comanche lift...........

How long can those arms get? Some where on here there's a chart showing what the arm lengths should be at certain heights.

from one edge of the hole that the screw goes throught to the other is 18 inches, thats the maxi would go, i can go farther but then the threads start to show

According to the chart, for 6" lift, you want your LCAs to be 17" from eye to eye (measure from the center of each eye). So you arms will be long enough. Problem is, with that much lift, the arms will hit the coil spring perches and limit your flex/droop. Thats where drop brackets come into play. Or long arms.

I've don't a ton of research regarding this exact same thing over the past few days. It seems you have three options with 6ish" of lift.

1. Use adjustable short arms (upper and lower will be needed) and deal with non-optimal geometry and flex. It will work, and you can dial it in to the point where your steering and flex are adequate - not great, but adequate.

2. Use short arm drop brackets. They come with their own problems, one being that they can be a pain to install and a lot of the brackets our there are poorly designed. If you get a good set and get them installed properly, they can help with flex and your front end geometry.

3. Long arms are the best solution. Good ones will solve almost all of your problems, give a great ride, and perform fantastic off-road. But they are expensive.

So, in the end, you have to decide what you are comfortable with regarding performance and price. Its always a trade-off.

Oh, and upgrading your steering at that height is another story.

According to the chart, for 6" lift, you want your LCAs to be 17" from eye to eye (measure from the center of each eye). So you arms will be long enough. Problem is, with that much lift, the arms will hit the coil spring perches and limit your flex/droop. Thats where drop brackets come into play. Or long arms.

I've don't a ton of research regarding this exact same thing over the past few days. It seems you have three options with 6ish" of lift.

1. Use adjustable short arms (upper and lower will be needed) and deal with non-optimal geometry and flex. It will work, and you can dial it in to the point where your steering and flex are adequate - not great, but adequate.

2. Use short arm drop brackets. They come with their own problems, one being that they can be a pain to install and a lot of the brackets our there are poorly designed. If you get a good set and get them installed properly, they can help with flex and your front end geometry.

3. Long arms are the best solution. Good ones will solve almost all of your problems, give a great ride, and perform fantastic off-road. But they are expensive.

So, in the end, you have to decide what you are comfortable with regarding performance and price. Its always a trade-off.

Oh, and upgrading your steering at that height is another story.

awesome, thanks man, its not going to be a permanent solution, its just going to be until i can afford long arm kit, so I'm not too worried about flex right now, so i still need to get upper control arms and extended brake lines(alot cheaper than long arms at the moment) i do have drop brackets but they arent too reliable (from rocky road outfitters)

also I know Rustys has a bad rep, but i heard theyve changed, don't know for sure, but anyone know if the upper control arms are any good and if they would work with this setup, or does anyone else have a cheaper solution for upper control arms

I think he was saying 18" was the max SAFE length ... at least thats how I took it. If 18" was completely extended, then yeah, 17" might be pushing it.

your right thats what i meant, i could extend them beyond 18 but then the threads would start to show, and i knew that wouldnt be too save