Project: How I feel MJs *should* have come from the factory

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brakelines are finished and bled! :D The big projects left are the floor and figuring out why the lights don't work right. (when I bought the truck the brake lights came on with the headlights and not with the brake pedal. Now I lost my turn indicators and brake lights altogether. All the grounds and sockets check out ok, but the fuse panel looks suspect. It's not in the greatest condition. :( )

Jeep on!

--Pete

Check your switch on the pedal for the brake light. Mine shorted one time and they did the same as yours until fuses started popping???

Cole

• 4 weeks later...

Could you have used:

-MJ main

-Explorer main

-Explorer #2

-Explorer #3

- MJ overload and MJ retention bands

The MJ has 2x4 springs on the back and MJ#3 are broke on both sides. I have the choice to get Explorer, XJ or more MJ-2x4 springs this weekend and not sure which way to go?

Thanks,

Charles

Could you have used:

-MJ main

-Explorer main

-Explorer #2

-Explorer #3

- MJ overload and MJ retention bands

The MJ has 2x4 springs on the back and MJ#3 are broke on both sides. I have the choice to get Explorer, XJ or more MJ-2x4 springs this weekend and not sure which way to go?

Thanks,

Charles

Sure, I imagine that would work fine. Only way to know for sure is to try it though. All packs are not created equal since any given explorer might have sagging ones.

How long did it take to drill out all the leafs?

I did mine (all 4 packs), and gave up after I carnaged two titanium bits (with cutting oil) on the first leaf. Then I went 'duh' and used a tapered reamer.

Now, had I been half smart I'd not have carnaged the two $12 ti. bits.

The main leafs went easily with just a schmuck highspeed steel bit and some oil. The arched lower leafs killed that same bit instantly and I had to resort to the expensive bits I have. Not sure what they're made of. :hmm: Cobalt I think. It was like a hundred for the set of 29 bits.

Nah, it stalled for a bit due to sudden increases in class work and/or decreases in outside temperature. Neither of those excuses can apply tonight though, so I hope to get the clutch line together and maybe figure out what's up with the brake lights.

Pete i would like to swap the break booster in my MJ as well. Is the 95yr model when the switched from a single to a dual diaphragm and was this a simple swap would like to know the does and don't or what would you have done to make this a simple task. :brows:

I was recently informed that I'll be in Georgia for Christmas this year. :dunno:

95-96 boosters are the ones you want.

For booster tips, see this link:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARbrakeBoosterUpgrade/BrakeBoosterUpgrade.htm

I found it hard to find pre-made brake lines in the store to match the new parts, so I bought bulk line from Advanced Auto and borrowed a double-flare tool and used all the fittings that came with the junkyard parts. Now's a great time to redo all the lines in your truck. Be repared to break stuff and replace more than you originally intended. I snapped off a bleeder nipple in my rear axle and suddenly had to take apart the guts of the drum to replace the cylinder inside. :( Overall it went fairly smoothly but took quite a while for me to do it all since there's so much involved in replacing just about everything associated with the braking system. But I should have a truck that stops better than new when I'm done. :D

Oh, and if I didn't mention it earlier, I got a mid 90s Dakota rubber line for the rear.

• 6 months later...

Hahahahahaha... :rotfl2: :rotf: :clapping: :laughin: Oh wait, are you're serious? Cough-cough. Sorry 'bout that. No, there's no painting involved on this one. It's hard to tell from the bad photo up there, but the body is rotting away in too many places to justify spending any money on paint. It was a old truck in need of some TLC and I decided to rescue it and make it into my DD (hopefully a reliable DD) or at the very least then I'll have a pickup with a usable bed (I own 4 trucks and the other 3 can't be used as actual pickups anymore). Also it's a test platform for some minor projects (like the 95 XJ booster or Hurculiner in the interior) before I put them into my 88.

• 4 months later...

Nothing beyond that I successfully drove it across the street (with no floor beneath me). That was interesting. :D

But I'm only a couple days away from wrapping up the current projects and will likely bring the 90 back to the garage for a floor and a new fuse box soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove the truck back over to the garage today. Trailed ATF out the back of the t-case for the last couple hundred yards. :mad: As if I needed one more thing to go wrong with that truck. I think it's just getting back at me for neglecting it for so long. :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the garage cleaned out enough to bring it in (for being a "small" truck, I need a surprisingly large amount of available floorspace). If I get some free time tomorrow I'll be checking it out.

• 2 years later...