Previous Owner Had a Bad Idea

The previous owner installed a PS unit on my MJ. It works fine but when I go under neath working on the suspension I found something alarming. By adding a new fan belt to the configuration it rubbed against the lower radiator hose. So to solve the problem he zip tied it to a control arm.

I can see me in the desert here in AZ and the zip tie breaking and wearing through my hose, water draining out and my engine overheating leaving me strained.

My question how best to fix:

1. Better way of holding the hose away

2. Find a replacement hose that is longer that will naturally not run against the belt

3.. The PS unit has to come off

Image Not Found

The hose for a PS unit has a bend to move it away from the belt.
It appears to be the radiator hose that has the zip tie holding it down to the LCA...

If it were mine, I would get the right equipment for it instead of trying to find ways to rig what's not supposed to be there.

Can you get a better picture? That one is pretty small and it's hard to tell what is going on. It would be interesting to see the PS unit and the modifications to the radiator hose.

But, regardless of what is currently rigged, 1 and 2 are not even options. If a PS or radiator hose is zip tied to the control arm get that stuff out of there. Go to the junk yard and replace the mess with the stock set up.

Willy

Can you take a pic from the top of the engine looking down at the hose and PS unit? I have an '86 XJ 4-cyl here and an '88 MJ 4-cyl. Both have power steering. I can probably get you a photo over the weekend for comparison to your setup.

I'll try to remember to see what my setup looks like tomorrow afternoon, but it might be hard to tell with the skid plate in the way. I do know for a fact that my (factory) power steering does not include a zip tie on the lower radiator hose, although there are a number of zip ties on various other engine parts (that are factory :nuts: ).

It looks like he mounted the original pump higher. It's the brackets that are odd. Otherwise it's a 86 set up with a separate belt. Normally the pump is a lot lower with a shorter belt but my belt is farther forward. Perhaps it's the wrong water pump which made him change the alternator belt resulting in the steering belt farther back.

Those are definitely home made brackets.

Replace the hose.My Ram has lower hose on other side but it has a wiggle bend in it to go around the serpentine belt.If you can't find a hose to fit that try some metal tubing with shorter rubber hose conecting each end.Look at Street Rod and racing catalogs and websites.Get a bracket that holds hose to an engine bolt .

Replace the hose.My Ram has lower hose on other side but it has a wiggle bend in it to go around the serpentine belt.If you can't find a hose to fit that try some metal tubing with shorter rubber hose conecting each end.Look at Street Rod and racing catalogs and websites.Get a bracket that holds hose to an engine bolt .
That's not fixing the problem though. Why make all that effort to put a band-aide on something instead of doing it right when you know what it needs :dunno:

Kellena Moedt asked how to post pics. The way to do it now is to open a Comanche Club Image Hosting account and then use their link system to post up.

I think he's asking for some stock pictures from a 2.5.. I would post them for you but I don't have a 2.5, I have the 4.o.

Someone on here could do that I'm sure.....

anybody????? :help:

Gotta get some daytime to do it. I have both 4.0L and 2.5L. The serpentine set up 2.5 is same as 4.0L.

He doesn't have a serpentine setup. I'll try to take pics of both the '86 and the '88 over Thanksgiving and post 'em up.

Looks like a longer hose might work. Your hose looks a little bloated anyway and also looks to maybe have been trimmed down? How much travel in the adjustment of that belt? Shorter/longer belt maybe? You don't need much. No $$ loss as you would always have a spare. Check your motor mounts.