Crankcase breather hose grommet

Hey All, I've been quite busy lately, things are coming together though and the '90 MJ is finally on the road (Update to the build thread is coming....)

What I'm talking about here is the large hose that goes from the top of the valve cover to the airbox on the Renix 4.0L engines.

I'm looking for a place online to buy this new rubber grommet thing. Both of my Renix 4.0L engines are in need of it, the one is so bad that I am losing ALOT of oil out of it and it keeps blowing out of its hole on the valve cover. I stopped by the dealership tonight and the parts guy gave me a $50 quote for this, gotta be off his rocker. :ack:

Whatcha got? :typing: Is it a junkyard only thing?

I think this is what you are looking for. You will have to reference the parts because this is the newer valve cover style. The parts guy will hopefully be able to direct you to the proper old AMC style cover grommets. This was very helpful for me so I saved it to my favorites.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/a ... ?id=257985

The link is for a fix-it kit for Mopar because the design was flawed to begin with. For crap sake, just put in a simple PCV valve like every other car out there!!!

Kevin

Yep, those are the parts I am looking for, still don't like the price of them though. All we are talking about here is plastic and rubber, not worth those prices to me. I might see what I can come up with, I'll keep you all informed.

Thanks!

The rear grommet is only sold with the 4762592 harness.

Retail is $16.50.

The front grommet is pt# 53004721.Retail is $5.70.

The rear grommet is 26 mm id.The front is 22 mm id.

Get 2,make the rear one a bit bigger inside.

Keep in mind that the front grommet (and line) is the intake line. If you have oil being pushed out the front and into the air cleaner (or all over the engine), that's an indication that the rear line is clogged and not functioning, or that the engine has excessive blow-by.

Keep in mind that the front grommet (and line) is the intake line. If you have oil being pushed out the front and into the air cleaner (or all over the engine), that's an indication that the rear line is clogged and not functioning, or that the engine has excessive blow-by.

I have the 2.5L with the exact same set up....Large ventilation hose in the front (rotted) and smaller hose in the rear. I have some oil comming out of both just never been able to find the replacement parts...

I know I have a ccv but have heard of people replacing that with a pcv from a cj5 i think. Does anybody know a good way to rig something up to avoid problems down the line?

Also, How would I unclog the rear line?

-Skip

:USAflag:

Keep in mind that the front grommet (and line) is the intake line. If you have oil being pushed out the front and into the air cleaner (or all over the engine), that's an indication that the rear line is clogged and not functioning, or that You have a 4.0.

Fixed :thumbsup:

If your truck is like mine, a new grommet won't fix anything. I eventually had to route the front "fresh air" tube into a plastic jug to catch the oil output. :(

I cleaned out my smaller tube with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Mine's pretty hack, but it works great. The hose goes from the valve cover to the top of the jog. Then a second hose goes from the jug to, um, somewhere else. I used to have a smaller container, but it filled too quickly on the freeway and by the time I got to colorado, I came up with the current configuration from the stuff I had on hand. If you've got any vehicular inspections in your area, you may need to be more discreet in your setup and definitely route the second hose to the airbox to keep all the fumes contained. I'm not the only one with a collection system like this. Others here have done it and some look way better than mine.

You got it Boss, Don't worry, I plan on doing something about this. ;)

Thanks for all the help Everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Can the rear line get clogged inside the valve cover? Or can I just remove the rear line and get a new one/clean it out?

Also, does the rear grommet just pull out of the hole? I have a feeling that it's going to rip the grommet once I try to pull it out.

If the rear CCV line is clear and functioning properly, and you are still getting blow-by into the air filter, does that necessarily indicate a serious issue?