personal antivirus

maddzz1

Anybody else get this virus? I opened a link on jeepforum to one of their sponsors sites and all the sudden i started getting these personal antivirus pop-ups. Apparently it is a virus that disguises itself to look like antivirus software. The worst part is my Norton Antivirus did nothing to stop it. After some research I bought a program called stopzilla to get rid of it. :headpop:

I run no antivirus whatsoever and haven't had any problems. Nowadays, running nothing keeps you off the virus radar.

As for your Norton... get rid of it. They used to be one of the best, now they're more trouble than they're worth. My mom had a 3 month trial, and once that was up it stopped letting her computer get on the internet unless she paid to re-subscribe(claimed a virus was doing it). I removed Norton, and all of a sudden it was fine.

yeahthat.gif

One kind of "Personal Anti virus"

:shake:

But.......Try this......Free 30 day trial :D

I've been running it for 3 years+ and it catches everything and deletes it.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_servi ... -virus.php

Pricey but with a discount on the annual renew.

It runs 24/7 in the back ground, updates every couple hours, and kills just about everything.

I run the new Norton 360 v3.0 on our laptop, but I do not use anything on my PC. My wife uses the laptop, and she is not real savvy about certain things, so I feel better having it protected. I have used Norton before and been very frustrated with how it slowed things down, among other issues, but this new v3.0 is quite good and has received some great ratings recently.

Kapersky is definitely a good one to use too...if you are going to use anti-virus.

I run nothing. That's right, nothing. I used to run ad-aware every once in a while, but it hasn't found anything in over a year. I run Firefox, keep up on security updates for it and windows, take care with where my browser travels (especially important with the less computer savvy family members), don't open strange emails (I pay for my hotmail which it has a built in scanner, not sure if that's available on the free versions), and I approve/deny cookies as each one comes up. Am I just lucky? :dunno: I'm not stupid though, I use an external harddrive to back up important stuff from the 'puter (including a folder dedicated to downloaded programs like firefox, filezilla and ACDSee). I have no fear of wiping the whole thing clean and starting fresh. :thumbsup:

My computer came to me with Norton and it was became a real pain once the subscription lapsed. :fs1:

Well, I am an IT guy. I would always recommend running an anti virus program. My preference has been Trend Micro. Symantec works good too but doesnt seem to catch half the stuff Trend does. Make sure it scans in realtime and also set it up to batch scan the whole system regularly. Also, run your windows update religiously. I can't overstate that.

As a safe backup plan, when you order a computer, always make sure it comes with restore CD's. Not the "partition" that Dell tries to sell you on but actual CD's that HP sends out (although I think some Dells sell them as an extra charge). Then if it screws up, slap the cd in and rebuild the computer. Once you get infected with a trojan, you can never be 100% sure you got it all.

I got hit with a virus at work on Tuesday and I run Trend and Symantec on different parts of my network. Neither one caught it and it wasnt that they were bad products. The virus version was that new. Both had it by morning. I was pretty alarmed. I was watching my event logs and this thing was trying to log into the network. Oh the horror. :ack:

By the way, I think Sir Sam is full of it with his recomendation. I tried that one and it got stuck in the cd drive. I don't think he knows what he is talking about. :yes:

By the way, I think Sir Sam is full of it with his recomendation. I tried that one and it got stuck in the cd drive. I don't think he knows what he is talking about. :yes:

Sounds painful :eek: :rotf:

Sounds painful :eek: :rotf:

Clearly he never paid attention in sex-ed in highschool.

I am not a techie at all, I can grasp it and labor through it when I need to do something, so I read all of the threads like this intently. That being said, I have read/heard Kapersky is one of the best. This may not be apples to apples of what we're talking about, but I run Zone Alarm Security Suite and have been very happy with it, especially the junk mail blocker. What are the opinions of you tech guys on this software?

I'm not sure personally. I know that my e-mail virus scanner at work that sits in the mail server has 4 or 5 virus engines it uses to check each mail message as they arrive. Kaspersky seems to get quite a bit of them. But that is e-mail. Quite different than getting a virus scanner for a desktop. So I plead ignorance. :clapping:

I'm not a tech guy by any means, and I don't play one on TV either :roll:

But........ a Tech told me about it when I had problems a few years ago, and it so easy to use, it runs all the time, and updates all the time, scans your system every couple hours, and does all this in the background, you don't do anything except denied or accept a new program down load, something you downloaded from a trusted site.

I would like to see what real the tech guys say about Kaspersky.

My computer got a "cryptor" virus out of the blue thursday night. I even lost my dsl connnection, as my modem is not displaying the "internet" light. My AVG picked it up, but couldnt get rid of it. Since I can't get online, I took it to a computer guy. I usually can figure out that kinda stuff, but that one had me stumped.

This is the Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 I have and is the best I have ever used. It comes with the licences and ability to install it on 3 computers.

It is way more then anti-virus protection.

Here's what I copied from their site. http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_internet_security

Protects from viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, adware

Scans files, email, and Internet traffic

Protects instant messengers

Protects from unknown threats

2-way Personal Firewall

Safe Wi-Fi and VPN Connections

Intrusion Prevention System

Configuration and Privacy Tools

Cleans traces of user activity

Application Filter: Access to user resources and data is restricted for risky applications

Vulnerability scanning for operating system and installed applications

Analyzes and closes Internet Explorer vulnerabilities

Disables links to malware sites / phishing sites

Global Threat Monitoring (Kaspersky Security Network)

Virtual keyboard for safe entry of personal data

Blocks all types of Keyloggers

Parental Controls

Anti-spam protection

Blocks unwanted web banners

Automatic database updates

Free technical support

Whitelisting

Certification: Functionality

Hourly updates and fastest response times ensure you benefit from the industry's most up-to-date protection.

New- Advanced anti-virus engine delivers the industry's fastest scan times (Passmark Security, June 2008). Saves time and improves performance.

New - Configuration and privacy tools are designed to help you protect yourself.

Intrusion Protection System and 2-way firewall protect you from hackers; protect your privacy.

Protects you from the phishing and malware sites that you wouldn't otherwise know were attempting to steal from you.

Parental controls filter, block, or report inappropriate content. Limit Internet time to hours and amounts that you set.

Kaspersky Security Network allows your computer to report when it discovers a threat that hasn't been seen before. All 250 million Kaspersky users benefit from our combined knowledge!

Protects from viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, adware

Scans files, email, and Internet traffic

Protects instant messengers

Protects from unknown threats

2-way Personal Firewall

Safe Wi-Fi and VPN Connections

Intrusion Prevention System

Configuration and Privacy Tools

Cleans traces of user activity

Application Filter: Access to user resources and data is restricted for risky applications

Vulnerability scanning for operating system and installed applications

Analyzes and closes Internet Explorer vulnerabilities

Disables links to malware sites / phishing sites

Global Threat Monitoring (Kaspersky Security Network)

Virtual keyboard for safe entry of personal data

Blocks all types of Keyloggers

Parental Controls

Anti-spam protection

Blocks unwanted web banners

Automatic database updates

Free technical support

Whitelisting

Certification: Functionality

Hourly updates and fastest response times ensure you benefit from the industry's most up-to-date protection.

New- Advanced anti-virus engine delivers the industry's fastest scan times (Passmark Security, June 2008). Saves time and improves performance.

New - Configuration and privacy tools are designed to help you protect yourself.

Intrusion Protection System and 2-way firewall protect you from hackers; protect your privacy.

Protects you from the phishing and malware sites that you wouldn't otherwise know were attempting to steal from you.

Parental controls filter, block, or report inappropriate content. Limit Internet time to hours and amounts that you set.

Kaspersky Security Network allows your computer to report when it discovers a threat that hasn't been seen before. All 250 million Kaspersky users benefit from our combined knowledge!

Premium Protection from Kaspersky Lab

"At Kaspersky Lab, we protect over 250 million systems worldwide. In 2007 we saw more malicious threats than in the previous 15 years combined. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 represents a breakthrough in the way we protect our customers with the strongest, most efficient anti-malware technology in the world. And we back this with the finest support team in the business. Trust Kaspersky Lab."

- Eugene Kaspersky

A New Generation of Threat Protection

Kaspersky's Internet Security lab has seen an unprecedented growth in cybercrime attacks. In 2007 alone we responded to more than 2 million new malicious threat samples - more than the prior 15 years combined. These attacks have become remarkably sophisticated, with cybercrimals finding new inventive ways to steal private information, personal identities and financial data.

A Smarter Approach to Security

Kaspersky Lab has raised the bar once again. Kaspersky® Internet Security 2009 offers a thoroughly new approach to keeping you safe. Along with new enhancements to our top-rated detection technology, we've added important new layers of security designed to provide the greatest possible protection. And we did it while making version 2009 up to 7 times faster. It's all about premium protection that lets you make the most of your computer's power.

Stop Cyber-Thieves from Stealing your Identity

A popular hacker tactic is to hide stealth programs called keyloggers that watch as you use your keyboard. With Kaspersky's on-screen Virtual Keyboard, cybercriminals can no longer steal your password, banking information or credit card numbers because mouse clicks cannot be recorded or traced.

Comprehensive protection, performance, and ease of use. We think you'll find an "apples to apples" comparison reveals Kaspersky Internet Security delivers the protection you need, without getting in your way. Not to mention we offer the best possible protection for you and your family.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 features

Essential Protection

Virus, Trojan, and Worm Protection

Spyware and Adware Protection

Automatic HOURLY Updates

New Threats Response Time (hours) 0-2

Proactive Behavior Blocker

Scans Email Messages

Scans Instant Messages (I'm)

Scans Web Activity (HTTP traffic)

Firewall (Two-Way)

Personal Firewall Leaks Stopped 85%

Identifies Trusted Applications (Whitelisting)

Detects Malware in Compressed Files

Blocks Phishing Attempts

Blocks Spam

Detects Unknown Malware (Heuristics)

Advanced Protection

Built-in Intrustion Prevention System

Protects Against Hacker Utilities

Detects Rootkits (top rating=8.0) 6.5

Blocks Malicious Changes to Applications

Restricts Unknown Application Activities

Identifies Application Vulnerabilities

Keylogger Protection + Virtual Keyboard

Parental Controls

Additional Capabilities

Free Technical Support Phone; Email; Chat; Kbase Email; Chat; Kbase Email; Chat; Kbase Phone; Email; Chat Phone; Email; Chat; Kbase

Scan Speed Adjusts to User Activity

Option to Scan Only New or Modified Files

Choice of Automatic or Expert Mode

Low Memory Usage (MB used) 16.2

Enables Global Community Watch

Time to Launch Internet Explorer 1099.8 ms

Optimized for Gaming

Self-Protection Capabilty 97%

Restores Correct Settings After Attack

Supported Operating Systems:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2 or higher), Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (32/64 bit) (Service Pack 2 or higher), Microsoft Windows Vista home basic (32/64 bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32/64 bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32/64 bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32/64 bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32/64 bit).

Hardware and Software Requirements:

Windows XP: Intel Pentium 800 MHz or higher (or compatible CPU) and 256 MB available RAM

Windows Vista: Intel Pentium 800 MHz 32 bit (x86)/64 bit (x64) or higher (or compatible CPU) and 512 MB available RAM.

Installation:

50 MB free space on the hard drive. CD-ROM (for installation of the program from CD); computer mouse; Internet connection (for product activation); Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for downloading updates); Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0. Optimized for mobile PC's with Intel Centrino Duo mobile technology

Technology Includes:

One year subscription to anti-malware updates and free upgrades to new software versions

Comprehensive protection, performance, and ease of use. We think you'll find an "apples to apples" comparison reveals Kaspersky Internet Security delivers the protection you need, without getting in your way. Not to mention we offer the best possible protection for you and your family.

It kicks A$$ jamminz.gif

:cheers:

I got hit today I couldn't use my internet explorer without it saying I have to buy their bogus anti virus program for $50. I had to go to safe mode log on to mini nova and download McAfee anti virus program. I been lazy well anyways it found 48 trojans. LOL I guess I better stay on top of this.

Last nite I was having problems loading pictures on my thread, this is after I downloaded McAfee and during the editing of my thread. McAfee detected 2 virus trojan and deleted them during the edit.

About 20 mins after I posted I got one of the worst virus' out there right now. I got sasser, koobface, and Virut. :eek: I am off to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows now. :headpop: Wish me luck. :roll:

Worst part of it is that I can not save any of my programs or executable files because there is a chance that they have been infected. I was able to save about 1/2 my hard drive with the files/pictures/video that will not be affected by the virus. This SUCKS! :ack: :(

Worst part of it is that I can not save any of my programs or executable files because there is a chance that they have been infected. I was able to save about 1/2 my hard drive with the files/pictures/video that will not be affected by the virus. This SUCKS! :ack: :(

Partition, Partition, Partition!

I have a 100 GB drive and I run 3 partitions. C: is 20, has OS and program files. D: is 70, which holds all my stuff, and E: is 10, and I ususally keep a backup OS on it in case I need to go in and delete something that's affected the primary OS. Plus, if I do need to format C:, I don't have to worry about backing anything up.

l_f5ca95d2ecad42a4b10800ca43e1b89a.jpg

Those are all on the same physical drive.

I get a smile on my face every time I read or hear about people having problems with viruses, trojans, malware etc.

I run Linux jamminz.gif

I switched to Ubuntu after I lost the boot sector of a HD a few years ago. It was a month before finals and emachines wanted 6 weeks to get a computer back to me. Since I did not feel like paying for windows I just bought a new HD and did it myself. Best thing I ever did and I have never looked back.

I got an old laptop from work that I run Ubuntu on, I love it. It is what i use all the time when not working.

The family pc, I use AVG antivirus. I also run malwarebytes as well as Ad-Aware, spybot search and destroy and Glary utilities.

AVG and spybot run all the time. i run Ad-aware, malwarebytes and Glary on a periodic basis.

Malwarebytes is one i just started running. A tech guy at my ISP recommended it. It is pretty fast where Ad-Aware and SpyBot can take an hr each to run a full scan.

I ran Malwarebytes recently and then ran Ad-aware and SpyBot after and they didn't find anything so Malwarebytes is pretty good. Glary utilities cleans up registry problems.

i'll have to say that my computer doesn't seem to be as fast as I would expect. i think it might be from having all these utilities running on it.

It is an Hp with 2.5 GHZ with 512MB ram. I might try upgrading the ram to see if that helps. It doesn't seem to run any faster after I run the cleanup routines either.