my mj project. current name "project over"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the rockers are nice, unfortunatly i cannot take credit for them, i had them done at a local garage. he did a great job fixing a bunch of things, and for a good price. i wish i had enough fab skills to do anything remotely like that.

Jonathan

so one of my coworkers was going to a Junk Yard today to find parts for a bike he is building, he asks if i need anything, i ask him to check and see if there are any cherokee 97 and up with a full front clip, cause mine is a little busted up so i mine as well do the swap. and as usual if he see a manche let me know, so he call me and says they have a manche, so i asked him what was on it and about the tailgate, cause mine has a good size dent in the top and it doesnt really open correctly, so the one he was looking at has a couple small dents, but it opens real nice, so he gets back and shows me his loot. then he says got a suprise, i got you the tailgate, got it for 25 bucks. only thing is its now at my work cause i can't get it home, no room in my car, too much loud stuff in the trunk.

so here it is, stranded at work. :cry:

i cannot help but think how much easier it would be to fix up my truck if i had a truck to lug stuff around. i cannot fit 4 33's in the back of my car or a tailgate, or anything good sized.

also, just curious, how much do you guys get your tires mounted and ballanced for? size are 33.

Jonathan

The last time I had to get tires that big balanced I had purchased the rims at Belle Tire and the mounting/balancing was free. :D I know, I know, that's really not all that helpful, but I also know that mounting and balancing is generally $15 each at Belle Tire.

wow, i asked a local used auto place that sells a lot of lifted jeeps and stuff, they said first 15 a tire, then 20, my brother in law works at sears and they said 30 per tire, then the guy i work with, that picked up the tailgate for me also works at a local garage and he said they could do all 4 for 40 bucks. I'm just trying to get an idea on prices and who is trying to screw me.

Jonathan

I won't get into a WalMart debate, but the last time I had them deal with my tires, I was not happy. They charged me for new valve stems but didn't replace them (I had nice steel ones, but wanted rubber so I could use the steel ones for my Jeep), and while they were mounting them, from the lobby I heard loud banging. My "rim was bent," and they were "trying to fix it," with a sledge hammer.

Think it was about $10 a tire though.

ok, got the tires mounted, thing is they couldnt balance them. they suggested what i think was the BB thing, they said they sell them in a bag and you throw it in and it bursts and then they self ballance.

anyone running this? Pros and Cons? any other suggestions? how do they get installed? how hard is it to install?

thanks.

Jonathan

I'm running the equal in the 37" tires on my Ram which is more or less the same . Haven't had a problem and the ride just fine. I believe there is a chart as to how much should be added depending on the tire size.

do the airsoft balancing. but don't throw a bag in the tire. just put the specified ammount in for your tire size (theyre is a chart i just havent saved the link for it yet). you can use a peice of hose to put them in the tire once you break the bead (it just makes it easier). then fill it back up and your good to go.

i have that with my hawgs and they only start taking effect around 25mph wich works just fine.

what do they do, just balance out at rotating speeds?

centrifugal force moves them out to the lowest spot/spot that needs more weight. pretty brilliant idea. i've heard good things about them over on NAXJA

the person who mounted them said that i can find them at a local tire place, forgot exactly where he said, i wonder if its the same as the airsoft bbs. anyone have that chart? does it say specific brand/weight/size bb?

Thanks

Jonathan

There's no magic to how they work. You can use LOTS of things. Sand, water, anti-freeze, marbles (uh), BBs, airsoft balls, golf balls (doesn't work as well).

Personally I use BBs. Cheap, avaliable, good weighting and work well.

And you can fudge the amount by a fair factor, just remember 'some is good, more is better'. I seem to recall I used about 8 ounces for 35s. I didn't bother to balance the MT/Rs but I should do it if I remember sometime.

ok, so i finaly got my tires mounted, i installed the airsoft bbs in and hopefully it will work :bowdown:

this is the link to the post where i talk about and do it:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4616

here are pics of the tires installed.

here is one with the half door

here is one of my old tire, i plan on using it as a spare :brows:

there were only 3 casualtys in the ordeal: one blister, i was an idiot and put 2 of the valve stem covers on the bumper :oops: they disapered when i went for a ride but i did find one, then there was my pressure gauge i think that fell on the way out and was finished off uppon my return.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

the other day we ground off what remained from the PO welding on the old sway bar brackets and started drilling the new holes for the sway bar bracket, we got through 2 with a piolet hole and one with a bigger bit, then the bigger bit went all dull on us so it wasnt doing anything, so we said screw it lets park on a rock again. oppisite of this---> jamminz.gif (rock on)

poser pics:

then yesterday, i went and got a tap set, some more drill bits, and some bolts, after i got them i said "damn thems some big bolts" so after my dentist appt today, i went the the clostest hardware store and got some more drill bits and bolts and then started.

drilling into metal upside down it stoopid, hot metal showers anyone? solved by jumpsuit and gloves. drilled all the holes and then tapped them, they didnt some out perfectly straight but whatever.

Now all i have to do is remove the old sway bar arms, the lower portion, the part the PO cut and left for me.

put some pb blaster on it and now i need my brother in laws impact gun, is there any trick to getting these off? or is it straight forward, with the wrench and pushing, and all that fun stuff.

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

ok, its been a little while but i did make a little progress, i got a new throttle body off a friend and put it in, that fixed the ghetto return spring that made for a hard accelerator. i got the quick disconnects on. (i don't have any pics of these). i got bored and sanded and rattle canned the doors and other stuff that wasnt black, you know that rust colored stuff all over the place :oops: .

today the long awated stearing parts came in.

jacked up and the tires off.

ok jacked up old stuff off, now is the time not to move stuff, to keep it in alignment... oh @#$%... that looks straight right? :oops:

back together almost. got interupted by dinner and will finish another day.

well the main parts on on, i still need to attach the stearing dampiner hardware.

now as you can guess when we put it on we did a crappy job of not moving stuff to keep the alignment as dead on as possible. so now its kinda an eyeball thing. so my question which i will also post in the tech section is does anyone know of a way to do a diy alignment, step by step (ooo baby) instructions or a site that has them. I'm not looking to do this and leave it. i want to get it good enough to drive it somewhere that someone who isnt an idiot :D do it for me.

also, what does an alignment cost usualy?

thanks,

Jonathan

alignments usually run like 60 bucks, is that steering kit bolt on or does it have to be reamed.

It was bolt on. it was extremely easy to set up, and we're retarted most the time. we deff. messed up the alignment though.

i think you may have ment to start a new thread, you can use a site like picturetrail.com to host pics, as for parts, it depends on what you are looking for, try posting in the classified sections someone may have extra parts, or you can keep your eyes open for a parts truck also raid the local junk yards. best of luck with your project.

Jonathan

lol, I talked to her. she's nice.

I really like how your truck is coming along btw. it impresses me alot....the black on the doors looks good but are you gonna make a spare set of half doors or anything?

thank you, it looks a little less... well crappy with the black doors. i do have the other set and i have them cut down, if you go back a few pages you can see the ones that i made. i just have to weld them together and do a few finishing things, then i will be able to rock the half doors.

Jonathan

alignments usually run like 60 bucks, is that steering kit bolt on or does it have to be reamed.

Ha Ha "reamed" :D

no its bolt on like jackel said, even with the messing up the alignment this my be the smoothest mod that i have done so far. other then fixing the shift knob that kept pulling off (pull of knob remove screw-on spacer, screw knob back on, stoopid PO :D )

Ha Ha "reamed" :D

no its bolt on like jackel said, even with the messing up the alignment this my be the smoothest mod that i have done so far. other then fixing the shift knob that kept pulling off (pull of knob remove screw-on spacer, screw knob back on, stoopid PO :D )

are the TRE's any stronger than stock and does the tie connect both knuckles or is it like stock