Why all the Hate?

HKB3

After posting this pic;

I don`t understand all the hate towards larger diameter wheels? I know that MJ is far from a show winner but I can appricate when someone tries to push the envelope a bit. Now I'm not talking about 30" wheels on a Hummer or 26" wheels on an Impala but 20 inch wheels with 36" tires isn`t that bad in my book.

Here are a couple more examples that I think are tasteful;

0709or_29_z+2007_jeep_wrangler_jk_beadlocks+walker_evans_installed.jpg

129_0802_04_z+top_truck_challenge_contenders+rob_murphy.jpg

129_0802_19_z+top_truck_challenge_contenders+wayne_sheeley.jpg

standard.jpg

397609080_xQXdG-L.jpg

are big wheels really that bad?

The rest of those Jeeps are running 16-17" max! The 20 look like poop, but that is just my opinion.

I do not like the big wheels scene unless they are 17-19" on a old mucle car or truck don tastfully,

LIKE THIS!

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_osNCtJRaEA70CjzbkF/SIG=122c21bde/EXP=1227654572/**http%3A//www.stjudes.com/images/truck/02BURN.jpg

After posting this pic;

I don`t understand all the hate towards larger diameter wheels? I know that MJ is far from a show winner but I can appricate when someone tries to push the envelope a bit. Now I'm not talking about 30" wheels on a Hummer or 26" wheels on an Impala but 20 inch wheels with 36" tires isn`t that bad in my book.

There is as much or more rubber to rim ratio on all the other pics you posted... that isn't the case in the first pic...

I don't mind 17's with the right Tire size (wouldn't run myself), but 20's just looks "Blingy" in my estimation...

Dare to be different. Thats what life is all about. Thats where ideas, technical progress, innovation are born from. Thats where the majority of modifications you see on peeps vehichels on this forum originated. From something they saw on someone else's vehicle and adapted & modified to suit their personal ideals. Like the wheels on this FC

Image Not Found

I love those black DC1's, but I just think they look a little silly, and monster-truck-wanna-be-ish on that MJ.

I'll be putting black dc1's on mine, but they won't be that huge...

I think it's funny that 20's used to be HUGE wheels, and now 20's look normal on stock trucks, and people are putting lift kits and 28" wheels on Cutlas'.... :nuts: :ack:

monte_carlo_on_dubs092007054829.gif

But hey, I don't knock other peoples hobbies. Not everyone's cool enough to jeep. :cheers:

Man, the paint on that car looks awesome, if only it were on an early 2nd gen camaro, and not a $1200 80's heap.

(edit-just the paint, not the wheels, lambo doors, or plush interior.)

Edited both my posts because I realized it's not a Monte, it's a Cutlass.

There's a simple little ratio I use for off-road tires/wheels. The tire OD must be at least 2 times the rim size. So, for a 40" tire we could well run a 20" rim. But, for a 30" we ain't running a 20" rim.

So, I have no actual issues with running a 16 or 17" rim with 34s or 35s, however this will boil down to usage and preference. If the truck sees more street use having a larger rim (and less tire sidewall) actually is a benefit as it will firm the handling up a bit. Also, running a 15" rim on a 54" tire looks goofy, and the sidewall will probably flex well beyond what is actually desired. But, go too large on the rim and it WILL be fodder off-road. Not to mention it'll start to look really goofy.

And buying some super fancy rims isn't really a good idea for wheeling. Although, forged aluminum has a place. Just don't expect it (or any rim) to look good forever (or even 15 minutes).

For pure street use, no wheeling, or intentions of it looking like 'it perhaps could be wheeled if it wasn't a retarded show truck' the above ratio doesn't apply at all. Not that I'm into the show truck thing.

i'm with dirty on the 2x rubber to wheel ratio.

15" rim with 44s looks silly, 20s with 33's looks silly.

but the black rims on the cherokee look badass.

i just odn't do chrome unless its on a car or a lowered truck. (or a super-nice example like a early 90s laredo or something with chrome package. dk blue looks nice with chrome accents)

i like it i just don't like that wheel STYLE(dc's are played out so hard around here). but narrow mindedness is usually the answer to hating. i say rock on do what u want and who cares.its your truck not theres.

:agree:

Just think how many mall crawlers look at you hauling you beat down trail rig to the mountains saying "what a dumb a$$". I know I have gotten that look more then once.. but most of the times I get the thumbs up, or the approval nod.

I say different strokes for different folks. I have been a participant in a few different forms of car/truck building. :huh???: I used to love my chopped and dropped s-10 I had (hard top convertible). I also did the muscle car thing... I can appreciate how much time and money some one else puts in their ride.

I have been resisting the temptation to post in this topic, but can't any more.

For me it is not the size of the rims on the truck in the first post, as it is the design of the rims.

They just plain look like some of the fugliest rims I have seen in my life. All 37 years of it.

I have been resisting the temptation to post in this topic, but can't any more.

For me it is not the size of the rims on the truck in the first post, as it is the design of the rims.

They just plain look like some of the fugliest rims I have seen in my life. All 37 years of it.

The fugly rims don't help, but they still are too big. He could have huge soft 8s and I'd still think it looked stupid.

Of course, I have other issues with the pictured truck. Which don't help.

What if he's a sand guy? I know people that love the sand, but don't do much else with their trucks (usually for fear of getting the paint scratched :shake: ).

I doubt it goes anywhere, but maybe to a show'n'shine. The huge rims make it hard to tell, but I really think that's a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Oh, who am I kidding, it is. There's no lockouts on the front axle, so it is 99% likely that is is a D30 = 5x4.5. So, at best he's got a D44 or 8.8 rear. But it's probably a D35, as it looks small and isn't 8.8 shaped. Granted, I can't confirm that, but the skyjacker red, the stance of the truck, and the huge rims make me think it ain't nothing but show, and show doesn't require axles that will survive.

Okay, so, maybe he drives it around in sand some. I've seen show trucks do that too. Bah. Might as well stick to the parking lot at the mall.

What if he's a sand guy? I know people that love the sand, but don't do much else with their trucks (usually for fear of getting the paint scratched :shake: ).

I doubt it goes anywhere, but maybe to a show'n'shine. The huge rims make it hard to tell, but I really think that's a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Oh, who am I kidding, it is. There's no lockouts on the front axle, so it is 99% likely that is is a D30 = 5x4.5. So, at best he's got a D44 or 8.8 rear. But it's probably a D35, as it looks small and isn't 8.8 shaped. Granted, I can't confirm that, but the skyjacker red, the stance of the truck, and the huge rims make me think it ain't nothing but show, and show doesn't require axles that will survive.

Okay, so, maybe he drives it around in sand some. I've seen show trucks do that too. Bah. Might as well stick to the parking lot at the mall.

:mad: :clapping: