comanche lift...........

Alright so i got a Rocky Road Outfitters 6 inch lift cheap, finished the rear which was easy, now i started the front, so far I have it torn down. After realizing how the front is suppose to be lifted i figured that i might want to go a different route for it. So for those of you who have lifted comanches, how did you guys end up lifting the front, without using control arm drop brackets, which is what i have? also cheapest would be the best since I'm low on funds, and long ar, kits aint cheap

How's your kit setup for the front?

kit came with control arm drop brackets that you have drill into the frame and use self tapping screws to hold them in, and for the spring setup, they gave me 3 inch springs with 2 2in spacers and 2 1 inch spacers, and you stack the spacers and springs. they also gave me an adjustable track bar and shocks and i think thats about it. I'm thinking I'm still going to need a drop pitman arm and extended brake lines

Do NOT use a drop pitman arm. The pitman arm will not be parallel to your track bar any more causing bump steer, and the added stress on the steering box from the added leverage of the pitman arm will cause the frame to tear around the steering box bolts. This is a 4 linked front suspension, not leaf sprung. A drop pitman arm serves no purpose with our suspension.

I run a 4.5" lift (all spring) with adjustable upper and lower control arms going to the stock brackets, as well as an adjustable track bar. Doesn't ride that bad. When I move up to 6.5" I will probably still use these control arms for the time being until I have the money to upgrade to a long arm set up further down the road. Motion Offroad has 6.5" lift springs, I'm sure other companies do as well (RE?).

If they get screwed on with self tapping screws I would stay away from the control arm drop brackets. I have not heard a lot of good thingds from RRO. Also do not get anything from Rusty's.

There is a reason that you got a Rocky Road kit cheap...they are JUNK. There is no way to lift a MJ that much "cheaply" unfortunately. If you want 6" of lift, the proper kits are going to cost $1500 - $2000. You can't lift it that high without either drop brackets or long arms. I would recommend that you put the rear back down and wait until you have the needed money to do it right...or...go with a smaller lift so you can save money :thumbsup: :smart:

Sorry to hear that you are another one screwed by the RRO illusion...

they gave me 3 inch springs with 2 2in spacers and 2 1 inch spacers, and you stack the spacers and springs.

SCARY! Please don't put that on your Jeep!

no i didnt plan on it, i ordered 6.5 springs to put them in

ok so after looking around on 4x4groupbuy i only found rubicon express and rough country, any other companies besides rustys make lifts, and what do you guys think would be the best to go with?

sell everything separately, you may even come closer to getting your money back than as a package. plenty of takers out there for 3" coils, 2" spacers, and 1" spacers as individual items etc. good luck............

:agree: That's what I would do too :thumbsup:

Yep, another RRO happy costumer. :(

I got their drop brackets. Can't tell you how they handle yet as the build is still in the garage, however I can tell you what a PITA they were. The design is good and welds look nice, it's the poor quality control that makes them suck. The brace is more for keeping the bracket from pushing or pulling. The self tapping bolts are ok because they are not for holding strength but shearing strenght. I replaced all the attaching hardware with grade 8 stuff. All in all I would go with RE's drop brackets if I did it again. The brace isn't totally necessary. You can check out page 7 and 8 on my build for my install.

Get rid of the spring setup. What a joke from a Offroad company. :shake:

:cheers:

I've got the RE drop brackets from Motion Offroad, I called them on the phone and got a better deal than the listed price on their website, very cool. I like em, I've got OME 6.5" springs with 1.75" spacers, They're used springs but they were in great shape when I got em, hardly used at all....however, it only equaled out to about 7" up front. Anyways, the RE drop brackets fit perfect, they're heavy duty and definitely a quality product. I had no problems installing them. I've got zero death wobble the truck rides fantastic, Its my DD.

Of note, with this much lift, I think OTK steering is required, I just haven't gotten around to it. The steering angle is really steep and the passenger side tie-rod end is almost completely maxed out which limits my droop. I also went ahead and put a ZJ drop pitman in because I was planning of getting a track bar drop bracket too, haven't got around the that either. The ZJ pitman arm was about 1-1.5" inches lower and it did contribute to some bump steer but its almost negligible, I'll probably switch it out soon, when I get around to it,,, :shake: as soon as I finish all the other things I've got planned.... :shake:

ok so i looked at motion offroads lifts and found out that the lift that i want costs as much as my truck, and used pretty much the same stuff i already have. so i figured what I'm going to do is sell my drop brackets and save up for a long arm kit and put it all together at once, and for now I'm going to use my extended shackles and spacers to have 2 inches and put my old 31's from my tj on there

ok so i looked at motion offroads lifts and found out that the lift that i want costs as much as my truck, and used pretty much the same stuff i already have. so i figured what I'm going to do is sell my drop brackets and save up for a long arm kit and put it all together at once, and for now I'm going to use my extended shackles and spacers to have 2 inches and put my old 31's from my tj on there
Now your talkin' :thumbsup: :yes: Good decision :cheers:

alright so not wanting my comanche to sit at 3in or stock forever, (not enough for longarms yet), i did some research, and saw that some people used adjustable control arms going to the stock control arm brackets. i have a set of adjustable control arms from my tj (has a 3inch lift) would these work for my lower control arms on my comanche with 6 inch springs?

i can get the rough country 6.5" kit complete for a wicked price. about $840 USD, so around a grand once i get it to my door. does anyone here have anything bad to report about the rough country lifts??

How long can those arms get? Some where on here there's a chart showing what the arm lengths should be at certain heights.

from one edge of the hole that the screw goes throught to the other is 18 inches, thats the maxi would go, i can go farther but then the threads start to show