Idiot Guages - got to replace

yes they did most were on the 4.0l equiped but you can take a cherokees guages and put it in and just swap you speedo into the new cluster and get the correct oil and temp sensor for the guages and not lights i just did this to mine ill have pics up also here is a reference http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921205 for the odometer :cheers:

So I got a challange for ya.

Colum shift MJ, All idiot lights.

????what now?????

I did that swap, but had to cut out a window and switch the PRNDL over as well. You should have a dremel tool and a 12 pack. Just try and get a same year cluster as there were some differences in speedo cable mounting.

So I got a challange for ya.

Colum shift MJ, All idiot lights.

????what now?????

I did that swap, but had to cut out a window and switch the PRNDL over as well. You should have a dremel tool and a 12 pack. Just try and get a same year cluster as there were some differences in speedo cable mounting.

I did that and just installed a shift indicator on the column...then I got sick of looking at the ugly thing removed it and just went with notch counting. worked fine for me.

The simple, expedient solution is the add-on PRNDL that gets screwed to the top of the steering column. The more elegant solution is to modify the new cluster to accept the PRNDL out of the old cluster. And the way I would probably go would be to change the whole mess over to an MJ floor shifter.

And the way I would probably go would be to change the whole mess over to an MJ floor shifter.

:agree: Floor shifter would solve the whole problem, and then you could put in buckets with a center console right away.

i got mine out of a 1990 and i got a 89 and it al works good :chillin: but after i get lifted and run 31's ill have to change the dang speedo gear :fs1: i already am running 235x75x15 and my speedo is off by 5mph like I'm going 50 speedo reads 45 :hmm:

• 1 month later...

Now that I found a new instrument cluster out of a cherokee that was the same year. My question is the sensors.

I take I need an oil and temp sensor for my 2.5L.

Can I assume that only a 2.5L engine sensors will work?

I wouldn't be lucky enough that I could go back to the junk yard and pull them off either a 2.8 or 4.0?

yes they did most were on the 4.0l equiped but you can take a cherokees guages and put it in and just swap you speedo into the new cluster and get the correct oil and temp sensor for the guages and not lights i just did this to mine ill have pics up also here is a reference http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921205 for the odometer :cheers:

In your write up(which is great) you reset the odometer on the replacement gauge after pulling it. I believe that is illegal about everywhere. Why didn't you just swap the speedo with the one you removed from the truck? I just did this swap and the repacement cluster had like 75k more miles on it. I just swapped in the old speedo.