Why quad trails are for quads

BPB

Why are some of you guys being such tools? You know very little about the situation. If any of you has never been in the "I think I can make it....maybe....maybe....OH $#!&" scenario, then you need to wheel somewhere other than the mall :D . (JK guys). But really, the dudes truck is severely fubared, he is accepting responsibility , and it was one of those character builting things your Dad always told you about. :smart:

Now, I want to see some pictures of the trail to see how "tough" it really was :yes:

Why are some of you guys being such tools? You know very little about the situation. If any of you has never been in the "I think I can make it....maybe....maybe....OH $#!&" scenario, then you need to wheel somewhere other than the mall :D . (JK guys). But really, the dudes truck is severely fubared, he is accepting responsibility , and it was one of those character builting things your Dad always told you about. :smart:

Now, I want to see some pictures of the trail to see how "tough" it really was :yes:

Why????

It's the "I think I can make it....maybe....maybe....OH $#!&" scenarios why we have to take a 4hr drive to wheel.

Why are some of you guys being such tools? You know very little about the situation.:
We know that he drove down a quad trail...

If you can't tell the difference between a quad trail and a legal road... well... :dunno: :shake: ...I'll leave it at that...

Why????

It's the "I think I can make it....maybe....maybe....OH $#!&" scenarios why we have to take a 4hr drive to wheel.

I guess I missed the part where he said this was land that he was not allowed to be on with his truck?? I also don't see where his truck will mess up the environment any worse than a pack of ATV's will.

Yeah, I think some of you are jumping to conclusions. I once accidentally found myself on one of the "quad trails" at The Badlands in Attica, IN (not that hard since the trails are poorly marked and the map sucks). It was a tight fit but we got through it. No one got mad at us (the one quad guy that tried to give us directions back to the 4x4 area seemed quite sympathetic to our plight). No lands were going to be shut down. Heck, very few plants were even harmed. It was a learning experience for sure.

Yeah, I think some of you are jumping to conclusions. I once accidentally found myself on one of the "quad trails" at The Badlands in Attica, IN (not that hard since the trails are poorly marked and the map sucks). It was a tight fit but we got through it. No one got mad at us (the one quad guy that tried to give us directions back to the 4x4 area seemed quite sympathetic to our plight). No lands were going to be shut down. Heck, very few plants were even harmed. It was a learning experience for sure.

yeah, but those werent "ATV only" trails. they are shared at the badlands except for the trucks only part.

Mistakes can happen. I don't think he meant to damage his truck or ruin everything for everyone else. Sounds like he just made a mistake so why beat him over the head for it. I think having his truck effed up is punishment enough for his sins.

No lands were going to be shut down. Heck, very few plants were even harmed.

On another forum he stated that he had to cut down a tree to get it out. The unauthorized removal of vegetation WILL get trails shut down. That is NOT treading lightly and I don't think any mature wheeler should condone or defend this type of behavior. I have gotten myself into some really tight situations and had the wherewithal to use the R gear to backtrack and not make matters worse. Rant off.

No lands were going to be shut down. Heck, very few plants were even harmed.

On another forum he stated that he had to cut down a tree to get it out. The unauthorized removal of vegetation WILL get trails shut down. That is NOT treading lightly and I don't think any mature wheeler should condone or defend this type of behavior. I have gotten myself into some really tight situations and had the wherewithal to use the R gear to backtrack and not make matters worse. Rant off.

Well, that is not information we are privy to here, now is it? :dunno: The guy definitely FU'ed. No doubt about it, but a bunch of internet Mommy's isn't going to change that. But what it is going to cost to fix is truck probably will.

And by the way," tread lightly" has MANY levels of definition depending upon whom you ask. The last peoples to live by that standard were driven off to reservations many years ago.

soapbox.gif

If you believe in the principles of The United 4 Wheel Drive Association, Tread Lightly, The Blue Ribbon Coalition etc, etc... then it should be very easy to understand why this type of activity is wrong. If it's your land, do what you will...just don't post it in public for all of the tree huggers that search these types of sites to find and use against the rest of us that want to keep our sport alive. :cheers:

/ soapbox.gif

It's just want people to understand that what "seems" to be an innocent picture or comment can and will be twisted by those that oppose us so just THINK about what you post on the internet ;) :smart: :D

And by the way," tread lightly" has MANY levels of definition depending upon whom you ask. The last peoples to live by that standard were driven off to reservations many years ago.

As a certified "Tread Lightly!" Master Trainer, I'll have to disagree with you. Tread Lightly means doing as little damage and leaving as little impact as possible -- including simply not going certain places if you can't go there without leaving a severe "footprint" (such as not driving across boggy terrain during the wet season, for example). It also means things like not driving with a heavier foot than necessary for the conditions, not straying off the prescribed trails, not making multiple detours around the detours -- all that good stuff.

Tread Lightly! certainly doesn't encompass cutting down trees to unstuck yourself. If the only way to get out of somewhere is to cut vegetation, the Tread Lightly! approach would be ... don't go there. It's about being responsible stewards of the land, not only to preserve the environment but also to preserve whatever level of access to it we currently have. Irresponsible wheeling just gives the rabid tree huggers more reason to argue that we should never be allowed to wheel, anywhere, any time.

As a certified "Tread Lightly!" Master Trainer, I'll have to disagree with you. Tread Lightly means doing as little damage and leaving as little impact as possible -- including simply not going certain places if you can't go there without leaving a severe "footprint" (such as not driving across boggy terrain during the wet season, for example). It also means things like not driving with a heavier foot than necessary for the conditions, not straying off the prescribed trails, not making multiple detours around the detours -- all that good stuff.

Tread Lightly! certainly doesn't encompass cutting down trees to unstuck yourself. If the only way to get out of somewhere is to cut vegetation, the Tread Lightly! approach would be ... don't go there. It's about being responsible stewards of the land, not only to preserve the environment but also to preserve whatever level of access to it we currently have. Irresponsible wheeling just gives the rabid tree huggers more reason to argue that we should never be allowed to wheel, anywhere, any time.

You prove my point well Eagle. The definition you have for "Tread Lightly" as an off roader (which I agree with 1 million percent, by the way), would greatly exceed the "tread lightly" parameters we use in Scouting. And what we use as scouts would exceed what the people in charge of preserving areas like the Adirondack high peaks areas find acceptable.

Don't get me wrong. I do not condone destroying any area of nature through misuse. I spend way more time hiking in the woods than driving in them. Without knowing anything about multipurpose, only taking what I saw in his post, it seemed like he was being set upon by a pack of pitbulls. If anyone here who goes off road can honestly say that they have never screwed up at some point in time wheeling, then :bowdown: . He admits to being a :fool: , but let him move forward, huh?

Well, I went looking for the original post over at NAXJA and it has been deleted. The boys over there got extremely wound up so, it got shut down. Sorry I can't get you bigpimpinben's (multipurposemj)story that included cutting the tree down.

I personally would like everyone to chill, and not post negative or positive feedback at the moment. then, it would be nice if the OP came back, and told us what happened. did he damage the truck, or did people vandalize it?

was it public, or private

I'm a member on naxja and have a WOHVA membership as well....I do not condone this type of trail run, or activity. however, if he can explain it for us to better understand, perhaps no one will jump to further conclusions.

and yes, I was a little rash too. he needs to learn from this.

dang you guys now i fell just horable about my first post on the subject

i say to the man with a broken and busted up mj, i am sorry and i was way too harsh with my reply to your situation :oops: :doh:

please foregive me

BWAHAHAHA.

man, don't feel bad. I'm sure I should feel terrible.... but I don't.