Airsoft BB questions

i plan on doing the airsoft bb deal to ballance my tires. i went to Dicks and bought a container

(picture from http://www.airgunexpress.com)

there are 10,000 .12 gram BB's. if my math is correct for the suggested 8 ounces in each tire (33's, 12.5) that would be about 1800 BB's per tire, to me that sounds like a lot. i think that i remember seeing some .4 gram BB's would those be better? that would be about 567 BB's per tire. i know CW is/was running BB, anyone else running them? what did you use?

Thanks,

Jonathan

the place where i got my tires mounted said they couldnt ballance them, the guy suggested a bag of bb like items that you could get at a local tire store i think they are these dyno beads by innovative balancing

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

here is an artical about using airsoft BB's as well as a chart with how much per tire

http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=18

Jonathan

Airsoft BBs sound like a bit more work than you may want to deal with. Buy an airsoft gun and play airsoft with those. Its a blast! I play as often as I can :cheers:

It actually works really well for tire balancing, especially if you think to do it when you're getting the tires mounted :roll:

It worked OK...

I finally removed mine. I had the tire guy use the stick on weights and put them on the inside of the rim. Not inside the tire, just inside side of the rim where they are better protected.

this dosent help you if you spin a tire on the bead, but they won't get ripped off by the rocks.

I found a much better option. Its called www.centramatic.com, I have them on my TJ and I LOVE THEM!!! Cost me about $200, but when I added up all the costs i incured reballanceing tires after wgheeling...i actually SAVED MONEY!!! They mount between the rim and the hub/rotor/drum. They are filled with a silica sand.

CW

i went back to dicks today and exchanged the bbs i got for another kind

(picture from www.airgunexpress.com)

These are .2 grams each, so it should require less per tire and i think that will be better cause they can only lay out in one layer on the inside of the tire, so this will enable more weight to be distributed in a smaller area.

with math, i hate math, but with it I'm getting that i have to put 1134 in each tire, still a lot but better then the 1900 i had before.

i think I'm going to install them tomorrow if i get a chance, so if anyone has any objections or suggestions pipe in now.

Jonathan

so so tonight i decided to count out the bbs into 4 sets of 1134 bbs one set for each tire, this is them sorted out in random glasses i have in my room, i don't drink that much but i do have drinking glasses, whatever I'm wierd.

ok, i needed 8 ounces of bbs for each tire, simple, weigh out 8 ounces on a scale, done... well i don't know any drug dealers off hand :chillin: and i usualy just guess when I'm cutting my own :D (just to clarify I'm kidding).

so i didnt have a scale so i had to find another way to count them out...

ok i would like to put this warning in just in case, this is not a task for the faint of heart... or people that have a life... or a girlfriend... basicaly you have to be a complete loser sitting at home watching reruns of futurama and family guy in order to go about this the way i did. ok here it is:

4...... :mad:

no, just kidding

here is what i found, i have this neat little box i found, it holds 10 rows of 36 bb.

so i did 3 sets of that, then a single row of 36, then add another 18 and i got...carry the one... square root...porkchop sandwich... i got 1134.

so i did that process 4 times and got them all sorted out. here is my math:

F- DID NOT SHOW WORK!!! JONATHAN PLEASE SEE ME AFTER CLASS :(

well this is what i had remaining:

not much left, and a cracker jack prize in the form of a random piece of plastic.

so hopefully i will get around to deflating the tires tomorrow and breaking the bead and putting these little buggers in.

i will not be able to drive it around to see if its working cause it isnt inspected/regestered but i will take it for a spin around my hill just to take it for a ride. once i get it all road worthy i will reply back on how the ride is. thanks for puttin up with my crap, I'm a little tired and I'm using that as an excuse.

Jonathan

BTW,

Your not going to notice any effects unless you get the vehicle up to at least 40mph.

Devide the remainder up between the four just for good measure, its not going to hurt a thing!! I started with 8 and had to go to 10 in one tire.... The 8oz is just a starting point.

CW

I did the dyna bead approach in my TJ. I really don't think it did anything for me but make me feel like I did something. I have 33" MTZs on Alum rims. So I installed 8oz in each. Later took off my lead weights which made the ride unbearable above 40mph. So I added another 4 oz in each and there was no difference.

I got them removed and went back to lead weights, IMHO ... lead weights are a lot better. But maybe I'm the exception. I did succeed in wasting 120 bucks though. :roll:

Big advantage to the dyna beads over air soft bbs is that installation can be done throught he valve stem.

today i installed the bbs in my tires, first thing i did was deflate the tire, i didnt have one i could just put on, i had to hold it on, that takes a long time, so i found this ultra high tech device:

once the air was out, i had to break the bead, now i hate bottle jacks, and i have a blister:

then i dumped the bbs in, ohhh ahhhh action shot!! :brows:

then i insalled the new tires.

then i decided to take it for a ride (on the way i lost 2 of the new valve stem covers i put on the bumper, found one, the other is mia :mad: )

i took it around my hill, wasnt able to get up to a good spead so i cannot tell if it worked, it did wobbel at one point, but it could be anything else with the truck. hopefully i will not have to do a wright up about how to remove airsoft bbs from a tire. :headpop:

Jonathan