a day of sitting. but instead of using that battery I opted (he he) to buy an optima yellow top for my car instead. so I planned on throwing the new battery i had into my MJ well the terminals are reversed and I couldn't get it to fit without pulling on the cables so i said what better time to replace the battery cables. so i did that:

Made them out of 4 gauge car audio amp power wire I also made another on from the alternator to the power junction point right near the battery.

I put battery terminals i had kicking around on the end (pic is kinda dark):

And then I pulled out all the old cables and reattached the new ones and it was pretty easy. then i threw in the battery and it started right up. time to close the hood... crap I knew that battery looked a little taller then the other, luckily the connectors had a cover over them. so now I'm going to go and get the correct size battery.

OK so since I'm always thinking about the future like how i have had a radio, rear speakers and 2 sets of front speakers (one for half doors I kinda have started) for a few years now. well here is something else that i plan on throwing in my truck when its all set. can anyone think of what i might use these for? (hopefully you can see it enough to make out what they are)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got a little something done today, here it is:

half assed pulled the fender back out to where it is supposed to be (thats why it looks all crappy and dented) and then put on some rear TJ flairs. all in all I like the look and it opened up the wheel well a little. here are some more pics:

I have another set of rear flairs off a TJ that you can see in the last pic, I plan on using those on the rears.

taking off the front header was a little bit of a pain and its all cracked up and busted, so I'm thinking i may have to upgrade to the 97+ front clip. for those of you that have done it what was the final bill (just the header no fenders)? and where did you get the parts from?

Jonathan

i really like your build! may i ask how much lift you have with the 33's? and what tires are they? I'm planning my build soon, and want to do a 4.5" lift with 33's but don't want it to rub.

Thank you,

I'm really not sure exactly how much lift is in there, I bought it with it already installed. the tires are I believe BF Goodrich Mud terrains.

Jonathan

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Any progress on this since July?

didn't even see your post, sorry for ignoring you.

well a lot has changed since the last time I updated, once everything Is all finished I will post up pics and tell everything that has been done.

for now here are a couple quick crappy pics of my almost completed half doors (the grey spots are because I had to play with the lighting in photoshop because the pics were to dark to see anything)

Hopefully I will be able to put up a big update this month sometime.

• 2 months later...

OK so this is the update so far:

OK what has happened so far:

brought to local shop to have work done, dropped it off and said whenever you get to it.

the installed my D44 rear spring over with a new/used leaf pack, new shocks in the rear and adjusted the e-brake.

I had a list of other things for them to take a look. I had dropped it off after I lost my job at Circuit City when they went bankrupt, with the free time I have had I have been helping a friend build up his off road shop. we built a nice 2 bay garage in addition to his smaller 2 bay garage already there, we built it from the foundation up, if anyone is interested and in the area you can check them out at http://www.Kensoffroad.com so I had the shop stop working on my truck and had it towed up to their shop. after a while we got to work on it. I ended up getting new components for the front lift it is a 6 inch rough country lift. while there I also got it re-geared to 4.56 with a lock-rite in the rear. and the picture above is how it has been sitting.

we did a little wheeling:

played in the mud

at the end of the day I had overheated and broke my lower track bar mount.

so it sat for a few days till I was able to get the new track on. when recovering the track bar decided to bend itself under the axle. the piece that broke off was a track bar drop bracket that the PO had put on and I stupidly used :doh: :wall: so I figured just bolt it to the stock place and be done. well not so much, the back side of the lower track bar mount had a crack in it and the whole thing had been bent down so we heated it up and bent it back and then welded the crack and got it back on. we did a little Wheeling and I still overheated so i will have to order an aux fan for it (newer 10 blade electric fan) and hope that helps. down the line I will get a new radiator and get rid of the closed system.

the tires I had on them were 33/12.5/15 BFG MT and they were dry rotted and the valve stems had rotted away so the didn't like to hold air so now I have these:

Interco 36/12.5/15 TSL Super Swampers jamminz.gif Just have to do a little more trimming so they don't rub.

so that is how it sits now. all I should have to do is get a new windshield on it, fix the wipers and get the bumper (from :fs1: Nates4X4 :fs1: NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM HIM! once i get all my issues with him resolved I will put up a detailed explanation of why I now hate him so much, for now if you think you may get something from him please ask me and I will tell you why I suggest taking your business elsewhere.) anyway once i get all that it should be inspectable and I should be able to drive it! jamminz.gif and break it :redX: and then fix :wrench: it and then drive it some more comanche.gif .

• 1 month later...

update: windshield fixed, wipers kinda work, inspected, bumper on, 97+ front clip and 97+ power heated mirrors attached (not wired up yet)

next steps will be bed bob, swap in ax15 and new transfer case and maybe a paint job.

• 5 months later...

OK things not updated that I still need to do: tranny/transfer case swap, still need to bob the bed and paint it.

here is what has changed though:

auxiliary fuse panels:

inside the cab switched with accessory power

under hood constant power

pillaged half of a 97+ relay center (ghetto but it works)

bussman PRM. power split and fused with a relay on one side neat little thing

auto dimming rear view with compass and LED map lights (score from the junkyard) wired into switched fuse panel

Fan switch wired through a relay with power from the constant fuse panel

light switches

pilot hole

will continue in the next post because the thing keeps freaking out and scrolling up so i cannot see what I'm typing :fs1:

Rivnut/Blind rivet whatever you want to call it. I put 6 of those in

they are to hold this on:

hood is open cause I had the wires straight to the battery because I didn't have a hole saw for the grommet to get the wiring through the roof.

night shot from the front, yea ball of light

they light up a lot more then the pic shows

they did not quite fit on the subi

and I also picked this up form a guy on my local off road forum

it will be a camping trailer for when I go up to truck shows with a friend who owns an off road shop.

now all I need to get it running right again (hesitates under while going uphill) and then get it inspected.

• 6 months later...

What front bumper is that?

If you want a cool swamper the same height, check out the Q78. It's slightly narrower, the same height, and has a deeper tread. More bang for your buck.

Thanks for posting all the pics, got a '97+ front clip here to add to my '89 black MJ.

• 8 months later...

Awesome project! I'm think about do those aux fuse panels. Is it easy?

Keep it up man and don't give up!

Btw awesome 2.5RS! Is it 01? I'm myself a loyal to Subaru and I have 07 2.5i auto with little modification. Soon it gonna handling better than STi... :brows:

• 2 months later...
Awesome project! I'm think about do those aux fuse panels. Is it easy?

Keep it up man and don't give up!

Btw awesome 2.5RS! Is it 01? I'm myself a loyal to Subaru and I have 07 2.5i auto with little modification. Soon it gonna handling better than STi... :brows:

Thanks,

sorry I didn't notice this till now.

the fuse panels were pretty easy for me but I did car electronics install for a few years so I know my way around that kind of stuff.

this winters plans should keep me busy and transform the Manche a bit.

its an 03, I don't think I will DD anything other then a Subaru from here on out. next one will have to be a WRX, the RS is nice but it has no balls, and an STI would be a ticket on wheels for me.

• 11 months later...

project name updated to "project over". I am not giving up on this I am just temporarily renaming it due to the fact that it is over budget, over schedule, overkill for the type of wheeling that will be done now, and it is all overwhelming at the moment.

last year I went wheeling once, broke off the newly relocated rear shock mounts and then only drove it a few times. then the slave cylinder went out again ($*@*# ba10) anyway. pulled out the interior, started pulling the engine, and started striping my 98 Cherokee (needs new head) in preparation for the 98 swap.

Mostly I have been collecting parts such as: RCI 19 gallon fuel cell and aluminium 97+ Cherokee fuel cell ring. Wagoneer D44 front and rear with ARB locker and ARB compressor (still has Wagoneer mounts). 2 OX lockers, Built Wagoneer D44 front and rear with 5.13 gears, spools, chromoly shafts up front, HD steering, half diff cover, all set up for a TJ and a small Viair system.

so the plans are: 98 swap with a new head using the fuel cell to solve the sender issues, custom utility bed with a compartment at the front to house the fuel cell and Viair (separate compartments) and space for storage. Put the OX lockers in the built D44s replacing the spools. Either cut off the rear coil mounts and put on leaf spring mounts or convert the rear to coils (brother in laws idea I am not completely sold on it). Sell D44s I am not using with the spools and sell the ARB stuff to try and recoup some money.

Hopefully I can actually get this done, it is getting quite discouraging just looking at the truck and not being able to drive it. Everyone I go wheeling with has already built up and sold several rigs all progressively bigger (encouraging me to also go bigger along the way) and now they either don't have anything or have gone with a smaller lift tire combo and don't plan on up sizing at all. leaving me with a rig that will probably be overkill and will probably take the fun out of wheeling. But I am to far into this to give up now.

stay tuned for updates (hopefully)