1992/1999 Mj Project

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the front freeze plug leaking like it looks like or just splashed from somewhere else?

Nope, I believe what we see in that picture is some dirt/grime that didn't get pressure washed.

Very happy for you, this is a top notch build. Will be following closely as I'm sure you will have heaps of detail & good idea's for all of use :thumbsup:   

Thanks!

Congrats man! I've been waiting for some progress on this thing as I know it's going to come out amazing!

Thanks man. Like I said in the beginning, I am slow!

Made a little more progress on the motor. Haven't found anything detrimental yet. Just some sludge and a wet piston #4. The spark plug for #4 was fouled black as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it was time for this poor 150K mile 4.0 to get a rebuild.... Rod bearings were well worn:

Then parts started to show up. Mopar Performance Cam, lifters, timing gear set, pin/spring....

I picked up the block and head from the machine shop tonight. Ended up going 0.020" over and decking the head, not block (for simplicity). 3 intake valves were replaced as well. She is also balanced and polished. Now to start putting it all together.

I decided to clean up the dash from the donor XJ. The Jeep was a smokers rig and reeked of smoke. Plus everything was coated in cigarette tar. Bleck  :ack: I fully disassembled the dash and cleaned each piece in soap and water. I also did away with the cigar lighter  :yes:

Started to reassemble the motor. Cam, lifters, and head installed:

Timing gear and chain, push rods, and rockers installed:

Called it a night with the installation of the timing cover, new Mopar harmonic balancer (these things cost too much $), Melling oil pump and Mopar pick up tube, oil pan, and valve cover. 

(ignore the wall art  :rotf: )

Followed up by a semi-gloss paint job. Installed the oil filter adapter, dipstick, water pump and thermostat housing.

More progress you say?

Champion Plugs, Dizzy, Alt and engine mount brackets installed.

I still need to acquire a PaceSetter header and spend some quality time cleaning the intake manifold. Also need to find some injectors, leaning towards the Bosch XF2E-CB. Then, do a deep cleaning and a few seals to replace on the AW4 and 242. Then it all can go together and find its permanent home in the truck.  

So you dedicating your time to this one now? Or doing Moe and this one at the same time?? Either way they are awesome.  :thumbsup:

Thanks! This truck is getting 100% of my time and $$$ right now. Moe is in the back yard with a floor that is 90% done.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates?

I have been trumped by a bearing. A bearing has prevented me from finishing the motor assembly. The fan bearing is toast and is part of the AC bracket and not available separately from Mopar. This is just a water pump style bearing and should be easy to find.

Went to the local Motion Industries facility with the bearing and another part # found online. The fellow behind the counter came up empty and even called NSK who said the bearing isn't available. I am still looking for an alternative $15 bearing vs replacing the whole bracket for $125+.

I have also rebuilt the heater box with a new heater core, evaporator and foam seals.

I'm shocked that Motion Industries couldn't help you out.

I suggest going back and talking to someone else there who has more experience. If they can't hook you up with a bearing that matches the part number, see if you cannot talk them into cross-referencing by inner and outer diameters, thickness, and bearing type - they *should* have multiple bearings from multiple manufacturers to choose from.

Back in the day when we were still farming commercially and running worn-out equipment, the folks at Motion Industries were able to keep us going. Recent years have brought changes for the worse, however: they have been unable to be as helpful than they were in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

The motor is 90% buttoned up. I found an AC compressor bracket with a good fan pulley bearing, so locating a replacement bearing is on the back burner for now. All that remains is stripping the PaceSetter header and applying high temp paint then install said header. I also need to purchase new injectors.

I cleaned up the engine bay harness and installed it. Realized I failed to drill the washer fluid reservoir and PCM holes, so I got that squared away. Then I discovered the latch on the PDC cover is busted. Time to find a replacement.

After fighting with the HVAC box for what seemed like ever I finally got it installed in the truck. New foam seals, new evaporator core and new heater core. Oh, and it is void of all rodent stench!

The dash would be installed, but I managed to loose the bolts and nut clips for the top of the dash mount......

Looking good 87Warrior, was hoping you would post soon with some wiring updates. The ones that go from the inside of the cab to rear... you know what I mean ...

can you also shed some light on the rear window controls. I remember  reading in one of your earlier posts don't cut the rear harness. If I could get P/B working I show you where I'm at.

Look forward to following your build.    

In regards to the rear window wiring. Some of the windows/locks share common grounds or power (I don't recall) that you do not want to remove. Starting at the plugs at each rear door, I traced each individual wire back to it origination point or splice point. I did this with all of the wires going into each plug at the rear doors/hatch then tested the lock/window function of the front doors while still in the XJ. I still have to clean up the interior harness and redo the stock Chrysler splices wrapped in duct tape  :ack:

For the tail light harness I plan to simply extend the XJ wiring and adapt the XJ light sockets to the MJ taillights, or splice the MJ taillight sockets in place of the XJ sockets. This will also allow me to use a plug-n-play trailer light harness designed for the XJ. I will try to send the tail light wiring through the cab with the fuel pump wiring. 

This evening I managed to get the dash installed. I had to rob a parts truck for the upper dash nut clips and bolts. 

I have also ordered two varieties of carpet padding/insulation, a roll of Fatmat (like Dynamat) for the rear cab, doors, pillars and roof and a full set of KellysWIP battery cables.

Thanks! I am already making plans to do the Trans American Trail in this truck once completed.

This task is finally underway:

This is my plan:

- Add 5' of wire to the Driver tail lamp/plate light and passenger tail lamp harness

- Utilize MJ floor plugs to let the harness exit the cab in various positions (fuel pump and driver tail lamp/ plate light on driver side and passenger tail lamp on passenger side)

- Use XJ rear cargo light as MJ dome light, this part of the harness also includes the rear speaker wiring

- Use XJ vanity mirror light harness to power a lighted rear view mirror, XJ overhead dome light placed above rearview mirror