Project: How I feel MJs *should* have come from the factory

yup. lost a lot of steam when the fuse box bit the dust. I hate wiring. Especially when I have to do it upside down lying on a jagged rusty floor. And then projects just kept piling up that were more important. On the plate right now are: landscaping that needs to get finished before winter, a basement that needs to be gutted before spring, the bedroom needs to be finished before spring, my grandparents need the bathroom drain pipe replaced asap (it's inside the wall of course), their basement also needs to be gutted (found some serious mold behind the panels on the north wall), the Liberty needs a ton of maintenance, and that's just the short list (doesn't include anything in Georgia). :(

Besides, what does it matter? it's not like I have the money to insure it for driving anyways. I realized long ago that my trucks have become just big 1:1 scale models. They look cool, have all the right stuff, but never seem to actually get used for the intended purpose. :dunno:

Maybe when the big pile of dirt is out of the driveway and I haul the truck over so it's right next to the garage I'll be more inspired. I guess I'm fighting the out-of-sight-out-of-mind complex with them across the street.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense taken. There's simply not a lot of companies in Michigan looking to hire industrial engineers. And any ones that are, have a huge selection of potential employees from all the layoffs. Guys with way more experience than me. Michigan's economy sucks. I'm really starting to look forward to moving to Georgia next year. :D I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds down there. The move could happen sooner if something comes up. :yes:

• 5 weeks later...
It's ALIVE!!!!! :clapping:

sorta. I just needed to move it out of the garage to make some room for the 8.8s. But she moved under her own power. jamminz.gif

Pete - I have the same alloys on my '88 (they're 15x7, right?). Are those still the 31s on those rims, with no lift? If so, that should be exactly what mine will look like after I get the WJ LCAs installed (should have them today or tomorrow) and 31s mounted. No real plans to do any serious offroading, so 31s on stock alloys with no lift should work just fine. 'Course my oldest daughter, who's a senior in high school and a CA state beach lifeguard, hasn't seen my truck yet, so she just might like it as a graduation present, lol! She'd be a hit with the other lifeguards I'm sure, especially the dudes, if she showed up for work in my Comanche with 31s, alloys, and maybe a slight lift, lol!

Anyway, if your pic has 31s on 15x7 stock alloys and no lift, that gives me a really good visual of what mine will look like.

I haven't had any issues. It's tight though. :D

Like the old saying goes, "if it clears by an inch, it clears by a mile"...I think 31s on stock alloys and stock ride height with WJ LCAs should work for me, because like I mentioned, I don't plan on doing any off-roading, other than driving on the sand at the beach, or on a fire trail road. So as long as they don't rub on the fenders, and the WJ LCAs should fix any rubbing on hard parts, I think I'll be good to go. I'm anxious to get the WJ LCAs installed and the 31s, before my daughter gets here in a couple of weeks, so she can see what the MJ looks like. Hopefully the gas gauge will be working correctly by then, but if not, it's an easy work around. I was thinking of playing it safe and just getting 30s instead of 31s, but seems that I can roll the dice on 31s on stock alloys and be fairly safe, especially with the WJ LCAs.

Got the WJ LCAs today, and went to the shop that's done work on some of my vehicles to get an estimate. They wanted $240 (3 hours labor) to install the WJ LCAs! WTF, over?! So I called an offroad place that specializes in all kinds of stuff for 4x4s, told them I wanted to replace the stock LCAs on my MJ with WJ LCAs, and they'd have to do some grinding on the ends to get them to fit, but no welding or fabrication, and they said they'd charge me $75! So I have an appt on Wed to get that done.

Also, I got estimates for new 31s from some local tire shops, and the quotes ranged from $560 to $585. I drove by a Firestone store and decided to stop just for the heck of it. The store manager said if I waited until tomorrow, I could get a "buy three get one free" deal on the Firestone Destination AT. So that'll work out to be around $540 for a set of brand name tires (the others weren't), mounted, balanced, valve stems, with the road hazard warranty. I checked this tire on Tire Rack, and it's gotten really good reviews. I'd be looking at $550 from Tire Rack just for the tires and shipping, plus another $100 to get them mounted/balanced, plus road hazard warranty. So I think I've found the tires I'll be getting.

If I remember, I'll try and take some "before and after" pictures of the LCAs and tires. Now I just have to get a new alternator so the MJ will start...