Bigger gas tank?

87 shortbed MJ has the tiny stock gas tank. I'd like to get a bigger tank and since I figure finding one in an MJ is gonna be a task, can anyone give me some places to look for a new replacement?

I was thinking JC Whitney (or the equivalent) might have something? Ideas?

There was only one size tank available under shortbeds (18 gal) and I only know of stock-size replacements. :(

If that is true than I find this info (directly from Jeep) interesting...

But I also find it interesting that they say the MJ was built in '84 and '85 as well... :wavey:

I can however confirm that my SWB '88 is only the 13.5 gallon one. So I'd venture to say that a good conversion for the pre '88 SWB MJ's would be an '89+ SWB tank.

capacities.jpg

I have an 87 with the 4.0. It has a 23.5 gallon tank instead of 13.5 listed. That is the optional larger tank. The base lwb tank is listed in my manual as 16 gallons and the swb only had an 18.5 gallon tank available, again straight from my manual.

My 87-90 Jeep parts catalog also only mentions the 16, 18 and 23.5 gal tanks. :hmm:

Any of you guys with the 13.5 ever run out of gas?

I've never run out because I pay veeeeeery close attention to the tiny gas gauge. Trust me, the 13.5 gallon tank existed; you've seen that already from 3 posters on this thread.

Somewhere I've got the build sheet. I'll look for it after work today.

I've got the tiny one in my '87 too. Even though my sender is a bit whacky (HO on a Renix that reads backwards), and was a little off even when it was stock, the most I've ever been able to stuff into it when close to "E" is 11.5 gallons.

Jeff

Check on Ebay. You will find several sellers of new, replacement tanks for about $75 or so.

I "think" (but do not know) there is a difference in venting over several different years.

My 91 long bed has the 23.5 gal tank as standard equipment per the manual and per the factor window sticker.

91 and 92 short beds had an 18 gallon tank.

Somewhere I've got the build sheet. I'll look for it after work today.

Went looking for the build sheet, but I was mistaken. I have the dealer's invoice, which is different and doesn't have the gas tank on there.

Can you crawl underneath and take some measurements?

OK, took measurements. May be off an inch in all three dimensions.

27Lx15Wx12H

A quick calculation from the intertoob tells me that would hold about 21 gallons.

Which still doesn't explain why I've run it waaaaay past the yellow light and still never got more than 13.1 gallons in it.

Or maybe it's not fully filling up? :hmm:

Nah, I'm a habitual topper offer. Gassing up isn't finished until the gas is foaming up out of the filler neck. (yes, I know that isn't the right way to tell if its full)

I guess the sender could be reading bad. Maybe I'll just toss the gas can in the back and run until she's dry, then fill and see what it takes.

my 88 has the 23.5 gallon tank as well.the smaller tanks used 2 straps to hold it up where the bigger used 3 straps.funny thing is that before i replaced my tank is when the gas light came on it would have 4-5 gallons left.after i replaced the tank it comes on when there is only 1-2 gallons left.

The 13.5 gallon capacity was in early base model Cherokees. I don't think it was ever in the MJ -- the tanks are totally different. Unless you had a build sheet run the day the vehicle was purchased, you really can't trust them too much. Chrysler apparently recycled some of the codes, so running a build sheet on an older XJ or MJ results in some eye-opening option listings that were never available in the year of the vehicle.

My suspicions are that all the MJ tanks are the same size. The capacity difference is determined by the vent location.

I know on YJs there was an option for larger capacity. The tanks were the same size, but with the smaller capacity was installed a vent tube extension that extended lower in the tank. This prevented filling the tank past the lowered vent tube level. If you paid extra for the larger capacity option they left the extension off allowing you to fill the tank more. :roll:

I would guess they did the same thing with MJs. This would have been a lot cheaper than building two different sizes of tanks. One of these days I want to drop the tank to confirm this and reroute the vent tube for more capacity.

Willy