preferred GPS?

JeepcoMJ

Alright, so what is your guys preferred gps? no polls here, just your input.

my first one was a Garmin...a cheapo. it worked OK at first, then it started having firmware issues and repetitivelyh repeating itself.

I replaced it with the next Garmin version up one up...that one was OK until it all of a sudden stopped getting signal. it would get no signal anywhere so I restored it to factory and it still wouldn't work. it ended up getting hurled out the window into a trash can (after I summarily beat it with a crescent wrench and took away any possibility of a dumpster diver getting any use of it). maybe a waste of money, but I was not impressed AT ALL being 0 for 2 with garmin.

My current one, even though I HATE the redundency of the name, is a TomTom...I forget which model a 340 or something. wide screen.

it seems the best so far, save that it doesn't give me direct address or phone number of anything that I search in points of interest. one thing I HAVE to do to it though is cover up the TomTom name...maybe this is OCD but the simple redundency of the name irks me to no end.

What do you guys run? pro's/cons? I'm thinking of replacing the latest one if I find one that has the superior search function of Garmin and the superior display options of the TomTom

I have a Garmin Etrex, the yellow base model.

First one I used for like 2 years. I then gave it to my girlfriend and bought another one (new version with WAAS capability) for $80. Still use it to this day, about 3 years so far.

For navigation I hook it up to my laptop. For geocaching it is held in my hand. In the car it runs off the car power, saves on batteries.

Odometer on it reads 24762.41 miles.

I'm flat broke, so my gps is mapquest and a laptop. And, don't have a printer, or a wireless card for that matter, so when I mapquest something, I bring it up on the screen and take the laptop with. Pretty long way to take a short cut, but hey, it works for me. :dunno:

My redneck gps. It even talks to me, but only if I bring the girlfriend to read it aloud. :yes:

Rob L.

instead of buying a GPS you could send me the money you owe me

jeepcoMJ

oh, oh. someones got some esplainin to do. :D i guess someone should menyion that, if you owe someone money (and who doesn't), don't ask them how to spend the money in your pocket. ;)

on the other hand, maybe he hasn't paid you because he can't find your house. maybe he should have gps!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I bought the wife a fancy TomTom about a year ago. I don't know the number either, IIRC I paid $400 for it. Its a wide screen as well. (Maybe same as yours) After the learning curve, I really like it and its options.

CW

I have a Garmin Etrex, the yellow base model.

First one I used for like 2 years. I then gave it to my girlfriend and bought another one (new version with WAAS capability) for $80. Still use it to this day, about 3 years so far.

For navigation I hook it up to my laptop. For geocaching it is held in my hand. In the car it runs off the car power, saves on batteries.

Odometer on it reads 24762.41 miles.

sounds like my setup.

i have a Garmin eTrex Legend Cs (the one with the color screen and micro sdhc memory slot).

when i first got it, i used only it for navigation:

IMG_1126.jpg

then i got a little ghetto. i wanted a little different setup. i had also installed a head unit that has bot a USB input as well as AUX input that i was piping my MP3's through. So I decided to just play the MP3's on my laptop and display the GPS data on the same 15" laptop. (this first aftermarket headunit had an aweful menu / mp3 navigation system so i preferred the multimedia keys on my laptop for that)

this was my first economical setup (cardboard wrapped in packaging tape for water proofing ;) :rotf: )

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

i then tried a less ghetto home-brew swivel mount for my laptop. but the laptop was just too big and blocked my view of the pass-side mirror so i never really used it.

IMG_0413.jpg

and here's what i'm using today: i made a new adjustable swivel mount and got a 9" netbook.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

and the passenger can use it w/out compromising much on space

IMG_1023.jpg

the wood top has since been replaced by one of those poly cutting boards. it's much thinner while still being just as strong (and looks better IMO) ;) oh, and that black stuff on the wood is some of that kitchen drawer non-skid stuff

i have a garmin nuvi 660, got it brand new... it's the only one ive ever used and ive had no problems with it... it even survived an accident in a rainstorm where it got thrown out the window! some jackhole tboned me and spun me around, and i found it hanging out the p. side window hanging by the power cord after they cut me out of the car

My family has a tomtom. I don't remember the model number, but it's the one that goes on sale for $100 (normally 150?). It has a couple quirks, but so far I'm quite pleased with it. :thumbsup:

We have the Garmin Nuvi 200W and love it. It is updatable, and gives you notifications right on the screen when it's time to download an update. We have used it many times traveling short, as-well-as long trips, and have never been disappointed or mislead.

GPS? Who needs GPS? I'm a man, I don't need directions to ANYWHERE, I know where I'm going. Right? Isn't that what we all tell our wives? :yes:

My wife had to change the voice on ours from a female to a male so I would quit ignoring it missing the turns and arguing with it that I know a better way. :D

:cheers:

GPS? Who needs GPS? I'm a man, I don't need directions to ANYWHERE, I know where I'm going. Right? Isn't that what we all tell our wives? :yes:

My wife had to change the voice on ours from a female to a male so I would quit ignoring it missing the turns and arguing with it that I know a better way. :D

:cheers:

:jump:

Garmin Map60csx

Don't use it for directions - just logging trails (and as a speedometer since I guess I yanked the speedo cable on a stick). Has excellent reception, I use an external antenna anyways out of habit. 2GB MicroSD holds the topo for all of New England and probably more but that's all I have on it. Keeps 20 tracklogs which is better than my last Garmin (10) but I don't understand why they can't just give me 100 tracks or more, that's the only nitpick I have. Real nice unit, easy to use and works well.